McLaren Life banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have no idea... Will ask. Dealers dont seem to have a numbered waitlist from my experience. They take your deposit, then select you for an allocation based on your relationship with them. Those who've spent the most in the past go to the top of the list.
I don’t think the “wait for the next one “ approach will work out like people think it will. Maybe 4,000 cars worldwide over 2 years (and that’s being very optimistic ). Maybe 1,500 coming to USA and spread that across 25 dealerships . Not that many cars for how many customers that dealers now have .

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I am hoping that they have more compassion the second time around since it's not a limited edition LT model. HAHAHA! We will see...

I also have a deposit on a Z06 but that is an actual numbered waitlist.

Oh well. Just need to enjoy the old 720 for now... First world problems.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
582 Posts
I don’t think the “wait for the next one “ approach will work out like people think it will. Maybe 4,000 cars worldwide over 2 years (and that’s being very optimistic ). Maybe 1,500 coming to USA and spread that across 25 dealerships . Not that many cars for how many customers that dealers now have .
I agree 100%. There won’t be as many of these as people think. Short run...2 years. The waitlists are already piling up and for good reason. I’ve said it before...but these will be hard to get...not LT hard but hard.

@RonMathMD Your dealer shouldn’t be holding a deposit on a car or allocation that doesnt exist. That’s not good or fair business. My dealer would never do that and from my experience would never promise something they can’t deliver.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
their 2022 H1 financial report makes that seem very very optimistic.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
@RonMathMD Your dealer shouldn’t be holding a deposit on a car or allocation that doesnt exist. That’s not good or fair business. My dealer would never do that and from my experience would never promise something they can’t deliver.
That's what happened to the 765LT Spider allocation they told me they had for me. Someone else was selected from all of the deposits they took.

Oh well! Can't cry over spilt milk. I had a nice conversation with Nicolas Brown about it. Didn't seem to go anywhere though.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
their 2022 H1 financial report makes that seem very very optimistic.
Yeah I was just being optimistic …. Many people used to come into these firms and brag of what a great deal they would get in brand new cars after they waited to buy one in year 2 or year 3. Those types have sort of been priced out now and nowhere to be seen over the last couple of years

Over by my way in 2017 - it was a 9 month wait to get a 720s….

Mclaren dealers have picked up a lot of repeat customers and have so many more from back in those days …. It’s a different ball game now . (and dealers have long memories of those who grinded them and/or went elsewhere outside the area to buy cars…. Dealers get heavily penalized if they sell into another dealer area now . One of the dealers that I’m friendly with told me that he had 3 x720s where he lost the deal because those peoples local dealers wouldn’t sign off on the sale (and this dealer wasn’t discounting either )

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
And dealers have long memories of those who grinded them and/or went elsewhere outside the area to buy cars….
I don't know about this. It seems there has been a revolving door of sales staff and Mclaren brand managers at the dealerships I've been working with. Everyone I knew at McLaren SF back when I bought my old 12C many years ago is long gone, and San Diego has been through 3 brand managers and multiple sales guys since they started only a few years ago. They dont really have any "memory" per se esp of bad deals. They do seem to remember those guys who bought more than $1 million worth of cars from them though and those guys seem to be selected for all of the hot allocations.

2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
Ciocca (high volume Corvette dealer) took 5000 Corvette Z06 deposits at $5000/each... $25,000,000 interest free loan. Seems to be commonplace nowadays.
Being commonplace doesn't make it right or a good business move.

Reactions: Roxind and Bankai

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ciocca (high volume Corvette dealer) took 5000 Corvette Z06 deposits at $5000/each... $25,000,000 interest free loan. Seems to be commonplace nowadays.
Did they actually take that many? The original deposit was $2000, then they asked for an additional $3000 to try to whittle the list down. I imagine a lot of people asked for a refund when they saw their number was 2000+

I got tripped up wiring my initial deposit in and ended up in the 1800's so I just got a refund. Anyone past 2000 probably isn't getting a car assuming no one else drops off. I have no doubt that the initial rush was several thousand people, but I doubt that many people made the second deposit to stay on the list.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Is the 765 worth $300000 more over the 720? As in all things esoteric, the laws of diminishing returns apply. I drove the 720 extensively and I respected and admired its capabilities but it did not comport to my priority of compelling, immersive and thrilling driving dynamics. The 765 not only addresses my driving priorities , it takes them to level I did not believe possible. I have proclaimed my intense, singular love affar with the 765. There is presently no available super car that can stir the emotion, elevate the sense of occasion, and can offer an intimate connection between car and driver. The 765 is a masterpiece, the likes of which we will never see again. It represents the end of an era.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I don't know about this. It seems there has been a revolving door of sales staff and Mclaren brand managers at the dealerships I've been working with. Everyone I knew at McLaren SF back when I bought my old 12C many years ago is long gone, and San Diego has been through 3 brand managers and multiple sales guys since they started only a few years ago. They dont really have any "memory" per se esp of bad deals. They do seem to remember those guys who bought more than $1 million worth of cars from them though and those guys seem to be selected for all of the hot allocations.
You’d be surprised or maybe not but dealers crm systems and notes by customers are very detailed and a ready reference for new staff .

You could call mclaren Sf and they’ll have every documented conversation /email /interaction they have had with you .

One of my folllowers on I/g went and bought a car from Mac Sf and when I mentioned it to my sales guy …. He said “I have been communicating with him for the last 1.5 years ; I’ve exchanged 34 emails , he’s dropped in 3 times; I had 8 phone conversations with him before he bought this car …

Sales people document every interaction they have with you …

And I’m glad to see that the new regime respect dealer decisions of who to give the cars too…. Too much funny business in the past for people who didn’t earn the right to get the cars from dealers and then going to the mothership to get cars over the more worthy customers .

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You’d be surprised or maybe not but dealers crm systems and notes by customers are very detailed and a ready reference for new staff .

You could call mclaren Sf and they’ll have every documented conversation /email /interaction they have had with you .

One of my folllowers on I/g went and bought a car from Mac Sf and when I mentioned it to my sales guy …. He said “I have been communicating with him for the last 1.5 years ; I’ve exchanged 34 emails , he’s dropped in 3 times; I had 8 phone conversations with him before he bought this car …

Sales people document every interaction they have with you …

And I’m glad to see that the new regime respect dealer decisions of who to give the cars too…. Too much funny business in the past for people who didn’t earn the right to get the cars from dealers and then going to the mothership to get cars over the more worthy customers .
I guess I'm not worthy...

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Darn! Lost out on this at $510k... Wife came in and started talking to me at the last 10 seconds. Oh well... Gotta go drive my old 720S to get a smile back on my face. :)

2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
The 570S is a highly capable car at its selling price. It does not compare to the 720S on any metric of performance. And is noticeably less engaging and compelling to drive.
12C is more capable than a 570 at a lower price, and it's more engaging than a 570, and that also has nothing to do with going from a 720 to a 765.

·
Registered
38 Posts
🤣 Exactly! And rare doesn’t always mean good either… often it means nobody wanted it 🤣
I have an opportunity to buy a preowned 765LT Coupe and would sell my 720S.

Convince me that a 765LT Coupe is $300,000 better than a 720S Coupe. :)
I have an opportunity to buy a preowned 765LT Coupe and would sell my 720S.

Convince me that a 765LT Coupe is $300,000 better than a 720S Coupe. :)
If this picture does not convince you nothing will……
Roof scoop and the best rear of any super car.
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Grille Wheel

41 - 60 of 61 Posts