McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have been a fan of Mclaren for a while. Past cars have been Porsche GT3 and current car is a Ferrari Stradale. I'm thinking about purchasing a Nissan GTR, (nismo), 991 turbo or MP4-12c. I don't travel much and have a Range rover as a daily driver now. After Chris Harris comparing the 991 turboS to the 12c, I am leaning towards the 12c.
Has any 12c owners had issues with the 12c? and how are the maintenance costs?

TY
GB

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Hi GB,99% of the problems were on the early cars,which have all been put right.These were mostly quality control and electrical/sensor issues.The main crux of the car have been as bomb proof as the best out there,ie the engine/drivetrain/suspension so from that point of view if you are keeping the car then the warranty will solve everything that might crop up.
Servicing is about Porsche ,but more frequent,10k miles as apposed to 20k,but that's impressive for an engine that revs to 8500 imo,but the 12c is kinder too tyres in everyday use ,so you get a lot back that way.Plus it is a supercar,not a sportscar,so that depends how that sits with you.In the long run the 12c will always be the rarer car by some margin .

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If you test drive one both on public road and fast non police road you will gain a perspective that will rationalise purchasing a 12C. If you take it on track, one that your familiar with , you will be pleasantly surprised.

The drivetrain is bombproof and dealer backup very good.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm less than a month in to purchasing a 12C Spider. I also have a Stradale in my garage. The two go together very well (not sure if you're keeping the Strad). Very pleased with everything so far - it's winter in the UK and the roads are cold, plus I'm still in the running-in period, so haven't pushed it yet.

I can feel already that it will be incredibly quick. The feel in the car is brilliant and the driving position perfect (never thought that could be such a big plus point before). It's a great car and a great 'occasion' car. It's a very different experience to the Strad.

Only negatives so far are a lack of storage space which can be a bit awkward and despite claims to the contrary from the salesman, the nose/wheel arches foul fairly easily over speed humps etc.

I got stopped by a police officer this morning. I have to say he restored my faith in common sense in the police force. I was definitely speeding, with no-one around on an early Saturday morning drive. Anyhow he was very decent and reasonable (top fellow) and gave me a warning. The point, though, is that it is very easy to go fast in this car - I was not pushing, driving at what felt like a steady, even slow pace (demonstrating perfect road manners and impeccable skill and control, of course...) and was still well over.

Be careful out there children....!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
There aren't many issues so much as there are quirks. I and a lot of other people have experienced little things that pop-up and can be annoying, but so far I don't think there have been many with serious problems. They are all still under warranty for the most part as well.

I think a lot of stuff has been worked out and addressed. I mentioned some stuff to my dealer and he was already aware of a lot of them.

I'd say you can buy one without worrying about anything major. That said, I'd also try to get one with a decent warranty left and/or pay to extend the current one just in case.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the differences between the three choices are pretty significant, and obviously all of us could have picked Nissan or Porsche (or Nissan plus Porsche), by went with McLaren.
First, if you ever go to the track, the Nissan is really impressive for its sheer acceleration. But, it is heavy, and you never escape the clear realization that computers are driving the car. Yes, all cars have anti-skid controls, but none so apparent as the GTR, especially as the car seems to pick which wheels get power. The Nissan is "wowee-kazowee" with it's computer graphics, is a great value, but will never win your heart.
The new 991's fail in terms of steering feel. The magazines have been kind, as few have really ripped into this. But, if you drive the car at speed, you can get no sense of front grip. Even on a fast off ramp, you don't know if you are going in 10 mph too fast, or 10 mph too slow. Others may disagree, and I'll be happy to learn of others' conclusions. In contrast, the McLaren steers like nothing else- most similar is Lotus (to me, that's a big compliment).
Porsche and Nissan have the details worked out better- nav, bluetooth, even climate control. But, all these in my 12C work well-enough, so they are not causes of annoyance.
The biggest knock on McLaren is that at low speeds, it isn't "emotional". You don't get the neck snap of an Aventador (but you don't have the 2 second shift delays either), or the instant thrust of the 458 Italia (which seems to give 80% of full throttle in the first 3/4inch of travel). But, once you wind out that twin turbo V8, the McLaren is in a class of its own. On track, the engine, trans, suspension, and "nannies" work perfectly, leaving the driver with a very manageable slight understeer when you push too hard. Gratifying, fast, and as safe as it gets, with 600+hp that still lets you feel you are driving.

Style is subjective, but I prefer the simplicity of McLaren. The Nissan never grabbed me, and while the 991 is "classic Porsche", there are zillions out there. With a 12C, And, will not be able to park without folks stopping to take pictures.
By the way, love the Stradale. None of the three will sound as good, and the styling is classic and timeless. When I drove one north of San Diego, I thought the steering was great, too.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Hello all!

I have been a fan of Mclaren for a while. Past cars have been Porsche GT3 and current car is a Ferrari Stradale. I'm thinking about purchasing a Nissan GTR, (nismo), 991 turbo or MP4-12c. I don't travel much and have a Range rover as a daily driver now. After Chris Harris comparing the 991 turboS to the 12c, I am leaning towards the 12c.

TY
GB
GB

The cars you mention are all in their own league.

Stradale MP4 and RR ... it's good to have unlike mistresses in the stable. :)

If you are limited there is no better car than the 12c.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Fire, you cannot go wrong with any of those cars. All are amazing. But to your question, here are a couple of thoughts to my thought process, but your own answers are what's most important, and you have folks here with different profiles.

So first, I was about to get a 458 when I instead got my Mac, and was in the market for my first full on super car (likely to satisfy the inner 10yo's dream of putting what was once on a poster in my bedroom as a kid in my garage). I had to choose "one car to rule them all" yet within my budget. I think if you are of greater means, then you don't have to make such choices, which makes things a touch easier.

To my eye, in the rough ball park, the choice came down to 3 cars performance wise. The 458, the Mac, and the Aventador. With the Mac and Aventador at the top of the super car performance curve.

I already had a corvette, which was pretty super car performance level, for bargain basement cost (it's also super cheap to maintain, and since almost everyone that has a vette is having a mid life crisis (in their 50's and drives super slow) the insurance on it is ridiculously cheap). So the GTR felt like a slight step up in the perception of now you get really super car beating performance at a relatively bargain price. And I see the 911 t/s as another step up from there, again, super car beating performance at relatively bargain price. All 3 of those cars punch way above their weights. I have nothing negative to say about them, all fantastic machines.

However, none of them scratched the itch of getting the poster from my childhood down into my parking lot. That's very subjective (and yes, I also dreamed of the corvette and 911), but, they were not insane super cars by that admittedly childish standard.

So after I decided I wanted a super car style of car, the practical side of me jumped back in and started making the decision of what makes sense if this is my only car. I test drove the Mac, and it really wiped the snot out of the 458 performance wise, and then when I found that (at the time) the maintenance costs of the ferrari were much higher, as was the insurance, it became an easier choice. In the US the annual maintenance costs are around $2k per year I think, not including tires. It gets about 19mpg in NYC traffic and "spirited" driving, which is pretty great. The insurance worked out to about 3600/year, and the 458 would have cost another 1500 per year over that. I liked that Maclaren did updates on the car, for free. Ferrari has since started doing free annual maintenance for the first 7 years I believe (which is great). The Aventador had too many problems with its transmission, and in reality, in a track circumstance, was a bit too big for me. Lastly, it was really clear that the Mac was easy to drive as a daily driver, even NYC, which is kind of crazy.

Anyway, a lot of that thought was part of my process, but when I test drove it, it kind of clicked for me, and I fell a bit in love. And that was that. As always, YMMV. Good luck with your decision, it's a great decision to have to make. There are no mistakes; all those cars are great!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all!

TY
GB
I've had mine for several months now and have had no issues at all.

I have 3 years free service (plus they give me a free loaner car while mine is in service).

IMO the MAC is a better choice - It can be used as an everyday drive in Auto, change a couple of settings and it's instantly a super car.

I traded a Ferrari F360 and haven't regretted it at all.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I used to own a Porsche Turbo. I had a 458 Spider first (still have it) and then bought the 12C Spider after driving it and finding out how truly awesome it is. They're both great cars but I find myself more drawn to the Mac. It's just so silky smooth when you want to be and then it can turn into a benevolent monster when you want it to be. I absolutely love it.

No maintenance issues here. If you buy a used one and you plan to use the radio/bluetooth/nav then spend the extra money to get the IRIS upgrade.

Also the big bonus for the Mac is there's virtually no performance/stiffness penalty for getting a spider. In the car that Chris Harris drove against the 991 TTS was a Spider. Other than price, and a small reduce window of visibility (the buttresses) there appears to be no penalty for driving a spider with the roof up. It makes a very comfortable coupe when the top is up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello all!

TY
GB

I have been a Nissan Fan for years, I bought a R34 GTR in 2001,and ive still got it, and for a very good reason. It still makes me smile,,,,A lot !!
I did think of getting a new GTR but when i went in one it was quite disapointing , very very fast but not the kind of feedback that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. Comparing the R34 GTR to a new GTR is like actually doing a parachute jump for the first time compared to playing a parachute game on play station......
In my opinion they have given the new GTR the BMW treatment and spoiled what could have been an awsome drivers car.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hello all!

TY
GB
Those 3 choices are all over the map, so to speak. Just curious, why are you not considering the 458? IMHO the 458 and 12C are really the only two serious contenders. And the new GT3 if you are willing to give up some acceleration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the support. Everyone has posted great comments. The GTR would be more of a daily driver. The Mac is deffenly my top choice. The only thing is that I would have to sell the Stradale to purchase it. With the GTR or the 991 Turbo purchase I can still keep the Stradale. I will stop by my local Mac dealer this week and do a test drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those 3 choices are all over the map, so to speak. Just curious, why are you not considering the 458? IMHO the 458 and 12C are really the only two serious contenders. And the new GT3 if you are willing to give up some acceleration.
I do not think the 12c , 911 turbo s and Nissan GTR are all over the map but that is your opinion. The GTR may not look exotic but if you have driven one with a few minor modifications to the exhaust and the suspension it is really top notch.
The 458 is a great car but I would like to have a second car that is not a Ferrari. I have a Stradale currently and plan on keeping it. I may down the road trade the stradale in for a 458.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I do not think the 12c , 911 turbo s and Nissan GTR are all over the map but that is your opinion. The GTR may not look exotic but if you have driven one with a few minor modifications to the exhaust and the suspension it is really top notch.
The 458 is a great car but I would like to have a second car that is not a Ferrari. I have a Stradale currently and plan on keeping it. I may down the road trade the stradale in for a 458.

Strad and 12C Spider would complement each other very well, I believe. Much more so than having a 12C and 458 in the same garage, IMO.

Good luck with the search. The 12C will not disappoint.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
LOVE my 12c. Had a stradale, 458, as well, great looking car, but the 12c spoiled me. Stradale had the feel but so down on power comparatively speaking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts