McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a preowned 765LT Coupe and would sell my 720S.

Convince me that a 765LT Coupe is $300,000 better than a 720S Coupe. :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I’m following this just to see what people say…
its not a serious question .

People don’t use regular car buying decisions with supercar buying decisions …. I still daily my 2014 Range Rover and haven’t even considered upgrading to subsequent years Range Rover’s…

I’ve bought a lot of exotic cars in the same time frame.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,727 Posts

Just to throw out another scenario, you know the 750S is coming out soon. Probably less cost of an upgrade. Probably more Cush like your 720 but zippier close to the 765, but not track oriented. Probably wont hold it's value as much as an LT though. If that makes you tug stronger in one direction or another, it might help you decide...or complicate things more.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If it’s a new allocation I would seriously consider it but not a used one while I bought my 720S new. While I saw several 765LTC/S at the service dealer while on my annual service, my 720s is still a McLaren hence no desire to get it unless new.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
570 Posts
What’s the real question? Will it give you $300k more in smiles? No. Will it hold its value better? Yes. Is it worth it? Up to you. Is it worth it threads are usually for people who are borderline on the affordability scale...

There is no place for logic in Super/Hypercar purchases. They are money pits. A black hole in your portfolio that has no justification and is almost entirely emotional.

Is Fiji water really 10-20x better than Costco brand? Nope.

Is a Koenigsegg or T.50 really 6-7 times better than a 765LT. No.

@unmac is right. There is no logic here. BUT...if logic dictated all of our decisions...Ferrari, Louis Vuitton, Bugatti, Dom Perignon, Rolex, Patek, Kobe Beef and a myriad of other shit wouldn't exist. Yet somehow ALL of those things (despite their ridiculous cost) are popular and desirable.

So YES...the 765 is worth it. Likely the pinnacle of ICE achievement for any brand...ever.

But...as someone else said...the 750 will be pretty damn good. Artura style dash, Artura seats, car play, 765 tranny, updated aero bits and more etc...for a lot less than a marked up 765.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What’s the real question? Will it give you $300k more in smiles? No. Will it hold its value better? Yes. Is it worth it? Up to you. Is it worth it threads are usually for people who are borderline on the affordability scale...

There is no place for logic in Super/Hypercar purchases. They are money pits. A black hole in your portfolio that has no justification and is almost entirely emotional.

Is Fiji water really 10-20x better than Costco brand? Nope.

Is a Koenigsegg or T.50 really 6-7 times better than a 765LT. No.

@unmac is right. There is no logic here. BUT...if logic dictated all of our decisions...Ferrari, Louis Vuitton, Bugatti, Dom Perignon, Rolex, Patek, Kobe Beef and a myriad of other shit wouldn't exist. Yet somehow ALL of those things (despite their ridiculous cost) are popular and desirable.

So YES...the 765 is worth it. Likely the pinnacle of ICE achievement for any brand...ever.

But...as someone else said...the 750 will be pretty damn good. Artura style dash, Artura seats, car play, 765 tranny, updated aero bits and more etc...for a lot less than a marked up 765.
The same question will come up very soon when the 750 will be available: is this "facelift version" worth the money? Should I not keep the 720S, or go straight to the 765LT? I don't understand the fuss about a car that doesn't exist yet, and which is supposed to squeeze into the frankly very narrow gap between two GOAT's (720S best road supersport car, LT best road supersports car with strong racetrack character). All this fuss about a car that should be built only because McLaren has an unfortunate delay of the effective 720S successor, should I really invest money in such a stopgap?

Otherwise I am with you: If someone has the money, the LT is definitely worth its added value. In fact, if I had the money, I'd own both.

·
Registered
2022 720 S Spider
35 Posts

No convincing needed, derive it. If you want it, buy it, period. I have 600 miles on my 765 and traded my 720. Would I take my 720 over my 765, never. Would I take my 720 back, yep and all my other 60 SC's I used to have.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
765 is a big step up from 720S... maybe not if you primarily drive on the street. But on track the changes are very noticable. is it 300K better? That depends what you use it for.
It's noticably faster on track when observed from my car. The 720 drivers were marginally faster on the straight, I can't get past, but nor do they leave me in the dust. The 765 is significantly faster when viewed from behind.

·
Registered
2021 765LT #185
28 Posts
Keep your 720S and buy the 765LT. They are different enough that I dont like driving my 765LT all the time and am looking for a more normal car, like a 720S, to drive more often.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It's noticably faster on track when observed from my car. The 720 drivers were marginally faster on the straight, I can't get past, but nor do they leave me in the dust. The 765 is significantly faster when viewed from behind.

they weren't really pushing it, if they were "marginally" faster on the straight..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The exhaust of the 765 alone makes it worth it.
But with respect this is a dumb question. Yes it may initially cost 300k more but you will recoup much of that difference when you sell it as the resale of the 765 is much higher.

I mean is a LA Ferrari worth 3 million more than a 720? No one would ask that question. You know if you spend more you will have a higher resale.

man up and buy the car. It’s worth it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts