McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very first drive in a MacLaren was in a 720 and I was so excited that I wanted to get a MacLaren. Then I learned that the 650 is the less sensitive car. Now I own a 650 spider but I wonder if I don't miss some speed. Admittedly, I only drive on German motorways and not on race tracks. What do you think? Thanks for your opinion.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,446 Posts
The 720 is objectively the better car in most ways, but is it that much better than what you have? Depends on your thinking. I almost bought a 720 to upgrade from my 12C, but ultimately, to me it was not a $200k better car. I wouldn't be 200k happier. There will always be something better. For me the question is, what is the value proposition. How much better for how much more money, and is it worth that delta.

Congrats on your 650. Hope youre enjoying it!

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
First off, congrats on the 650S, be sure to post pics! Second, the 720S is considered by many to be the GOAT of supercars, so yes, it is better than the 650S. But like Zombie said, is it that much better? That is something only you and your budget can answer. If your budget allows, and moving to a 720S is an option that won’t affect you in any way, I would say go for it. But if an extra $100k-$200k seems daunting, stick with the 650S for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just acquired a 2015 650S Spider around 6 months ago...test drove the 720, and while a darn BEAST, I am never going to track my car...so the extra $200K did not seem worth it for a normal street / weekend driver. I LOVE LOVE this car.....enjoy!

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
A nice 650S is anywhere from $165k-$180k it seems, while a nice 720S is $275k-$300k, so while the difference isn’t $200k, I bet it is enough to make one think if it is worth it or not.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I own a 650S and a 720S. This is because I think that both are sensational cars and do not compete with each other. Both have more than enough power, are super agile, super nimble and super fast, so fast that both cannot be driven at their limits by the vast majority of owners. The 720S is quite simply a different car with extreme aerodynamics and correspondingly extreme looks. In public traffic, with its additional power, the 720S is actually completely underchallenged. Enjoy the 650S, it is an outstanding car with a very beautiful, harmonious and exclusive appearance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I got four new tyres and I tested the 650 spider intensive on the German motorway.

However, I have to say that from zero to 100 in sport mode, this swimming response from the back to the front or even from the sides - called direct steering - somehow takes a lot of getting used to and I always equate it with insecurity on the part of the car.

It's certainly exciting, but can't it do better?

How about the 720 is this different from 0 to 100?

@Iron5 - because you own both and you like both I will get an honest advice from your side. So is the 720 not swimming so much from 0-100?

thanks for all of your thoughts

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Today I got four new tyres and I tested the 650 spider intensive on the German motorway.

However, I have to say that from zero to 100 in sport mode, this swimming response from the back to the front or even from the sides - called direct steering - somehow takes a lot of getting used to and I always equate it with insecurity on the part of the car.

It's certainly exciting, but can't it do better?

How about the 720 is this different from 0 to 100?

@Iron5 - because you own both and you like both I will get an honest advice from your side. So is the 720 not swimming so much from 0-100?

thanks for all of your thoughts
What do you mean by “swimming”?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I own a 650S and a 720S. This is because I think that both are sensational cars and do not compete with each other. Both have more than enough power, are super agile, super nimble and super fast, so fast that both cannot be driven at their limits by the vast majority of owners. The 720S is quite simply a different car with extreme aerodynamics and correspondingly extreme looks. In public traffic, with its additional power, the 720S is actually completely underchallenged. Enjoy the 650S, it is an outstanding car with a very beautiful, harmonious and exclusive appearance.
+1 on this .

650 was my first mclaren . I drove it for 10k miles
720 I drove it for 8k miles .

0 to 100 km/h isn’t much different on most rear wheel cars .

rolling speed and it’s a different story with 720 having a significant advantage.

many people have gone from 12c, 650, 675 to a 720 .

720 has been the best selling mclaren so far .

once you get that itch then it won’t stop until you get the 720

Reactions: Pitpit and Iron5

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Swimming - it’s in a sense Swaying - just the feeling - on the other side when you keep the steering wheel fixed it’s just the bad feeling.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,446 Posts
Tyres are New - Pirelli ..-Right one
Pirelli P-Zero tires? Or Corsa? They can have problems getting traction when they are not fully warmed up. But if you have the Corsa and they are warmed up, they should bite and stick on good roads. I have never had good luck with the P-Zeros. They have always sucked, but I used the 1st version McLaren had as standard on the 12C.

I hear the latest model (might be the 3rd revision since the 12C was released) are much better, but cannot comment other than make sure you do not have version 1 of either the PZero or the Corsa, as both suck.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
What I am trying to get at is if there is an actual mechanical issue, because if the OP doesn’t realize the tires will spin on acceleration maybe they shouldn’t be driving this car until they get some proper training? I would assume the OP knew what they were getting themselves into purchasing a supercar.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts