McLaren Life banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am a McLaren Service Advisor and we recommend replacing the old style oteiker squeeze clamps with the newer style spring clamps that McLaren rolled out on the later 570s models and newer. We have found great success with the spring clamps for long term reliability, as the old squeeze clamps are unable to hold the hose tight and cannot be tightened any more as the rubber hose ages and breaks down. We have found that, over time, the spring clamp will continue to stay compressed on the rubber hose long term. I have inserted a spring clamp example down below:

Many people try to replace the old style oteiker squeeze clamps with a screw clamp (discussed here), however, we have found that the screw style clamps end up damaging the hoses over time...causing further leaks. In the past, we have had to replace all hoses and clamps due to screw style clamps being installed and cutting into and ruining the hoses. We have come up with a special package (parts only or parts+install) for upgrading from the earlier squeeze clamps to the new spring style clamps so we can keep 12C's on the road for years to come!

-Travis

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
where were you guys 2months ago?! Thanks for the feedback, do you think the screw/squeeze clamp damage could have been attribute to improper installation? I have never seen tons of people use these clamps including other car manufacturers with success.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
We checked the hoses and clamps when we did a recent service. One year in and everything looks great, zero leaks. I'm thinking as long as they are installed correctly with proper spring tension they should be good.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
thats it, you need a torque driver that does < 20in-lb.

@caraudio1 not to ask the obvious but that residue looks green, g48 is blue; is there a chance the wrong type of coolant was used?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
weird, especially for a relatively new car. Mine were good, Im 2012 with 9k miles

·
Registered
17 Posts
It would not fail due to improper installation. The reason the screw clamps do not work well is because they create an uneven indentation on the coolant hose since the entire clamp is round except for the spot where it screws to tighten. Only in the long term will you see the side effects of this, and at that point, I have had to replace the coolant hoses themselves as well. That is the reason that we recommend using the spring style clamps. They stay tight and apply pressure to the hose evenly around the clamp with nothing digging into the hose. Hope this helps and let me know if you guys need any help getting these or getting them installed and I would love to work up a special rate.

-Travis

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That sounds like the traditional old school screw clamps or are you referring specifically to the 178 series oetikers? I have not personally tested the 178 series clamps but the mfr advertises 360 degree uniform/constant tension.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do see that now. The issue that still remains in that, in the long term, the clamp is not self tightening. As the rubber hose inevitably wears down and breaks down a bit, the spring clamp will remain tight since it is a compressed spring. The spring clamp will have to be manually tightened periodically. Installation of spring clamps ensure a tight fit for the long term.

·
Registered
54 Posts
...Hope this helps and let me know if you guys need any help getting these or getting them installed and I would love to work up a special rate.

-Travis
Travis, I'm interested in a clamp kit prior to diving in. Are you still able to ship out kits given the current state of affairs?

Also, can you chime in to confirm what the 12C track cooling pack consists of? From what I have been able to gather, its the 650s/675lt coolant reservoir, updated air bleed hose to match, and a new water pump. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
1 1 0 1211FA009CP COOLING TR 1885.25 - WHOLE KIT

1 1 0 1211L0553LP HEADER-TAN 393.65
1 1 0 1211F0686CP 25 ENGINE WAT 59.03
1 1 0 1211F2434CP 55 GASKET SER 39.51
1 1 0 1211F1468CP 166 DEGAS HOSE 200.12
1 1 0 1214FA021CP 168 ASSY - WAT 2013.66

·
Registered
17 Posts
@nocturnal005 precisely. The track pack consists of the upgraded reservoir, upgraded hose, and upgraded water pump. The 12C's had some issues with cooling, especially when pushing the car hard, and these upgraded components came as standard on the 650s when it came out. McLaren later offered these as an upgrade kit for the 12C if desired.

And yes we are still open, servicing cars and shipping out parts orders! PM me for details

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
609 Posts
I am a McLaren Service Advisor and we recommend replacing the old style oteiker squeeze clamps with the newer style spring clamps that McLaren rolled out on the later 570s models and newer. We have found great success with the spring clamps for long term reliability, as the old squeeze clamps are unable to hold the hose tight and cannot be tightened any more as the rubber hose ages and breaks down. We have found that, over time, the spring clamp will continue to stay compressed on the rubber hose long term. I have inserted a spring clamp example down below:
View attachment 200825
Many people try to replace the old style oteiker squeeze clamps with a screw clamp (discussed here), however, we have found that the screw style clamps end up damaging the hoses over time...causing further leaks. In the past, we have had to replace all hoses and clamps due to screw style clamps being installed and cutting into and ruining the hoses. We have come up with a special package (parts only or parts+install) for upgrading from the earlier squeeze clamps to the new spring style clamps so we can keep 12C's on the road for years to come!

-Travis

Travis,

Please post up the newer 570S style constant tension clamp part numbers and a price for the "kit". I'm sure most would like to know the cost of the parts alone, and you can also quote the number of labor hours as well for those that want to have the dealer to provide the labor to upgrade.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone else find that every year it goes in for service or inspection these things are "sweating". I own my 2012 12c for than 3 years and on 2 or 3 separate occasions these things are a problem. I have the extended coverage and I'm sure there will be a day when they want to charge me for the shit clamps they continuously use on a $300k+ car. I'm glad this forum presents real value and options. Keep up the great sharing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
my assumption would be that once the new clamps are in place there should be no sweating/residue

·
Registered
24 Posts
That would be my assumption as well. Unless of course the dealer is continuing to use subpar clamps. I told the service writer that under no uncertain terms do I expect to ever be spoken to about clamps on a $351k dealer serviced and maintained car that has never not been under warranty since new and has less than 13k miles. There no greater way to harm a brand then that kind of nonsense.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts