McLaren Life banner

421 - 440 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Those with cash, what are you guys looking at getting into in the short term?

I’m in waiting for real estate to correct/drop. Being a lagging market, that’s about 12-24 months out.

Not a fan of the stock market... especially now. Too much uncertainty.

My business hasn’t been impacted much. In fact, sales have increased with more people at home.

Just trying to decide what investments would make sense in the short term besides investing in growing my brand.
That’s the million dollar question isn’t it? Especially being in Canada, our markets are relatively thin, especially exotic cars. If CAD strengthens, it would be a great time to import cars from U.S. but probably can’t happen with oil in the gutter.

Canadian dealers leverage the thin market by asking ridiculous prices for used exotics and play the waiting game. There are a few smaller independents that move cars at a lower spread.

If you have your own company that can generate returns and is recession-resistant, there is no better investment than that, at the moment. At least you have full control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
That’s the million dollar question isn’t it? Especially being in Canada, our markets are relatively thin, especially exotic cars. If CAD strengthens, it would be a great time to import cars from U.S. but probably can’t happen with oil in the gutter.

Canadian dealers leverage the thin market by asking ridiculous prices for used exotics and play the waiting game. There are a few smaller independents that move cars at a lower spread.

If you have your own company that can generate returns and is recession-resistant, there is no better investment than that, at the moment. At least you have full control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah... I'm in the health & nutrition space, and it is quite a recession-proof industry. Vitamins & Supplements grew by 10% in the 2008-2009 recession. I expect it to be much more this time around as people are starting to realize Health is truly Wealth.

I had an appointment yesterday to look at a 2019 600LT. Beautiful car... really want to pull the trigger on this. However, they're asking for $299k for a model that's not optioned much. It's a consignment and apparently the owner was an older guy and the car was too raw for him. Has 1100 KMs. I don't know...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Those with cash, what are you guys looking at getting into in the short term?

I’m in waiting for real estate to correct/drop. Being a lagging market, that’s about 12-24 months out.

Not a fan of the stock market... especially now. Too much uncertainty.

My business hasn’t been impacted much. In fact, sales have increased with more people at home.

Just trying to decide what investments would make sense in the short term besides investing in growing my brand.
No comment on Canada RE market, but I wouldn't expect much of a drop in RE in the US. Think about it:

1. Interest rates super low making mortgages more affordable than ever.
2. Lending standards went way up after 2009 and so borrowers are way more reliable.
3. Prices have got up a lot meaning people have tons of equity nowadays from the low base they started with.

Even with people out of work, it's not really the people with mortgages who are the ones losing their jobs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah... I'm in the health & nutrition space, and it is quite a recession-proof industry. Vitamins & Supplements grew by 10% in the 2008-2009 recession. I expect it to be much more this time around as people are starting to realize Health is truly Wealth.

I had an appointment yesterday to look at a 2019 600LT. Beautiful car... really want to pull the trigger on this. However, they're asking for $299k for a model that's not optioned much. It's a consignment and apparently the owner was an older guy and the car was too raw for him. Has 1100 KMs. I don't know...
Not sure about the 600LT coupe, but as of last Friday, some very well equipped 2020 600LT Spiders are out there for $220-235k USD, real-world price. Consignor sales often ask moonshot money.

·
Registered
997 Posts
New car smell is great but for me not the difference-maker. Suppose I wanted a second P1 in my garage, where do I go? I'd have to find one preowned right? Would you pass simply because it wasn't "new"?
obviously if you want a discontinued car your getting used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know the residual value and money factor on a 5k, 36 month lease for both the 720s Coupe and Spider. Thanks!
I was recently quoted a 63% residual on a new 2020 720S Spider at 36 mos/5,000 miles per year. Please share if you have been quoted something different.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Helios Orange
42 Posts
I can't speak on the 720s, as I honestly don't like them and wasn't in the market for one. I did however, just purchase a 295K MSRP 600LT for 192k Delivered out of state. Over 100K off MSRP and the car is only 8 months old.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't speak on the 720s, as I honestly don't like them and wasn't in the market for one. I did however, just purchase a 295K MSRP 600LT for 192k Delivered out of state. Over 100K off MSRP and the car is only 8 months old.
Congrats. Tell us more. Pics. Miles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also have an NSX, a '19, a grossly underrated car. I was able to get a new car for less than $140k last year since they were taking $20k off the price if you went through Honda Financial, and they weren't really selling many cars. For a 3800 lb car its a blast and if it didn't have so much battery weight it could challenge almost everything, and everything works ALL THE TIME. But , I'm still looking for a 720.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have an NSX, a '19, a grossly underrated car. I was able to get a new car for less than $140k last year since they were taking $20k off the price if you went through Honda Financial, and they weren't really selling many cars. For a 3800 lb car its a blast and if it didn't have so much battery weight it could challenge almost everything, and everything works ALL THE TIME. But , I'm still looking for a 720.
Would you trade the NSX, or 720 would be an addition?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Would you trade the NSX, or 720 would be an addition?
I loved my second gen NSX. With better wheels and an SOS exhaust, it looked great and actually sounded pretty good. Traded mine for a 720S last summer. No comparison. The honda is better built, but the 720 just just destroys it in performance and presence.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I loved my second gen NSX. With better wheels and an SOS exhaust, it looked great and actually sounded pretty good. Traded mine for a 720S last summer. No comparison. The honda is better built, but the 720 just just destroys it in performance and presence.
No doubt. I'm just fortunate that I'm able to keep the NSX. I mean if someone walked up with cash I'd maybe think twice, but I do love the NSX.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dude, that is wild. What was it listed at? Ie, how much off list did you manage to get? Can't imagine it was listed at $192k. Enjoy in good health.

·
Registered
44 Posts

nice spec for the price

That's a lot of car for that price. I wanted and bought new when I purchased but that would have been tough to ignore if a similar deal was available then.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
This is anecdotal, but I recently bought a new 2020 Ram truck. GSM of the dealership is a good personal friend and we had a few lengthy conversations about how COVID-19 has affected the market. In summary the first 30 days (march through first week of April) was brutal. No sales. The "cheap" money from banks however has literally allowed him to sell most of his good inventory. Another friend of mine that runs a used car dealership has also said the same. Strong sales are back. Obviously a $70K truck isnt the same market as a $350K supercar, but I do think that the general trend is that the Mainheim auction values were artificially low. The deals may be there for now, but it doesnt look to be a permanent fixture or an indelible mark on the value of our cars.

on a somewhat related note, I read an article sayting that McLaren was putting up MTC and their Mac collection as collateral for debt. If McLaren becomes insolvent, that could spell huge problems for our values.

421 - 440 of 540 Posts