McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm currently considering the purchase of a 2013 12C Spider. After reading a number of threads about the price of parts and potentially high repair costs in some cases, I've come to the conclusion that a warranty is essential on these cars.

The McLaren extended warranty is an option, but I am interested in longer-term ownership and don't like that it'll end after year 12, which isn't that far away.

Has anyone had success with warranties offered by other 3rd party warranty companies? Cost, what's roughly covered, how they compare to McLaren extended warranty, etc.? Specifically, I've come across the following, which I plan to contact over the next few days, but would be curious to hear of any experience from other owners:
  • LaSalle Assurance Warranty
  • Total Auto Protect
  • Ideal Auto Protect

·
Registered
63 Posts
Shortly after I got my 12C a few years ago, I was in my local dealer picking up parts and this dealer also happens to service Lamborghini. There was a rep in from one of these 3rd party companies arguing with the service mgr over the price of some type of repair and what a rip off their hourly rates were. I dont know how things ended up working out but it confirmed my belief that on cars like these, its probably more of a gamble that I would be willing to deal with.

That said, I do not have any recent experience with any of these but my advice would be to also talk to whatever dealer you are buying the car from or plan to have it serviced at. My experience in the past has been that these 3rd parties will want to call and negotiate labor rates and parts and there is fairly limited supply of shops that can work on our cars, especially when it comes to electronics. If the warranty company doesnt get the answer they want, they may delay approvals for repairs or ask you to go somewhere else. These 3rd party warranty companies are effectively insurance companies looking to get out of you as much as possible and pay out in repairs as little as possible (no different than the McLaren warranty that is underwritten by a 3rd party). I would verify with any dealer or independent shop you plan to take the car to that they are willing to work with a company like this - especially if you are in a location where there are limited options available for repairs.

·
2012 MP4-12C
342 Posts
Agreed with the above.

Additionally, get the complete service records for the car you are interested in (dealer should have them). You can then see if the usual suspects have already been repaired, if the car is more of a lemon or not, etc.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Shortly after I got my 12C a few years ago, I was in my local dealer picking up parts and this dealer also happens to service Lamborghini. There was a rep in from one of these 3rd party companies arguing with the service mgr over the price of some type of repair and what a rip off their hourly rates were. I dont know how things ended up working out but it confirmed my belief that on cars like these, its probably more of a gamble that I would be willing to deal with.

That said, I do not have any recent experience with any of these but my advice would be to also talk to whatever dealer you are buying the car from or plan to have it serviced at. My experience in the past has been that these 3rd parties will want to call and negotiate labor rates and parts and there is fairly limited supply of shops that can work on our cars, especially when it comes to electronics. If the warranty company doesnt get the answer they want, they may delay approvals for repairs or ask you to go somewhere else. These 3rd party warranty companies are effectively insurance companies looking to get out of you as much as possible and pay out in repairs as little as possible (no different than the McLaren warranty that is underwritten by a 3rd party). I would verify with any dealer or independent shop you plan to take the car to that they are willing to work with a company like this - especially if you are in a location where there are limited options available for repairs.
I don't have experience in this area. However, dealer makes a commission if they sell the Mac approved warranty; it will keep the costs from skyrocketing in the future Mac extended warranty if they have more people sign up for it vs. an independent third party warranty. Just my 2 cents.

I had my arm twisted to get the extended warranty on P1 (Mac approved one). One of the things they mentioned to me is that they needed more people to sign up or the costs would become prohibitive for future renewals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't have experience in this area. However, dealer makes a commission if they sell the Mac approved warranty; it will keep the costs from skyrocketing in the future Mac extended warranty if they have more people sign up for it vs. an independent third party warranty. Just my 2 cents.

I had my arm twisted to get the extended warranty on P1 (Mac approved one). One of the things they mentioned to me is that they needed more people to sign up or the costs would become prohibitive for future renewals.
Thats my issue with the McLaren warranty. Cost keeps going up and covered items keep getting smaller. Although mine has been at Ogara BH having a coolant leak fixed that turned out to be a broken clamp from last year when they replaced the water pump under warranty so no cost to me to fix. However, the whole time I was waiting to find out what the issue was I was anxious about the potential cost to repair. I let the ESC go last year without renewing because I have had 0 issues and full service history from the 1st owner with all the usual stuff taken care of. Im planning to keep it at least 2 more years at this point so will probably hedge on leaving it without a warranty at this point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input, very helpful info and questions to ask as I've spoken to these companies.

For those interested, LaSalle Assurance Warranty no longer offers McLaren warranties but Total Auto Protect and Ideal Auto Protect do. Confirmed they will work with any McLaren dealer nationwide for warranty work and they have imo very favorable terms and pricing. They also offer warranty periods beyond the 12-year cutoff of the McLaren warranties, which makes me more comfortable with long-term ownership.

·
2012 MP4-12C
342 Posts
Thanks all for the input, very helpful info and questions to ask as I've spoken to these companies.

For those interested, LaSalle Assurance Warranty no longer offers McLaren warranties but Total Auto Protect and Ideal Auto Protect do. Confirmed they will work with any McLaren dealer nationwide for warranty work and they have imo very favorable terms and pricing. They also offer warranty periods beyond the 12-year cutoff of the McLaren warranties, which makes me more comfortable with long-term ownership.
Care to share ROM (rough order of magnitude) costs of different plans?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Care to share ROM (rough order of magnitude) costs of different plans?
The top plans from Total Auto Protect and Ideal Auto Protect were several times cheaper annually compared to what I was quoted by McLaren and they seem to be comparable in coverage offered.

Of the two, I recommend Total Auto Protect. So far very professional and nice to work with.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I posted this, quotes from "Total Auto Protect", on another thread:

Disclaimer: Prices based on my car (2012 12C) and (potentially) state, etc. I have not looked into the company and policy wording yet.

This is what they offered (rounded and I haven't attempted to negotiate), with a $250 deductible:

1 year: $3200
2 years: $5200
3 years: $6300
4 years: $7600

They said that it can be continued year-by-year after the original term for the initial price divided by the number of years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I posted this, quotes from "Total Auto Protect", on another thread:

Disclaimer: Prices based on my car (2012 12C) and (potentially) state, etc. I have not looked into the company and policy wording yet.

This is what they offered (rounded and I haven't attempted to negotiate), with a $250 deductible:

1 year: $3200
2 years: $5200
3 years: $6300
4 years: $7600

They said that it can be continued year-by-year after the original term for the initial price divided by the number of years.
What plan was this for? Looks like they have 3 to choose from with varying levels of coverage. Their base offering covers quite a bit but their premier offering covers things like suspension, turbos, AC, fuel system and what is labeled as hi tech electronics.

·
Registered
671 Posts
What plan was this for? Looks like they have 3 to choose from with varying levels of coverage. Their base offering covers quite a bit but their premier offering covers things like suspension, turbos, AC, fuel system and what is labeled as hi tech electronics.

The top one - "Total Premier".

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is actually not bad for pricing for the premier given what it covers. Let us know if you have any success negotiating this. I wonder if a group of say 5 of us all decided to do this what they would be willing to negotiate with for a group discount if they are unwilling to negotiate one by one. I'd be willing to do at least 2 years here as that is how much longer I intend to keep mine but would also want to check with some of the local dealers on their view of working with a company like this including one of the independents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone actually had either of these companies pay for a claim?

There are a few concerning reviews for both companies out there, but out of curiosity I just got quotes from Total Auto Protection and Ideal Auto Protect as my McLaren extended warranty is up later this year.

For a 2-year warranty on my 2014 12C Spider Total quoted me $6700 with a $250 deductible and Ideal quoted me over $11k with a $500 deductible before coming down to $9999 with a $350 deductible.

Seems like Total would be the way to go, but if there is any concern about either of them paying a large claim it would defeat the purpose of going with a third party extended warranty to avoid paying through the nose for the McLaren branded one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My only issue has been the car (2014 12C - had since new) has never really needed anything. The couple of minor things needing repair were covered under warranty - leaks here and there. Most of the other McLaren owners I've talked to have had similar experiences. Big things, like the engine for instance, is all gear driven. If it works the first few miles it pretty much is always going to work - assuming you keep the fluids up to date. The transmission is pretty much bullet proof. I heard Jay Leno say about his McLarens the only thing he's ever done is change fluids. I've decided to self insure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One more thing, a good friend of mine (ex-Wall Street guy) writes a blog. A week or two ago he wrote about insurance. Here's one of his paragraphs about insurance : "I have an MBA in finance from a top school. I have worked at the highest levels of banking for 45 years, I have bought, built, run and sold seven insurance companies, and I have been a Clinical Professor of Finance for over ten years at the graduate level. And here’s the thing, I can barely understand my own insurance policies, especially the Life ones (whole, hybrid or term). I have, over the years, sat down with countless insurance salesmen and executives (even a few actuaries) and they are little or no help. They can tell me how to build the watch, but they can’t tell me the time. None of this is an accident. It is all designed to obfuscate, just like that word is. You being confused more often than not makes you a great client and a lousy consumer of insurance. Don’t believe Sy Sims, an educated consumer is NOT their best customer."

·
Registered
671 Posts
Has anyone actually had either of these companies pay for a claim?
I'd be interested in knowing that too.

Seems like Total would be the way to go, but if there is any concern about either of them paying a large claim it would defeat the purpose of going with a third party extended warranty to avoid paying through the nose for the McLaren branded one.
Yes and no. The price advantage buys some extra "admin". I want a warranty for the big stuff, where it would be worth fighting any refusal vigorously (although you'd rather not have to).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For me the extra peace of mind is worth it. I primarily want it to be covered in the rare event that something very expensive goes wrong.

In my case, Total Auto Protect quoted me a higher price than Ideal Auto Protect, but went with them anyway given the level of professionalism they demonstrated. They seemed flexible on terms and gave the impression they cared about taking care of their customers.

Side note: Ideal Auto Protect has been sending me spam texts and won't stop after responding STOP multiple times. I'm going to have to call them. Their sales person was also too salesman-y for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts