McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
12C got a better start than I thought in the beginning of that race. I thought the first few feet would go to the 911. 12C should take it out as the speeds get higher.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With better tyres the 12c can match (or thereabouts) the 0-60 time of the 911 Turbo S. I've seen videos on YouTube where people were testing the 12c on better road tyres and getting 0-60 times of 2.8 seconds.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
They have to use L/C on both cars and the Porsche has to be in Sport Plus Mode. Other wise its a point less test.....Massive diff in the Porsche. Also in SP as well as a totally different throttle map... gives and extra 50lbs of T.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Sooo looking forward to that, one of those two WILL be my next car.

Heart/Head scenario, head is saying Porsche.
Buy the Porsche if you cannot do without the rear seats, otherwise its just another Porsche,and only as special as a Porsche can be :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sooo looking forward to that, one of those two WILL be my next car.

Heart/Head scenario, head is saying Porsche.
I have a morning at Millbrook next week, my head is currently saying 12C... at that cost, it makes sense :eek:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
if you can do with the 2 seats. Its the 12C every time. Although I keep my Turbos 3 years and do 36k in them....Not sure how a 36K mile 12C would look price wise....

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you can do with the 2 seats. Its the 12C every time. Although I keep my Turbos 3 years and do 36k in them....Not sure how a 36K mile 12C would look price wise....
No McLaren dealer near to Sheffield, and no warranty extensions beyond 3 years. The rear seats are not a deal breaker, but are nice to have on occasion.

What is a realistic tank range (mixed road driving) ?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Interesting that Harris mentioned turbo lag in the 12c a few times, and that it was more noticeable in the 12c than the 911. One of the fairly common comments in other reviews, and indeed one of the reasons the turbos are designed the way they are, is to reduce turbo lag...

For owners, what's your take on turbo lag, or lack there of? Anyone here have both a 991 911 turbo or turbo S and a 12c for a direct compare?

-Jamie.

·
Registered
964 Posts
For owners, what's your take on turbo lag, or lack there of? Anyone here have both a 991 911 turbo or turbo S and a 12c for a direct compare?

-Jamie.
I've always felt that there was a lot less lag in the 12C than my previous 911Turbo...
In fact I don't think I've ever really noticed anything of note in the 12C :confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Thanks Gary and noone1, what you guys are saying is pretty much what I've heard / read in most every other review outside of this one.

Makes me wonder if the turbo setup in the 991 is some sort of epic monster to make Harris say there was lag in the 12c!

-Jamie.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Interesting that Harris mentioned turbo lag in the 12c a few times, and that it was more noticeable in the 12c than the 911. One of the fairly common comments in other reviews, and indeed one of the reasons the turbos are designed the way they are, is to reduce turbo lag...

-Jamie.
I noticed Chris say that as well and I scratched my head about it. Like previous post, having driven both a 997 TT and 12C I couldn't notice ANY lag in the 12C.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Yeah I was surprised by the turbo lag comment. I don't notice turbo lag in my 12C. I had a Porsche Turbo previously and it wasn't that big a deal in that car either.

·
Registered
824 Posts
12C also seemed to get a bit bogged down away from the line, which appears supported by the 3.7 sec 0 - 60 time he quoted.

Chris Harris one of the best journos out there, but at the end of the day, a big, big Porsche fan who gets lots of favours from them, so not really surprised by his comments.

As an aside, he drove the 458 round that track on a Drive video a few weeks ago and get through four sets of tyres: :eek:

1 - 20 of 206 Posts