McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ask yourself, how would the 765 fit in the long game of your supercar journey?

If the 765 is meant to be your last or close to last supercar, buy it, assuming the finances will support it.

If you're looking to buy more McLarens in the future maybe consider the strategic options. Buying new Macs gets you more cred with the dealer than buying used cars, so if you want to be able to spec a new LT in the future, or potentially move up to the big boy leagues with an ultimate series, maybe put down a deposit for the 750S. Hell, buy an Artura, then buy a 750S.

The 765LT is an all time great car though, so if you choose to buy one you probably won't take much hit at all on depreciation, so the cost of ownership may not be very different from the 720S, and you get to enjoy LT driving experience. And who knows what tomorrow holds. We know the pure ICE era is coming to an end so this might the last car of its kind for McLaren.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
Simple. I'm never, ever, selling my 765. It's that good.

Even though I will buy more McLarens.
Jas will be interesting to see if you do hold.

A lot of McLaren owners have some variation of this feeling, but end up getting the new hotness. And nothing wrong with that at all. It's interesting to see how it pans out. Many 675 owners said the same, but seems most sold off. Some small number kept. That number is bigger than for the non LT cars, but still, McLaren owners largely seem to be taste testers.

And why not, if you got the curiosity and the means, it's a fun, if not expensive, pass time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thats like saying convince me I should want more money in my bank account. Having a 720s Spider and now the LT Spider there is zero reason to want a 720s unless you dont like the louder sounds all over the car. Or maybe LT is to much of a car for you to handle driving. if you can get a LT at MSRP no question buy it!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Jas will be interesting to see if you do hold.
I'm 100% certain of it. The 765LT Spider really is that good.

I will of course buy other cars, but I won't let this one go.

I have zero doubts, and have never said this about any car before. Even cars I knew I would keep for many years, like my old Lotus cars. Eventually I sold those.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
582 Posts
Right. The cars are close enough in performance that driver is a much bigger differentiating factor.
The 570 and 720 are farther apart on a track than a 720 and 765. 570 is lucky to get within 4-5 seconds of a 720. I’d say that’s NOT close enough to where the driver is a ‘much bigger factor.’ A 720 is roughly 10mph faster down a straight than a 570, where as the 765 is roughly 5mph faster than the 720.

Watch this clip. MS and MH passed Zonta like a 720s passing a 570.

I still had my 570 when I bought the ZR1 a few years back...the ZR1 and 570 from 60-130 are very close. Watch what the 720 does to the ZR1. 6:50 to 8min mark. Ouch.

Denial or delusion? Which is it? Esp. for someone who rarely tracks.

I really liked my 570...but the 720 is just that much better. Guess I’m just a 720 ‘fanboi.’ LOL.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The 570 and 720 are farther apart on a track than a 720 and 765. 570 is lucky to get within 4-5 seconds of a 720. I’d say that’s NOT close enough to where the driver is a ‘much bigger factor.’ A 720 is roughly 10mph faster down a straight than a 570, where as the 765 is roughly 5mph faster than the 720.

Watch this clip. MS and MH passed Zonta like a 720s passing a 570.

I still had my 570 when I bought the ZR1 a few years back...the ZR1 and 570 from 60-130 are very close. Watch what the 720 does to the ZR1. 6:50 to 8min mark. Ouch.

Denial or delusion? Which is it? Esp. for someone who rarely tracks.

I really liked my 570...but the 720 is just that much better. Guess I’m just a 720 ‘fanboi.’ LOL.
now you poked the bear

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
What’s the real question? Will it give you $300k more in smiles? No. Will it hold its value better? Yes. Is it worth it? Up to you. Is it worth it threads are usually for people who are borderline on the affordability scale...

There is no place for logic in Super/Hypercar purchases. They are money pits. A black hole in your portfolio that has no justification and is almost entirely emotional.

Is Fiji water really 10-20x better than Costco brand? Nope.

Is a Koenigsegg or T.50 really 6-7 times better than a 765LT. No.

@unmac is right. There is no logic here. BUT...if logic dictated all of our decisions...Ferrari, Louis Vuitton, Bugatti, Dom Perignon, Rolex, Patek, Kobe Beef and a myriad of other shit wouldn't exist. Yet somehow ALL of those things (despite their ridiculous cost) are popular and desirable.

So YES...the 765 is worth it. Likely the pinnacle of ICE achievement for any brand...ever.

But...as someone else said...the 750 will be pretty damn good. Artura style dash, Artura seats, car play, 765 tranny, updated aero bits and more etc...for a lot less than a marked up 765.
If the 750 has the Artura dash that's bad news for tall people as the steering wheel obscures the dash screen,,,,,, remember the screen binnacle is attached and moves with the steering column.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,746 Posts
If the 750 has the Artura dash that's bad news for tall people as the steering wheel obscures the dash screen,,,,,, remember the screen binnacle is attached and moves with the steering column.
That's unfortunate. I dislike that attached binnacle design. It does the opposite of what it purports. I'm kind of sad they are getting rid of the the fun gimmick moving dash screens.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Moved my deposit on a 765LT Spider allocation (that I was never selected for) over to a preannouncement "750" wait list. Dealer thinks it will be a facelift 720 Spider rather than a whole new hybrid model

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Moved my deposit on a 765LT Spider allocation (that I was never selected for) over to a preannouncement "750" wait list. Dealer thinks it will be a facelift 720 Spider rather than a whole new hybrid model
What’s the eta of where they think you’ll be on the list .. a smaller east coast dealer already had 15 people on the list and that’s before anyone even k ew about the 750.

I’m expecting my dealer to have at least 50 on the list before it even gets formally announced . All dealers do not do first in first out on these lists

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
What’s the eta of where they think you’ll be on the list .. a smaller east coast dealer already had 15 people on the list and that’s before anyone even k ew about the 750.

I’m expecting my dealer to have at least 50 on the list before it even gets formally announced . All dealers do not do first in first out on these lists
I have no idea... Will ask. Dealers dont seem to have a numbered waitlist from my experience. They take your deposit, then select you for an allocation based on your relationship with them. Those who've spent the most in the past go to the top of the list.

2012 MP4-12C
2,949 Posts
They screwed you once, you don't think they'll screw you again?
I have no idea... Will ask. Dealers dont seem to have a numbered waitlist from my experience. They take your deposit, then select you for an allocation based on your relationship with them. Those who've spent the most in the past go to the top of the list.
Outsiders call that an interest free loan.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts