McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I took a bit of a plunge and installed the SportContact 7's to replace the stock Pzero's after seeing the possitive reviews and getting a possitive recommendations from CoOrdSport in Holland (thanks for all the help!). I was initially planning to get a set of PS4S's but thought they were worth the try as they are also significantly cheaper than the Michelin's. I thought I'd share my experience as I've not seen anything on the forum about these tires yet. Now I'm no track rat, so drive the car spiritely on the road and may go to the track once or twice a year. But irrespectively thought my experience after the first week of testing the tires out might be useful.

So as with many, these tires are quite a bit wider (I didn't measure but eyeballed..) than the stock Pirelli's:

Front (a little wider, approx 10mm's):
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Rear (a lot wider, approax 20-30mm):
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

As you can clearly see the blocks on the Conti's are noticeably bigger than the Pirelli's, especially on the rears. New thread depth is about 6.6mm (that I actually measured) and my pirelli's where at about 6.1mm when taken off.

So my experience is that they are much more comfortable and softer than the Pirelli's and have much much better grip at the same temperature. When cold (around 20/68 degrees C/F) the Cont's spin a lot less and hook up a gear or two lower than the Pirelli's. When warm (35/95 degrees C/F) and doing a launch the Pirelli's always spin while the Conti's actually hook up from standstil (First time I experienced it! and I managed to do a 2.88 sec 0-100 kph on a random road I usually do my launches on). First time I've ever gotten under 3 seconds! And as the tires were at 35/95 degrees there is probably more in the tank!

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

I did hit some "higher speeds" and the Conti's felt very stable and when I slammed the brake from there it was rock solid as well. So all-in-all I'm very positive so far and can recommend folks giving them a try as an alternative to a PS4S. When we get some rain I'll try them out there as well and report back as these are supposed to be very good when wet.

·
Registered
840 Posts
And not to mention, I put PS4S on my 765 and they suck. I liked the P Zeros much better. Best 0-60 with the pirellis was 2.73 I’ve yet to do under 3 seconds with the PS4S and it’s been really hot. I might try cup 2s or maybe I’ll give these a shot. I do like road biased tires as a rule for road cars but the PS4S is definitely holding the car back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And not to mention, I put PS4S on my 765 and they suck. I liked the P Zeros much better. Best 0-60 with the pirellis was 2.73 I’ve yet to do under 3 seconds with the PS4S and it’s been really hot. I might try cup 2s or maybe I’ll give these a shot. I do like road biased tires as a rule for road cars but the PS4S is definitely holding the car back.
thats interesting. These for sure have more grip than the regular Pzero’s by a significant margin. I have never driven the PS4S so can’t compare… these tires are also about 25% cheaper than the Michelin’s which, though not the most important I guess, is nice if they perform better… my 0-60 time was 2.78 and I would expect the 765 to be quicker by a bigger margin…

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good to hear (also because it's my recommendation :cool:)! It's always a bit of an adventure to go with new tires even if they have good reviews, etc, as different cars react to the tire differently - so respect to those pioneers that boldly go where no-one has gone before! 😄

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good to hear (also because it's my recommendation :cool:)! It's always a bit of an adventure to go with new tires even if they have good reviews, etc, as different cars react to the tire differently - so respect to those pioneers that boldly go where no-one has gone before! 😄
with a 720s you are already living on the edge, so a set of untested tires fit right in! 😂

·
Registered
130 Posts
Which P Zeros were these? I could see the Trofeo Rs outperforming the PS4S, but not the Corsas or regular P Zeros.

·
Owner
730 Posts
I am in 100% agreement that there is something wrong with PS4S's and they basically suck compared to even the standard P Zero. I think Michelin has dropped the ball the past few iterations of the Pilot Sport series. They just do not grip like the Pirellis in any flavor P Zero, I don't know if it's the compound or the tread but they just don't seem to work well on the street. I was constantly losing grip on the last vehicle I had them on.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ya I may try a different brand or just see if I can get Pzeros back on the car.

I don't know why the Conti 7's aren't available anywhere in 765 sizes. I'd love to give them a shot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I may try a different brand or just see if I can get Pzeros back on the car.

I don't know why the Conti 7's aren't available anywhere in 765 sizes. I'd love to give them a shot.
As far as I know they are the same size as the 720 right? Maybe it’s a matter of time before they make it over to the US? Here in the EU you can get them everywhere by now. Maybe worth asking Continental?

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
337 Posts
I am in 100% agreement that there is something wrong with PS4S's and they basically suck compared to even the standard P Zero. I think Michelin has dropped the ball the past few iterations of the Pilot Sport series. They just do not grip like the Pirellis in any flavor P Zero, I don't know if it's the compound or the tread but they just don't seem to work well on the street. I was constantly losing grip on the last vehicle I had them on.
I have been writing this same stuff about them ever since I switched to them (650) and folks are saying I'm crazy and the only one to feel this way.... HA! :rolleyes:

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,416 Posts
This is super interesting. The ps4s were way better than the last iteration I had of PZeros. But I believe PZeros are on revision 3. Also, my set of ps4s doesn’t have any of the behaviors I’ve recently seen people having problems with them, so I wonder if you’re right and that Michelin hasn’t quietly changed the compound to be worse.

Which leaves me with a conundrum as to what to get next….

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
This is super interesting. The ps4s were way better than the last iteration I had of PZeros. But I believe PZeros are on revision 3. Also, my set of ps4s doesn’t have any of the behaviors I’ve recently seen people having problems with them, so I wonder if you’re right and that Michelin hasn’t quietly changed the compound to be worse.

Which leaves me with a conundrum as to what to get next….
I’m right there with you
September I will be replacing my trofeos
I do no track days but spirited drives on open roads.
I need to make up my mind
Provided anything is in stock
Continentals
Trofeos
Goodyears
Michelins

or wait six months and procrastinate as there is a some life still left in them. I am making the swap because of date codes(five years)

·
Registered
840 Posts
One of my tenants is a tire install shop. I checked with him. They don’t offer conti 7s in 765 sizes. At least in the states he can’t get them. I may go back to stock pirellis and wait until next year.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I don’t want to start another tire thread.
Hate to hijack but here goes
675lt tires
Michelin PILOT SPORT CUP 2 CONNECT
Or

CONTINENTAL
EXTREMECONTACT SPORT
Or
Pzeros

trofeos not available

which to choose?

Lea

1 - 20 of 25 Posts