McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, apologies for the title, music etc - the guy who put this together likes to go over the top. We took 8 hours of go-pro, so he'll probably do more than just this one.

Hopefully the vid shows what an absolutely awesome track this is - 3.4 miles, 20 turns, tons of elevation change, very technical, its got everything you need to scare the poop out of you. Several of the drivers found this out to their cost - I think 3 or 4 cars were totalled over the three days. Even with loads of run-off, you can still hit stuff because the speeds are so high, typically I'd make 160+ on the back straight and 135 on the pit straight.

You get to see my GT briefly at one point (its the blue one - I must have been insane to let him drive it up there and track it!)) and you also get to see the facilities as I leave the course to fill up - this was a reguar event after each session, I was averaging one gallon per lap!

Next time I'll go full track-track (the course is so smooth I left the handling in sport all weekend)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryS-pqOk4fA&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Tex,you look far too young to be retired!!! Impressive how she pulls away from the GT3,what lovely weather you have over there.! Because the track was so smooth i wish you had tried track,maybe that would have helped you keep more ahead of the gt3 in the corners as well as the straights???

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
OK, apologies for the title, music etc - the guy who put this together likes to go over the top. We took 8 hours of go-pro, so he'll probably do more than just this one.

Hopefully the vid shows what an absolutely awesome track this is - 3.4 miles, 20 turns, tons of elevation change, very technical, its got everything you need to scare the poop out of you. Several of the drivers found this out to their cost - I think 3 or 4 cars were totalled over the three days. Even with loads of run-off, you can still hit stuff because the speeds are so high, typically I'd make 160+ on the back straight and 135 on the pit straight.

You get to see my GT briefly at one point (its the blue one - I must have been insane to let him drive it up there and track it!)) and you also get to see the facilities as I leave the course to fill up - this was a reguar event after each session, I was averaging one gallon per lap!

Next time I'll go full track-track (the course is so smooth I left the handling in sport all weekend)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryS-pqOk4fA&feature=youtu.be
Very nicely done Tex, the beginning in black and white was a little mesmerizing due to the pulsation effect. As for the Billy Idol song Rebel Yell its fitting, when ever I play that song in my car it makes me want to drive fast. So hope to see more mesmerizing video footage of the McLaren dominating the COTA. Yeeee....haaaa....??

·
Registered
983 Posts
AWESOME video!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Lol, when you were leaving the track, the video speed makes it look like you thought you were still on the track! ;)

Cool video, but really wish music was exhanged for engine noise from inside the car. Many videos use an exterior microphone, and usually all you end up hearing is annoying distortion from the wind noise.

Really cool to see the 12C just leave everything in the dust behind when you accelerated out of each corner.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the guys took a video of me coming up the pit straight and its really weird - you don't hear any exhaust noise, just whistling turbos. I'll see if I can post this.
Re: my car, box- stock, street tires. Some of the other GT boys running there were making 2:34 too, but on Hoosier slicks and with 800+ whippled engines. This in no way reflects my driving skills, its ALL about the car, which would flatter any driver. The pick- up out of corners is mind-boggling!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great video and the track looks fantastic. Wonder why you didn't run with 'aero' on?
Can't wait to join the track days on COTA!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Great Video Dave!! I wish I wasn't on the waiting list. It would have been fun to meet up.

How long does it take your guy to edit and do all that. I wish I had the patience to do all the video editing.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ritesh, we've got 8 hours+ from 4 different cameras. We give it all to a friend-of-a-friend Techhie, and voila! A couple of days later this shows up in the inbox. All it costs is a pizza lunch. He's working on more at the moment and I'll post when done

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here's the quick shot of the pit straight, and the weird noise the cars makes. I was shifting into fifth under the bridge and hitting 135 before the hard uphill brake into turn one's hairpin

http://youtu.be/XvAHyp7f19k

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lasr one I promise! This is me playing around with a bad-ass Supra. There's also a bit of my GT at the start. I think this video was from when I was turning my quickest laps and you can see that I've still got more in reserve - never did the the hang of turn 19-20 onto the pit straight, I always over-braked going into 19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35x5rpgSDGw&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great vids David! Thanks! I need to get onto that track asap.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Lasr one I promise! This is me playing around with a bad-ass Supra. There's also a bit of my GT at the start. I think this video was from when I was turning my quickest laps and you can see that I've still got more in reserve - never did the the hang of turn 19-20 onto the pit straight, I always over-braked going into 19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35x5rpgSDGw&feature=youtu.be
think you can allow yourself that error dave... even vettel struggled with that section.. off camber.. must be insanely hard to actually drive it..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great vids David! Thanks! I need to get onto that track asap.
Sanjay

I don't see an Azure Blue 12c listed under your name! Did you or didn't you?

Re: the track, I'm hoping it will be the site of our first annual Owners rally, maybe your Mum can help with accomodations? The track will spoil you for any other circuit.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Sanjay

I don't see an Azure Blue 12c listed under your name! Did you or didn't you?

Re: the track, I'm hoping it will be the site of our first annual Owners rally, maybe your Mum can help with accomodations? The track will spoil you for any other circuit.
He is looking at a couple options I believe?

·
Registered
42 Posts
David...not yet....I'll send you her info, and she'll be glad to help! Have you picked out dates yet?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
David...not yet....I'll send you her info, and she'll be glad to help! Have you picked out dates yet?
Holy cow, do you still own all the cars in your signature? If so, baby Jay Leno!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts