McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just asked for a quote as dealer incorrectly sent me a reminder for my two year service three months early!

Quoted £2274.00 UK.

Has anyone else been given a figure and how does this compare (£1895 plus VAT).

EVO magazine mentioned in this months edition that it was £1369, but not sure if was ex VAT and was probably ex installation.

Thought it appropriate to keep discussion within the owners area.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Zippy, What do you get, hardware and functionality wise?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Checked the £1369 was a pointless quote by EVO as that's for the hardware ONLY,the rest is for labour to fit,Of course EVO can fit it themselves like many customers who would buY it off the shelf also:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've just been quoted the same cost...
Hopefully able to source me a unit and fitted this week whilst the car is in..

I still can't get my car to sync to my phone- tried a new unit in the dealers car and worked perfectly- it did link via Bluetooth for the music too.

My current thinking is that come resale time it'll be expected within the car and I'll be knocked down on cost for trade in etc.., this way I at least get to use/enjoy the system that I'm paying for.
Like many here in the UK I do use my car, so the telephone and more so the sat-nav will add to my enjoyment of the car further..

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zippy, What do you get, hardware and functionality wise?
Sorry RIC, I didn't enquire, as I just asked for the price, but I have been told that the stereo now goes up to 110 :D

As Gary has said, looks like you will loose out come resale time if you don't get it and now will probably be the cheapest that it is ever offered.

My service not due until end of Jan 2014 so hopefully they still offer the upgrade.

Will be interesting to hear Gary's take on it, if they can track a unit down quickly.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The unit has been sourced for me- very happy about that :)
It's being fitted this week and should be in my hands for next week.

I pointed out that the phone sync'ing and the navigation were quite important to me (which it is as I travel in the car) so this should tick all the boxes :)
They couldn't get the phone to work, so I mentioned that the new IRIS would give me a solution I'd be happy with- although I accept this isn't perfect as it should work anyhow!!

The reason for the car going in the first instance was tracker issues- I couldn't renew the subscription as they couldn't ping my car..:confused:
Some will remember that I've had various tracker issues over the past 12months and the instance of the alarm going off yet tracker did not, certainly did concern me.
With the lack of communication to the car at the moment, they have finally decided to fit an entire new unit- so hopefully the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I can confirm that the £2274 is the cost for the entire job- which includes £20 for the operators manual :eek:

So far I've just used the car for a 50miles trip from the dealer to home so first reports based on that experience, I may go and have a read of my manual and press a few more buttons to get to learn the new system, the tech was quite honest and said a lot of it was new to them also, so they were finding their way around it.

Upon entry to the car and powering up the system it had already located my phone, the previous system for whatever reason would not sync, this had done so quickly and painlessly and took the contacts into its directory.
I was shown around the system with us both learning together- I was assisted in turning the overspeed warning off, it can get quite annoying apparently ;)

I found the layout quite easy to follow, it does take a few seconds for the different things to start up- the radio included, the sat-nav did take quite a while.
The radio was a joy to use and similar to an ipad music folder you simply flicked across the radio stations it had found locally, luckily all BBC radio stations were shown, so it was a simple case to press and hold in my favourites button, the radio stayed tuned and strongly connected all the way home, the sound seemed much richer with more bass but that may simply be a tuning setup.

I made a telephone call to the wife (obviously at an inconvenient time, as she wasn't too amused when I came out with an 80's saying of 'I'm calling from the car' :)
I was travelling at McLaren motorway speeds and she said she could hear my clearly, I could certainly hear her!!
It was only a brief call but the sound was constant and non of the crackling from the previous incarnation.

Music player from the phone work instantly over the Bluetooth and you can operate from both the phone and the IRIS panel. I only played one track before going to the radio.

The satnav did seem quite obvious in its operation, and whilst its a couple of screen presses to enter the address page, it is so easily laid out for entering address apart from possibly the buttons do go very close to the edge of the panel and those to the right are a little more awkward to press correctly.
Information on the screen is astounding, it even told me the incline of the hill :confused: my route was via a couple of motorways and lined up across the top of the screen is a list of the blue motorway signs in order that they are needed- M5, M42, M6.
The layout of the screen is excellent and uses the portrait layout wonderfully with you (the cursor) towards the bottom of the screen with the roads ahead clearly displayed.- you've seen the pictures.
I did divert from my route and it was quite quick- (before the next junction) to have found the alternative route. Petrol stations and other POI were shown on the map but I'd guess these are available or not via the settings.
I'm not sure if my TTom does it, but it counts down to the next junction/turn you need to do in time as well as miles.
The hardest thing of the satnav was cancelling the route- which is a couple of presses via the button and setting

The screen touch is lovely for those used to a Ipad etc, then you'll like the feel, the icons are clear and are the ones most of us are now used to.

I'm going to have a press of a few more buttons after have a man read of the manual this evening
I've not ventured into any of the other features as yet, as these mentioned were the important ones for me to get the best out of the car.

This is all IMHO and from the drive home:cool:

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Sounds excellent gsry.. Glad you're pleased with it... Hope you jkheit and labeille continue to update us when you can.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Reading the manual it does refer to a traffic update (I'll read through it again) but I found the app that's labelled maps is google maps and has the coloured roads to indicate traffic conditions- although admittedly that wouldn't reroute you.
From experience the TMC has saved me a fair few times, especially coming back into the UK and deciding whether to do the M25 anti or clockwise :eek:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got mine ordered now thro McLaren Manchester, hoping to get it fitted as soon as it arrives in stock, hopefully next week :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Got mine today from the fine folks at McLaren NB and it cost $3540, and they got it installed beautifully in one day. Sean went through it with me, and I cannot tell you what a huge improvement this is. The Bluetooth is fantastic, Navigation is incredible only annoying feature is the Speed Limit (easily turned off), and the Music Streaming. I just can't say enough about how great it is.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Glad you've seen the improvements too. :cool:

I posted elsewhere but worth repeating that it has completely changed my wifes opinion of the car and she feels it adds to the car.

One of my other gripes had been how bright the screen was at night and the inability to turn just the screen off.
This is now resolved and makes night time use with say the radio and nav on, so much more easy.

·
Owner
544 Posts
I must admit that i haven't used my IRIS much, nor has its faults really affected me ( apart from when a large part of Germany was blank as i was heading from Belgium to Cologne...haha.). With regards to the notion that by not upgrading you are hurting the residual value, i think this is the least of our worries.....2012 cars advertised for £134k sucks (list price £200k) proves the point....

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I would be surprised to see residuals impacted other than if two cars on offer and one has Sister of Iris then that will, presumably, sell first.

Surely buyers will buy the bargain 12C for it's super car ownership prospects and not some tarted up Sister of Iris with its attendant improvements?

If your car has Mother of Iris and the swipe it will become a sort after collectors item just after Star Wars 8 , Doris Strikes the Evil Empire Back, is released in 2023.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I would be surprised to see residuals impacted other than if two cars on offer and one has Sister of Iris then that will, presumably, sell first.

Surely buyers will buy the bargain 12C for it's super car ownership prospects and not some tarted up Sister of Iris with its attendant improvements?

If your car has Mother of Iris and the swipe it will become a sort after collectors item just after Star Wars 8 , Doris Strikes the Evil Empire Back, is released in 2023.
You went for the audition didn't you Ric? You do qualify being a smart young man after all!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I tried hard to bluff being a teenager, even said my Mac was wicked, but they sussed me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts