McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went through the car looking for signs of coolant leaks and discovered some residue on various hoses. Lower radiator ones were by far the worse. For people who have done this already, have you replaced the upper radiator hose without removing the intake manifold? How many of the smaller hoses have you replaced, there seems to be a ton of clamps everywhere?

T

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
609 Posts
I've heard the number 18 clamps total for "Air and Water" hoses. Thorney Motorsports has a kit I believe it is around £39.99. They also quote the job takes nine hours of labor.

EDIT - (I just ordered a set, after VAT and some steep shipping it works out to be 95.00 US Dollars)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about buying those however I really didnt like the fact that the clamps are .65"... thats 13mm wide vs the stock 9mm. I tested a few 13mm clamps but I did not like the fit, especially on the lower rad hose, it just seemed like the clamp band was overlapping the ribbed area of the fitting. With that said, i have great respect for the guys at thorney and have no doubt the clamps work fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thorney kit seems pretty nice. I purchased some Murray clips on Ebay for the coolant hoses...seemed to work great and easy to replace.

Clamp.jpg

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up with Otiker constant tension clamps in various sizes. From what I can see though there is more then 18clamps. Did you guys replace the small 16mm clamps, like the ones used on the bottom of the coolant res? how about the upper/lower rad hoses up front?

@Shags: that's great, do you remember how you were able to reach the upper rad hose on the engine side, its behind/under the intake manifold?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice Otiker clamps...sorry, I just replaced the bottom ones when I flushed the coolant.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries, The screw on the otikers does get in a way of things sometimes, so not perfect ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I ended up with Otiker constant tension clamps in various sizes. From what I can see though there is more then 18clamps. Did you guys replace the small 16mm clamps, like the ones used on the bottom of the coolant res? how about the upper/lower rad hoses up front?

@Shags: that's great, do you remember how you were able to reach the upper rad hose on the engine side, its behind/under the intake manifold?

where did you buy those?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've heard the number 18 clamps total for "Air and Water" hoses. Thorney Motorsports has a kit I believe it is around £39.99. They also quote the job takes nine hours of labor.

EDIT - (I just ordered a set, after VAT and some steep shipping it works out to be 95.00 US Dollars)

should not have been charged vat if shipped to the us.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I figured someone might find this useful, the left is a new/updated/650s coolant, on the right my #1300 vin 12c. Notice the upper right hose went from 1/4 to 3/4, a new degas hose is required to upgrade.

·
Registered
243 Posts
zlykot Your photo shows the 650 upgrade What is this plastic part called exactly?
How much did it cost ? Where does it go ?

I am serial #1234 I track the car and need more cooling

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was 600$ with the water pump, the picture is of the coolant reservoir/overflow tank. The picture is taken from the bottom.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It was 600$ with the water pump, the picture is of the coolant reservoir/overflow tank. The picture is taken from the bottom.
Thanks
As I thought

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had a few hours to work on the car.

First of all, the upper and lower hoses have a slightly different size so I ordered some 17800177 clamps instead of the 17800178 to test out fitment. The key with these clamps is to use them properly so you need a <20NM torque driver and leave a 3mm gap between the D rings.

I chased down the upper rad hoses, they go under the intake manifold but they use a retaining clip and a fitting instead of clamps so no need to replace them, this means you only need a total of 10x of the bigger kind. 3x for upper rad hoses and 2x for lower per side.

Now the smaller hoses, which is where the fun starts. I found coolant residue on the following hoses, degas/bleed hoses on top of the radiator, bottom of the coolant res, front radiators and fitting on the back of the intake manifold.

On a different note, track pack upgrades the degas hose, which leads to what looks like bleed fittings on the back of the cylinder heads, those look impossible to get to. In general there is tons of these small hoses in the back of the manifold. I decided those will be replaced with the original strapless ones as the logistics of putting worm gear clamps in these cramped quarters makes this difficult. Using oetiker 16700016 for the small hoses (14.1-17mm clamp) in place of the stock 16.2 and 16.6 clamps.

I'll post up a little DIY with clamp locations and sizes.

IMG_0159.jpg

Tom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awesome thread and super timely. My coolant tank fittings are leaking badly.

1. Is the 12C "track pack" tank upgrade simply the same tank as on the 650s with larger degas line? (pic of upgrade line attached from track pack cooling thread).

"the track cooling pack is part number #11F2322CP and is comprised of a new waterpump (same as 650S/675LT), hoses, clamps, gaskets and a revised coolant reservoir. This has nothing directly to do with the transmission; although, indirectly, cooler coolant is better for the tranny since it is also used for the clutch cooler and main tranny cooler. The main purpose is to "improve cooling" for anyone hardcore tracking the car."

2. Interested in the complete clamp size list when you are able, I'd like to pre-order what I can!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine were as well, check the bleed hoses on top of each radiator (on the rear).

From what I know the 650 and the updated 12c tank are the same, they look to have the same mold. You can easily tell the new tank apart by the fact that it has a white top, where as the original 12c tank is all black.

The degas hose i have received is way longer and includes a T fitting that is at the back of the engine. Ill take some pics next time.

Ill post up my final clamp setup, I have to say buying the thorney kit would have saved me a good amount of time...

·
Registered
55 Posts
@zlykot, Have you been able to replace the clamps without draining the system? A list of clamps with sizes (or P/N's) and locations would be a huge help to the Mac DIY community. I, like many, have noticed some small leaks but am nervous about just searching for the right clamps and where to put them.

Let us know how you progress!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got you covered, i have pics and part numbers.

I think it would be possible to replace the clamps without draining the system if you really tried. I found that a good pair of knipex side/straight cutters make quick work of the old clamps, You can just cut the crimp of the old clamp and the peal the clamp off the hose. The big oetiker clamps I am using will let you split the clamp so you can install it without taking the hose off. The small ones are probably a bit more tricky. they are all located in tight quarters (like under the tank or at the back of the intake manifold) which might make things challenging to say the least.

It's almost done, just waiting for some parts to come in the mail.

Tom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts