McLaren Life banner

401 - 420 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
A nice Spec 720S just at auction for $125k pounds. Yikes. Look out below for super car prices. My prediction is 720S is a $150k-$175k (used of course) car by years end unless dealers are just willing to sit on inventory until economy rolls back. For those who leased, enjoy!!!
Why would you keep posting the lowest examples that you find on multiple car forums?

Car Auctions are generally dealer transactions at wholesale values. Retail customers generally do not buy cars from auctions. If someone is selling a car without a reserve then that in itself tells you something about their financial situation. Is it more newsworthy when a car sells for a low price in a place that is wholesale pricing (auctions) vs. a car that doesn't sell because it didn't meet the reserve...

Car auctions are the worst place to try to determine values. It's a place where a lot of gamesmanship happens (especially for cars that transact close to or above what dealers are asking)... A couple of years ago a 918 (Non weissach) sold for $1.8 million at an auction whereas the asking prices were $1.2 million.... yeah right on it being a real sale (I started getting offers on good deals for $1.6 from people who were asking for $1.2 million just before that particular car sold).

From what I've seen; first time exotic car buyers want to be the first butt in the seat (they'd go in a car for $300K (lease) rather than buying one for $210K from a third party dealer).

Once you get a whole bunch of non story cars at similar price levels then once can start sensing price levels (not auction prices and definitely not one off car prices on cargurus, autotrader, etc.).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why would you keep posting the lowest examples that you find on multiple car forums?

Car Auctions are generally dealer transactions at wholesale values. Retail customers generally do not buy cars from auctions. If someone is selling a car without a reserve then that in itself tells you something about their financial situation. Is it more newsworthy when a car sells for a low price in a place that is wholesale pricing (auctions) vs. a car that doesn't sell because it didn't meet the reserve...

Car auctions are the worst place to try to determine values. It's a place where a lot of gamesmanship happens (especially for cars that transact close to or above what dealers are asking)... A couple of years ago a 918 (Non weissach) sold for $1.8 million at an auction whereas the asking prices were $1.2 million.... yeah right on it being a real sale (I started getting offers on good deals for $1.6 from people who were asking for $1.2 million just before that particular car sold).

From what I've seen; first time exotic car buyers want to be the first butt in the seat (they'd go in a car for $300K (lease) rather than buying one for $210K from a third party dealer).

Once you get a whole bunch of non story cars at similar price levels then once can start sensing price levels (not auction prices and definitely not one off car prices on cargurus, autotrader, etc.).
You can ignore what happening but that doesn’t mean it’s happening any less. No idea what the longer term value impact is, but the now-year end impact is real.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A nice Spec 720S just at auction for $125k pounds. Yikes. Look out below for super car prices. My prediction is 720S is a $150k-$175k (used of course) car by years end unless dealers are just willing to sit on inventory until economy rolls back. For those who leased, enjoy!!!
I found the link: 2018 MCLAREN 720S - PERFORMANCE

Per Autotrader UK, 720 prices were already comfortably in the $185-195k USD range, and this one is ~$160k USD. It seems like your "average Joe" can get on the site and make a purchase without a dealer license. Not sure if this is an anomaly or an extreme leading indicator. I also wonder if the no reserve approach just happened to backfire in this instance. E.g. not enough 720 buyers on the site at the time, but would have been a different story at a different time...who knows.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Anyone have a price prediction for South Korea?...

I don't understand posters on car forums. JBtexas tells everyone his deal/car payment, gets potential buyers all juiced up and then leaves out the point of the tax credit which isn't available to just about everyone else shopping for one...

fwiw; I feel sorry for you guys getting the 24 month lease with a high residual. If this is you're first entry point into a Mclaren, then you are getting the most significant/GOAT of all regular production supercars of all time... Not sure where you guys will go after 24 months because you are going to be really spoiled with how good 720s really is.
Give it up and let it be, mate. You are sounding ridiculous. Again.

dam.png

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
GBP prices are unique. Unlike EUR, they've always been reasonably well adjusted for forex. However, the GBP has shit the bed in recent years and so prices can look cheaper than they otherwise would be in USD terms.

Remember, it was only in 2018 that GBP/USD was 1.41. Now it's 1.25 and sometimes even lower. If GBP went back up to 1.4, it would still sell for 125K GBP, but the USD price would be more where you expect for wholesale at around $175K.

And remember, GBP cars are LHD cars, i.e. no one outside of UK really wants them. Small market, very weak currency, pandemic... I believe it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess I was hoping for individuals who have been in the exotic market for longer than I to comment. Economic downturns due to viruses have been a recurring theme in the past (i.e SARS) and I was wondering how exotic car values fluctuated during similar time periods.
On my 4th McLaren in 6 years and have had all the usual exotic brands too times to write (and not wanting to sound like an arrogant jerk). Your observations are spot on in my opinion. Titanic real-world depreciation is affecting the entire sports car market above $200,000 and used models are dropping below traditional floor values. I'm talking about cars still under factory warranty and talking pre-COVID19. Nobody can say for sure how much or how long but if you see the same units sitting for 6-8 months on Cars.com, you can decide for yourself what that means. If you buy, make sure you can accept the loss because moving expensive vehicles may not be as easy going forward as we have all come to expect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do the majority of folks on this forum that drive 720s really concern themselves with depreciation? These are emotional purchases with absolutely zero value other than they make us feel good. If you are concerned about how far your dollar is going to go - or how much your dollar today will be worth in 6,12,18 months - maybe that dollar shouldn't go into a ridiculous super car purchase?

I have seen tons of posts here, on Reddit, and on some FB groups with people endlessly bitching about the Track25 plan and how much it causes the current model to depreciate when the new model comes out 4 years later...

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have seen tons of posts here, on Reddit, and on some FB groups with people endlessly bitching about the Track25 plan and how much it causes the current model to depreciate when the new model comes out 4 years later...
It’s easy to talk online. Mclaren offers a unique experience for the $. Take it or leave it. Ferrari and lambo and Porsche does also. Plenty of choices and no one needs to justify how they want to spend or waste money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To each his own but why spend $400k for a new one when 3 months later you can buy the same car for $300k and only 1000 miles on the odometer? If $100k is that unimportant to you every time you make an emotional car purchase you are one lucky lucky person.

·
Registered
997 Posts
To each his own but why spend $400k for a new one when 3 months later you can buy the same car for $300k and only 1000 miles on the odometer? If $100k is that unimportant to you every time you make an emotional car purchase you are one lucky lucky person.
Some people like new. Some people like used. Same as other cars in recent times. But it costs to be the first on the block.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Then again you can argue, with the current lease terms that McLaren is throwing out, purchasing used 1 doesn't make much sense anymore. Why buy a used 2 year old coupe for $5K/Month payment ( Assuming a 225K car) when you can lease 1 for about 2500/month with almost nothing down and turn it in at either 24 or 36 months

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
thats a slight exaggeration. Your depreciation estimates are probably closer to 1 year later... which means you just lost 1 year driving a killer supercar...
life is too short to wait 1 year and try to time the market. sorry.

and btw, thats with most supercars... you can get an F8 new at a slight discount to msrp... and skip the stupid prior Ferrari wait lists which is now gone. the world has changed for any supercar... EVO at slight discounts... and the list goes on and on... other brands depreciation are starting to reflect McLaren’s.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’ve always felt like on purchases like these if I can’t afford a complete loss on the car then I shouldn’t be buying it YMMV.

That being said, I still want to make a smart purchase and with the depreciation Mac is known for, and especially with COVID, I don’t like the idea of buying a new Mac, or really any super car right now.

I have no problem buying something lightly used that’s already taken a bit of depreciation hit. I don’t necessarily need the latest and greatest. Again YMMV.

Last year I bought a GT3RS for under msrp with only 1200 miles when most were still paying ADM. This year I bought a fully loaded 600LT with about 2300 on the clock for WAY under msrp (COVID discount).

I really like the 765LT and will probably buy one when they have been out for a year at a good discount. In the mean time I will be enjoying the hell out of my GT3RS and 600LT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve always felt like on purchases like these if I can’t afford a complete loss on the car then I shouldn’t be buying it YMMV.

That being said, I still want to make a smart purchase and with the depreciation Mac is known for, and especially with COVID, I don’t like the idea of buying a new Mac, or really any super car right now.

I have no problem buying something lightly used that’s already taken a bit of depreciation hit. I don’t necessarily need the latest and greatest. Again YMMV.

Last year I bought a GT3RS for under msrp with only 1200 miles when most were still paying ADM. This year I bought a fully loaded 600LT with about 2300 on the clock for WAY under msrp (COVID discount).

I really like the 765LT and will probably buy one when they have been out for a year at a good discount. In the mean time I will be enjoying the hell out of my GT3RS and 600LT.
Mind me asking, how much did you pay for the 600LT?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mind me asking, how much did you pay for the 600LT?
Sure, I already posted it in a thread somewhere here. $235k. It basically had every option checked. Roof scoop, fender vents, every carbon option, senna seats, aftermarket wheels and tires plus oems, Novitech exhaust and tune, 3/4 PPF, ceramic coat, integrated radar detector and laser jammers, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those with cash, what are you guys looking at getting into in the short term?

I’m in waiting for real estate to correct/drop. Being a lagging market, that’s about 12-24 months out.

Not a fan of the stock market... especially now. Too much uncertainty.

My business hasn’t been impacted much. In fact, sales have increased with more people at home.

Just trying to decide what investments would make sense in the short term besides investing in growing my brand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sure, I already posted it in a thread somewhere here. $235k. It basically had every option checked. Roof scoop, fender vents, every carbon option, senna seats, aftermarket wheels and tires plus oems, Novitech exhaust and tune, 3/4 PPF, ceramic coat, integrated radar detector and laser jammers, etc.
Wow... you just talked me out of buying a 2019 600LT with 1100 KMs. Dealer is asking for $299k CAD. You paid about $329K CAD for a fully optioned one. The one I’m looking at doesn’t have too many options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some people like new. Some people like used. Same as other cars in recent times. But it costs to be the first on the block.
New car smell is great but for me not the difference-maker. Suppose I wanted a second P1 in my garage, where do I go? I'd have to find one preowned right? Would you pass simply because it wasn't "new"?

401 - 420 of 538 Posts