McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a 2012 McLaren MP-4 12C. I am very please with the car and am considering trading it in for a spider. For those of you that have done this is there a noticeable difference observed when driving the car with the top up...(squeels, rattles, body flex, weather stripping issues) Im assuming really no difference in performance. I would appreciate your comments

·
Administrator
2,721 Posts
Hi All, I have a 2012 McLaren MP-4 12C. I am very please with the car and am considering trading it in for a spider. For those of you that have done this is there a noticeable difference observed when driving the car with the top up...(squeels, rattles, body flex, weather stripping issues) Im assuming really no difference in performance. I would appreciate your comments
None of the above. With the top up, if you did not know any better you would think it is a coupe.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I find it actually nicer due to the rear window you can open.

View to the back left and right is a bit worse though I think.

But I like the spider much more than the coupe anyway...

People often do not notice that it's a convertible either, it's hard to see at first glance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There's none of this at all. It's better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just asked Ritesh the same question. Going from Coupe to Spider. He explained it very well, but I'll let him respond to you here. He said its much better, especially quality from 20012 to 2013/2014.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the responses, well appreciated. I figured based on the reviews the response was going to be none of the above. I really love the look of the spider top up as well as down.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you for all the responses, well appreciated. I figured based on the reviews the response was going to be none of the above. I really love the look of the spider top up as well as down.
Me too. I think it looks awesome. Hoping to pick my 2014 in a few weeks here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
167 Posts
Went from coupe to spider. More excitement with zero disappointment.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I went from a 2012 Coupe to a 2013 Spider so I will try to answer your question:

PRO's:

1. It looks better. The 2 louvers behind the B pillars give it a Carrera GT style look.
2. It sound MUCH MUCH better. Even with the top up I drive with the rear glass window an inch lower. It gives you the majority of the aural experience. With the top down it is obviously better. Partially, this is because McLaren has made the engine/exhaust note more prominent with time. You get more burbles and downshift related sounds.
3. Top down experience is amazing. Just putting the top down is cool origami show. It brings out the personality of a car that was somewhat introverted to begin with.
4. You lose NONE of the rigidity. I repeat - I can't tell the difference in rigidity between coupe and spider. I drove the first few times with the my hand of the A pillar to see if I could feel any cowl shake. I did it over many of the roughest roads then I noticed it once. You still couldn't feel it. The driving experience is the same as a Coupe.
5. Build quality: Everthing works. No electric issues, no IRIS freeze ups. I found one plastic panel with the top down that doesn't quite match the other side. I haven't had any error messages in 2.5 months and 850 miles. Just the fact that you are buying a car with VIN # over 2500 is a big plus. There quality control has improved with more time and practice.

CONS:

1. You lose the 2 cu. ft of space behind the seats. That was great for purses, camera bags and folding chairs. I used it so many times when I had the coupe.
2. Hard to see traffic when you are turning on a curvy road. You lose most of the side/hind quarter visibility unless you are at a perfect 90 degrees intersection.
3. Big trade in hit on the coupe when you trade it in. Probably the biggest issue for most people.
4. Get more attention then you did in the coupe. It does get a bit old for me.
5. Top mechanism is 88 lbs. The car geeks in us might not like that fact but you can't tell from driving it.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I drove a spider round brands hatch recently.. all day.. couldn't tell it wasn't a coupe... they have done a great job... no doubt about it..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When my car has been parked next to my buddies Spyder, the comments I have heard regarding looks have been the reverse. They have all made a point to come up to me and let me know the coupe looks better. When I had my Performante, I have to agree though, I loved driving around with the top up, and the rear glass window down, the sound was amazing.

I pretty much drive around all the time with the windows cracked to add more sound excitement in all my coupes, but a Spyder would certainly add more volume, I am not too excited to take a huge hit, just to add a little more noise, and the 88 lbs. When the used market for coupe vs. Spyder gets closer, I might consider making a change. For now, my next $100k will go towards upgrading my 2013 Italia coupe to the Speciale'.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
When my car has been parked next to my buddies Spyder, the comments I have heard regarding looks have been the reverse. They have all made a point to come up to me and let me know the coupe looks better. When I had my Performante, I have to agree though, I loved driving around with the top up, and the rear glass window down, the sound was amazing.

I pretty much drive around all the time with the windows cracked to add more sound excitement in all my coupes, but a Spyder would certainly add more volume, I am not too excited to take a huge hit, just to add a little more noise, and the 88 lbs. When the used market for coupe vs. Spyder gets closer, I might consider making a change. For now, my next $100k will go towards upgrading my 2013 Italia coupe to the Speciale'.
for the love of god make sure they stitch the pony right this time. ! :p:p:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
This to all: sub 1500 ViNs.

Have those cars been prone to most of the mechanical and iris issues?

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Car has been mechanically flawless in my 2k of ownership. IRIS, paint, windshield, head lights....different story, but all warranty items.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
for the love of god make sure they stitch the pony right this time. ! :p:p:D:D:D:D
Yes I agree. It was the Dealer's fault for not faxing the second form which included the little extras I wanted for my seats. :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts