McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, I just started looking at possibly buying a 2012 McLaren and have already learned a great deal from this forum. The car seems amazing! Unfortunately, there are not any around me and I have one big concern, my driveway, and a question for any of you that can offer their opinion. I have included some views of my drive, please let me know if you think the McLaren MP4-12C would be able to get up and down it without incident. Thank you very much.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Backing out might be advised though? Definitely get skid plates regardless. The 12C's rear diffisor is not as low as a Ferrari 430 or 458. Backing out should be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My drive way is steeper and I do scrape for 1' or so but unlike my GT2RS and GT3RS which rub the splitter, the12c rubs well under the vehicle. My drive way is concrete and have gone up and down 100 times and the damage is cosmetic and unseen unless on a lift. Also I've got more damage to the undercarriage with two track days then the driveway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very helpful thank you! My 2013 Maserati Granturismo Sport has no problem going up but depending on how many people are in the vehicle gets very close coming down. Much longer and heavier vehicle and not as low so wasn't sure about the McLaren. Of course no matter how careful you are it doesn't stop the Valet or technician at the dealer from scrapping.... I have always been a car fanatic and have been an anxious admirer my whole life. Subscribed to every car magazine and finally can start to enjoy the feel of the driver's seat! Now, just need to find the right car at the right price, any leads are other information is truly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
This is very helpful thank you! My 2013 Maserati Granturismo Sport has no problem going up but depending on how many people are in the vehicle gets very close coming down. Much longer and heavier vehicle and not as low so wasn't sure about the McLaren. Of course no matter how careful you are it doesn't stop the Valet or technician at the dealer from scrapping.... I have always been a car fanatic and have been an anxious admirer my whole life. Subscribed to every car magazine and finally can start to enjoy the feel of the driver's seat! Now, just need to find the right car at the right price, any leads are other information is truly appreciated!
If you are looking for pre-owned, pm me and I will help you. Preferred colors, options and budget would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If you buy new you can add a front lifter .

·
Registered
316 Posts
My car has a lift and my driveway is more severe and is cobbled. I have no trouble. The banking that you have may help you. If you back the car out and veer to the left you will be fine even wih out the lift. I would approach from that side as well on an angle and cut the wheel going slowly as you come to the end of the first cement square.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Your house really needs a 12c parked infront of it,good luck on your purchase:)
I think a Volcano Orange or Volcano Red would contrast with that masonry very tastefully!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Keep it simple change the grading of your driveway if you think its going to be a concern. So you spend a little bit more money, at least the driveway will be prepped and ready for any future exotic cars. Really though do want to spend money on a lift kit or for that matter a freaking skid plate, I would say not. The car was meant to be lite, adding these items defeats the point, yes and I'm a weight weenie and proud of it. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments, and yes I think a 12c would look great in front. My wife thinks a 12c looks like a cluster to get in and out of.... A city ordinance dictates driveway angle here and we have already "Stretched" the rules and changed it once. We were cited the first time and they stopped our construction. I am really getting excited to find the right car now that y'all have made me feel more comfortable about the prospect it will clear. Great forum, you have here.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, and yes I think a 12c would look great in front. My wife thinks a 12c looks like a cluster to get in and out of.... A city ordinance dictates driveway angle here and we have already "Stretched" the rules and changed it once. We were cited the first time and they stopped our construction. I am really getting excited to find the right car now that y'all have made me feel more comfortable about the prospect it will clear. Great forum, you have here.
Lewis,s missus can get out of one in a mini skirt,and she isnt the shortest gal ,didnt even get a glimse of her assets :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
My 12c is the only car that stands this high and doesn't rub anywhere. Even difficult speed bumps are easy to take. On the sls I had a lift kit installed as it scrapes too much. I would like to lower the 12c if I can find which kit is suitable.

Regarding entering exiting the women. Nothing but good news. Take a woman with a short skirt for a ride. Assist her with exiting ie open the doors and you'll see the colour of her string...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
My 12c is the only car that stands this high and doesn't rub anywhere. Even difficult speed bumps are easy to take. On the sls I had a lift kit installed as it scrapes too much. I would like to lower the 12c if I can find which kit is suitable.

Regarding entering exiting the women. Nothing but good news. Take a woman with a short skirt for a ride. Assist her with exiting ie open the doors and you'll see the colour of her string...
I had my car lowered by Pfaff tuning in Toronto, they indicated that no special parts were required. I'm under the impression that the car was dropped by approximately 15 to 20mm. The only way to achieve a further reduction is by swapping out the springs, from I've been told aren't currently available. Cheers....??

·
Registered
551 Posts
How did they drop it? Are that adjustable coilovers underneath? 15 to 20mm should be sufficient. I do like my wheels but the rear ones especially should come out some 20mm. I'm not sure whether spacers would be an option

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
How did they drop it? Are that adjustable coilovers underneath? 15 to 20mm should be sufficient. I do like my wheels but the rear ones especially should come out some 20mm. I'm not sure whether spacers would be an option
I'm not sure how they did it, all I know is it can be done, I will find out if you want. As for the spacers on the back I'm going to address this by getting a complete set of new rims, hopefully the HRE carbon. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
551 Posts
I do like the wheels the way they are. Putting 20mm spacers could do the job but that might put stress on the bearings of the axles perhaps.
If you could find out how they dropped it without parts that would be great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts