McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:Dhas anyone tried 100 octane yet? i dont want to do anything to hurt my warranty so im curious to see if others have tried this?
also curious, if you change to sport cats/catless pipes will the ISG still be effective (post upgrade car)? im just wondering if you can keep the cabin quiet and have the outide sound agressive?
last, what are owners using to keep black plastic vents around engine clean. they seem to get that faded look pretty quickly.
thx guys

·
Registered
21 Posts
100 octane wont give any bump in power unless you have an ECU tune that increases the boost. A basic tune could be done to give you more power, and unless you tune past the pre-ignition/detonation point of pump fuel. The ISG isnt affected by an exhaust. If you disconnect the ISG noise in the cabin will be reduced, but an aftermarket exhaust will obviously give more noise.

·
Registered
691 Posts
After the upgrade you can control the ISG separately from the powetrain toggle. So you can be in "track" and "quiet." There has never been any adjustability to the sound OUTSIDE the car.

Though I have a feeling an awful lot of folks are going to start getting Spider exhaust systems for their coupes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the upgrade you can control the ISG separately from the powetrain toggle. So you can be in "track" and "quiet." There has never been any adjustability to the sound OUTSIDE the car.

Though I have a feeling an awful lot of folks are going to start getting Spider exhaust systems for their coupes.
i thought the exhaust was identical to the coupe. i figured with the top down or the back window down it was louder.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you look in past the exhaust tip on a spider, the can inside there is obviously different to the coupe's standard or sport exhaust systems.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The spider exhaust sounds very different - much cooler. I know it's going to be a hot item <pauses for collective groan> - though I don't know if it's a straight swap or not.

·
Registered
886 Posts
100 octane unleaded worked great for me and does allow the car to make more power. More octane headroom allows the computer to not pull timing. 91 vs. 100 makes a measurable improvement to me, especially in hot conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
100 octane unleaded worked great for me and does allow the car to make more power. More octane headroom allows the computer to not pull timing. 91 vs. 100 makes a measurable improvement to me, especially in hot conditions.
Extremely hot weather and 91 octane can be a poor combination. Under normal conditions 100 octane wont make more power than 93 octane. The ECU is calibrated to work optimally with 93 octane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts