McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any pointers?

Sounds like something is breaking friction and moving when pulling away after braking. It's not bad, but I'd still like to find what it is. Sort of a click more than clunk ;) Only hear it at town speeds.

Many thanks

Andy M

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
You mentioned it happens when pulling away after braking... Could be a caliper sticking. After a drive, see if you have more break dust on any of your rims. You can also put your hand near the wheels and see if any particular one is hotter than the others.

-nh4.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny, I was just about to post this same thing. In mine, it is more of a clinking noise when I first start the car and head out. Almost like a small metallic thing was hitting the ground under the chassis. It goes away after the car warms up a bit so I thought maybe it is the sound of some expanding metal parts.
Interested to know if anyone else has heard this.
Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anyone have any pointers?

Sounds like something is breaking friction and moving when pulling away after braking. It's not bad, but I'd still like to find what it is. Sort of a click more than clunk ;) Only hear it at town speeds.

Many thanks

Andy M
Do you have carbon ceramic brake?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Non ceramic. I've just been out and the brake/wheel temps match either side on front and rear (checked with infra-red temp gauge). It's more of a clunk and you can feel it slightly through the steering wheel. Frustratingly it's difficult to get it to repeat, occurring at random whilst pulling away. What were the symptoms that resulted in the bolt up-grade I've read about?

Thanks for your suggestions

Andy M

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I know you just said it's hard to get it to repeat, but something that might be worth a try... If you have an open parking lot, or a quiet road, when you pull away from a stop, it might be worth taking your hands off the wheel a few inches and see if the car pulls to either direction.

Does this happen only after coming to a dead stop or have you had it happen when letting go of the breaks on rolling stops as well?

-nh4.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to "play" with it further and discover if there's any triggering factors. The car's only done just over 500miles and obviously still feels as tight as a drum to drive. I'll have a play later ;-)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have also just noticed something similar to this (it may be the same thing). I have noticed it happens only when I start to pull away from a dead stop usually when I just turned the car on and an moving away. Its more of a thud that I can feel in the undercairrage (or may be through the steering wheel). It only happens once for me when I start to move away. Im pretty sure i didnt go over something that hit the underside as the road I was on last night when it happened was flat and clear.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does sound similar to a handbrake sticking after the car's stood for a while although nowhere near as severe. As DXB says, you can feel it, I can't make out if it's through the steering or chassis though. I've played with the brakes on a hill, stopping and rolling away, and it's not them (calliper sticking). It's only sometimes when the transmission comes under load whilst pulling away. It has me intrigued, need to find out what it is ;-)

·
Registered
34 Posts
It does sound similar to a handbrake sticking after the car's stood for a while although nowhere near as severe. As DXB says, you can feel it, I can't make out if it's through the steering or chassis though. I've played with the brakes on a hill, stopping and rolling away, and it's not them (calliper sticking). It's only sometimes when the transmission comes under load whilst pulling away. It has me intrigued, need to find out what it is ;-)
Exactly how I would describe it. Happened to me twice now, both times after the car was stood for a while. And both times when going forward. Used the car today after leaving it pver night but reversed out ofthe garage so didnt experience it.

Andy, have you figured out a way to replicate it again? Mine only happens by chance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just to note, my car also has low mileage on the clock, now at 562 miles, but first appeared around 400miles.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not yet DX, to be honest I'm enjoying driving it too much to start getting all analytical ;-) I will try and remember to try and replicate it next time, maybe ;-)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but...

Next time you hear the noise, immediately look in your rear-view mirror and see whether your airbrake is moving back down from the mid position; on some cars, the airbrake goes clunk when it self-tests.

If that's what you're hearing, your dealer may be able to fix it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Can it be adjusted by Mclaren?
I imagine so. I'm not sure what causes that sound, but it doesn't happen on all cars so you can probably convince your dealer to make it stop happening on yours.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got my car back after the 13 Update and Rearview Camera install, I heard a clicking noise like at first the turn signal was on, but it only happens in Drive and Reverse, not in Neutral. Very weird, I have 3000 miles and this just started. Anyone else notice this only in gear, a slight constant clicking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts