McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, it pains me to write this.

My 570S is currently with O'Gara Coach of Los Angeles, with a reported coolant/oil mixing issue, which I'm told will likely require a full engine replacement ($65k). The car recently left factory warranty at just 17k miles. All street. I'm devastated to put it lightly.

Does anyone have email addresses to the right folks at McLaren Corporate? If you could please DM them to me I would be very grateful. I'm hoping someone at McLaren can sympathize with this failure and opt to help out an owner. It's a terrible situation for everyone involved - myself as the owner, the McLaren brand image, etc.

Thank you in advance. 🙏

🚨 Edit: See post 67 for an update.

·
Registered
630 Posts
There's a customer service email address on the website. They're pretty responsive, and they fixed my issues (which were trivial compared to yours). I hope you get some help. Did you buy it new?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a customer service email address on the website. They're pretty responsive, and they fixed my issues (which were trivial compared to yours). I hope you get some help. Did you buy it new?
Thanks, I grabbed that email. Although, I'm thinking I'll need to surface this issue with someone higher up, considering the magnitude of the failure. I am the 2nd owner, and have owned it for about 18mo.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Thanks, I grabbed that email. Although, I'm thinking I'll need to surface this issue with someone higher up, considering the magnitude of the failure. I am the 2nd owner, and have owned it for about 18mo.
Sucks to hear but you have an uphill battle coming your way.

1) Dealers can escalate on your behalf. They rarely do this because for you to get a discount or an accommodation then they also have to discount their work., They will do this in very limited circumstances. Every customer wants an accomodation. O'Gara has a lot of customers. They don't want to be calling Mclaren or discounting for every customer. They save it for the people who play ball in buying/selling/servicing cars with them.

2) Mclaren North America is very small. Don't let the title/name fool you. There is less then 20 employees there. Follow the process and it'll get to the right person

3) They take a whole bunch of things into consideration... Bought new, Bought from dealer, bought used, service work, did they contribute to the sale of the car, etc. If you didn't buy your car from the servicing dealer, didn't get the servicing work done there then you are going to have a difficult time.

They'll probably even look at your postings here; I hang around the forums even though I don't post much but peoples postings do catch my eye and I tend to remember them. From memory; you bought your car used, not a mclaren dealer, did your own brake pad change, called o'gara to get a quote on a service appointment and I don't think you had them do it. Championed the no extended warranty required.

I write the above with having very extensive experience with mclarens, many conversations with my dealer and results of conversations on my behalf between them and mclaren in U.K. and Mclaren North America.

Side note: I let my dealer go to bat on my behalf on a very big thing with P1... It took 3 months with Mclaren U.K. telling them to take a hike, Mclaren North America telling them to take a hike. I finally wrote an e-mail and within 3 hours they got back to my dealer with the accommodation (a significant discount but the bill was still very significant).

Worst case scenario and even with an accommodation; the third party shops here, the flying medics, or XPRD will probably still get it done for you at lower prices.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your response, Unmac.

I did purchase the car from the same servicing dealer (O'Gara Coach, McLaren), and had them service anything that was not a trivial DIY item.

Part of me is hopeful that McLaren will step in and make things right, considering this is a large failure after just 17k miles of use. Based on my many conversations with 570 owners, my experience is an outlier that requires elevated attention, and I hope McLaren will agree.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can DM me contact information to help surface this situation to folks at McLaren NA. For now, I will send a general email.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know what the root cause of the failure is yet?
Not sure, and not sure if we’ll ever find out. In my experience, head gasket failures and cracked heads are typically a mechanical flaw. But McLaren did not confirm. The car has always been kept up to standard, no overheating issues or anything of the sort.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not sure, and not sure if we’ll ever find out. In my experience, head gasket failures and cracked heads are typically a mechanical flaw. But McLaren did not confirm. The car has always been kept up to standard, no overheating issues or anything of the sort.
Yeah, that's a tad worrying..... Oil coolers are another culprit, but I don't know enough about this engine yet to know if that's potentially the problem.

·
Owner
867 Posts
My 12C suffered a cracked head, never ran hot, etc. I had let the warranty lapse appr. 1000 miles prior, and said "nope, don't need a warranty, car is flawless ...." Long story, made short, $75,000. (heads, driveline dampers, track pack, other stuff) cash. I got a discount from the dealer. I tried the sympathy play with McLaren HQ, you know hey this is an early model swipe door classic ... don't you want to take care of your brand and clients ... and they basically told me to get screwed. Oh well, lessen learned. If you're not under warranty, call the Flying McMedics and ship your car there.

·
Owner
582 Posts
Try to get specifics of what is going on with the engine. Is water getting in the oil? Is the coolant getting low? What were the symptoms? My 570S engine supposedly had bad head gaskets and it was replaced under warranty. The good news is there is a company in Cali that can rebuild your engine for a fraction of the cost and even mod it while they are at it. If you can't get Mac North America to help, don't waste your money replacing the engine, just get it rebuilt.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the responses. 🙏

I'm being told that further diagnosis requires an engine pull, and thus serious $$$. "Best case, head gaskets. Worst case, heads are cracked and a new engine is more cost-effective than having McLaren replace the heads." (rough quote from O'Gara)

The coolant level is fine. It started with misfires and I brought it in ASAP, so I belive I caught it early.

I haven't explored 3rd party options, yet. If there's a reputable McLaren shop in the greater LA area, I am all ears!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can't speak to any experience with these but if I was forced to do an engine replacement, this is where I would be headed.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts