McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the car back this weekend after the first year's service.
I had a few concerns about the car, which had been utterly brilliant all year, but I did get a surprise when they took the car back to the factory to examine the wings for corrosion. The front wings were subsequently removed and replaced under warranty, so that McLaren can test the panels, which had corroded along the edges I'm told. I also had the wheel centres and exhaust tips replaced for corrosion. Well, I did use the car all winter, but didn't expect that! The wings are perfect now, but the new stealth exhaust tips look little better than the old ones, they seem to have no coating on at all. They look slightly rusty though brand new!
I had had a problem with a sticking throttle, but this was apparently due to grit on the carpet. - all seems ok now, so hopefully that's right.
Previously I had found the car rather sluggish if using manual over-ride in auto to change down and accelerate hard. The car could actually “hang” for a few seconds before accelerating – not helpful! Now however there have been the very latest electronic updates to the transmission, which has been transformed. There is now no need to use “active” and “track” in normal driving (which formerly did not overcome the difficulty). Now the gearchange over-ride is instantaneous, up or down, and acceleration awesome, even without any other than normal settings. Brilliant!
What else? I had noted on this forum that some front windscreens had cracked, and when I had checked mine, there was a small crack developing in the black portion where the mirror is fixed. They duly replaced the screen under warranty.
My rear tyres were half worn and the fronts just worn on the inside edges and still serviceable except I had hit a kerb with the left front, and there was a consequent bulge that I had not seen, and the fronts only were replaced after 12,400 miles including 2 Mclaren track days. (Great durability, but I do respect the machinery some of the time, and there were a lot of motorway miles.)
I asked if the ISG system diaphragm could be left or removed, rather than replaced, but was told that it was effectively part of the engine, could not be removed, and as part of the engine, must be regularly replaced, as in the schedule. Does anyone have any more info on this?
Having had a miserable 3 weeks without the car, on being re-united, I am amazed by it. It is just awesome! Better than ever before! Apart from instantaneous gearchanges and startling acceleration, it is remarkably different when cruising, changing up much more quickly, into 6th and 7th really early. It will be interesting to retest the economy on a really long run next weekend. It was good before; we shall see....

·
Registered
964 Posts
Did they mention anything on the new IRIS?
Just reading EVO, they have had their car upgraded at a cost of £1369- although he seems very happy with the results.
You did well on the fronts, I got 10K with a single trackday but wore completely flat..

·
Registered
312 Posts
Since I don't speak proper English - what is it you refer to as 'wings'?
:p

I received the car back this weekend after the first year's service.
I had a few concerns about the car, which had been utterly brilliant all year, but I did get a surprise when they took the car back to the factory to examine the wings for corrosion. The front wings were subsequently removed and replaced under warranty, so that McLaren can test the panels, which had corroded along the edges I'm told. I also had the wheel centres and exhaust tips replaced for corrosion. Well, I did use the car all winter, but didn't expect that! The wings are perfect now, but the new stealth exhaust tips look little better than the old ones, they seem to have no coating on at all. They look slightly rusty though brand new!
I had had a problem with a sticking throttle, but this was apparently due to grit on the carpet. - all seems ok now, so hopefully that's right.
Previously I had found the car rather sluggish if using manual over-ride in auto to change down and accelerate hard. The car could actually “hang” for a few seconds before accelerating – not helpful! Now however there have been the very latest electronic updates to the transmission, which has been transformed. There is now no need to use “active” and “track” in normal driving (which formerly did not overcome the difficulty). Now the gearchange over-ride is instantaneous, up or down, and acceleration awesome, even without any other than normal settings. Brilliant!
What else? I had noted on this forum that some front windscreens had cracked, and when I had checked mine, there was a small crack developing in the black portion where the mirror is fixed. They duly replaced the screen under warranty.
My rear tyres were half worn and the fronts just worn on the inside edges and still serviceable except I had hit a kerb with the left front, and there was a consequent bulge that I had not seen, and the fronts only were replaced after 12,400 miles including 2 Mclaren track days. (Great durability, but I do respect the machinery some of the time, and there were a lot of motorway miles.)
I asked if the ISG system diaphragm could be left or removed, rather than replaced, but was told that it was effectively part of the engine, could not be removed, and as part of the engine, must be regularly replaced, as in the schedule. Does anyone have any more info on this?
Having had a miserable 3 weeks without the car, on being re-united, I am amazed by it. It is just awesome! Better than ever before! Apart from instantaneous gearchanges and startling acceleration, it is remarkably different when cruising, changing up much more quickly, into 6th and 7th really early. It will be interesting to retest the economy on a really long run next weekend. It was good before; we shall see....

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Fenders CA,if you spoke proper English you would know that fenders are only used on boats to protect the hull from damage :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great - what a relieve, for a moment I thought there was a feature that I had not yet figured out to make these beast really fly :eek:

As for fenders on a boat - of course I know that you are now pulling my leg :D

Joking aside - the fenders corroded? They are made of plastic, aren't they?

Fenders CA,if you spoke proper English you would know that fenders are only used on boats to protect the hull from damage :D

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Great - what a relieve, for a moment I thought there was a feature that I had not yet figured out to make these beast really fly :eek:

As for fenders on a boat - of course I know that you are now pulling my leg :D

Joking aside - the fenders corroded? They are made of plastic, aren't they?
That's what I thought also:confused:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the WINGS are made of aluminium, and fenders are usually made of ROPE!
AS to Iris, they said nothing and I paid nothing, so has anyone got or posted full details of what new Iris is or does?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
No, the WINGS are made of aluminium, and fenders are usually made of ROPE!
AS to Iris, they said nothing and I paid nothing, so has anyone got or posted full details of what new Iris is or does?
There is a thread on the new Iris Mark,cant find it,but im sure someone will oblige :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have now found that thread, thanks, Andy. It appears that one can upgrade on request at a considerable cost, as new hardware is required as well as the software. If I ever consider such an upgrade I would want a DAB radio included. It also sounds as though one needs a paired smart phone, which I do not currently have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts