McLaren Life banner
141 - 160 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
I arrived early to find the stunning white pre-production car - I wanted one and was eager to get on with specifying my own car.
Ferrari "special press cars" but Mclaren would offer a car that wasn't prepared.
Mac relies on customer confidence to pre purchase - same as every factory so why set up for failure.
It's like an audit firm press release to lower stock price and comes back to re - audit and buys stock and then releases all is grand - we were wrong then but right now - odd

Mac fans and others are tired of the false narratives - CH bashed Lambo / F8 and praised SF90 - he gets exactly what he bargained for - 500+ owners down deep don't care what he says and if they did they would have missed out on the 765LT.
Now it's a cake and eat it to scenarios- we could all lighten up and enjoy.
you are making less and less sense. Chris was highly critical of the SF90, loved the Hurcan STO
mute here we go

·
Registered
989 Posts
Clearly did not like the car but then comes back to test and spec a car same day -
720 and Senna proven - LT was a guaranteed home run with 1500+ and line around the block. CH takes a second drive and just so happened to have an allocation / spec session waiting after a test drive - whatever the truth is the results appear to meet and exceed what every customer expected.
Chris has most definitley not ordered a 765LT

·
Registered
26 Posts
To me it feels like Chris Harris started looking down on McLaren when his pal Chris Goodwin left McLaren as their chief development driver and moved to Aston Martin.

This is like reading the stars so please don’t take it seriously.

·
Registered
989 Posts
To me it feels like Chris Harris started looking down on McLaren when his pal Chris Goodwin left McLaren as their chief development driver and moved to Aston Martin.

causation and correlation...
Having raced with those two for 4 years there might have been a little bit more to it than that ;)

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts

The pal thing isn't exclusive to racing factories etc. people change jobs and careers.
This forum is made up of owners and enthusiasts of Mclaren.
Recently some VIP members in mind only have made a choice to post cryptic and toxic, fair game if they share the experience so we can all learn and or help.

These are tough times for many, these factories are struggling and it's utter naive bs to judge and the ones who do are infants (sorry but had to let that out for all)
As the world comes out of covid, it will be a different place - saying please and thank you showing a few words of respect will be appreciated and not saying those words may get you in a lot of trouble as people are on edge.

Appreciate you saying, do not take it seriously but one might add journalists should be saying -
Thank You to Mclaren for building the 765LT and the owners supporting the brand by the LT selling out before CH said a word!

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's honestly amazing what software can do, look at the latest Tesla Plaid software release a couple days ago, it turned it into a track monster and solved nearly every problem the car had.
A car that weighs 5,000lbs and lapped the Nurburgring at 7:30 I would not necessarily consider to be a track monster haha. An SVJ which is 261 hp less than a plaid, has the transmission from a 1927 Ford Model A, and also a huge fat pig, did it in 6:44. Shoot even a $60k Chevy Camero ZL1 beat the Plaid around the Nurburgring and did a 7:29 haha.

Get a Senna or a 765LT in the hands of a professional, and I would guarantee it would in the low 6:30's, if not faster. A full minute faster than the Plaid.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Some owners did pause about taking delivery of 765 based on the initial reviews (about 5 of them waiting for the car did message me on i/g). The tests were about one month before the initial customers received the cars. Not much happened with the initial deliveries to customers (track wise). If there was set up changes (alignment from his first drive to the next then I can understand why the car might have felt different). The initial tests just looked like a bunch of media doing it on the same day with the same car (tires would be getting worn out very quickly). Fastest lap times and when the tires feel the best is on a second/third lap with fresh tires).

Fast forward to February 2021 - where an owner with a stock 765 handily beat gt2rs lap time by several, several seconds at Paul Ricard. March 2021 - my coach gets within 7/10th's of a second of Senna lap record at Laguna Seca (1:27.93) in a fully stock/showroom floor car. The rest is history...

If/when there was any changes to the production cars from the initial media tests - then when were these incorporated into customer cars, if any and were there later software updates, if any (I'm not aware of any).

Mclaren should perhaps let competent local pro's/owners set lap times on these cars and splash it on their social media...

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Some owners did pause about taking delivery of 765 based on the initial reviews (about 5 of them waiting for the car did message me on i/g). The tests were about one month before the initial customers received the cars. Not much happened with the initial deliveries to customers (track wise). If there was set up changes (alignment from his first drive to the next then I can understand why the car might have felt different). The initial tests just looked like a bunch of media doing it on the same day with the same car (tires would be getting worn out very quickly). Fastest lap times and when the tires feel the best is on a second/third lap with fresh tires).

Fast forward to February 2021 - where an owner with a stock 765 handily beat gt2rs lap time by several, several seconds at Paul Ricard. March 2021 - my coach gets within 7/10th's of a second of Senna lap record at Laguna Seca (1:27.93) in a fully stock/showroom floor car. The rest is history...

If/when there was any changes to the production cars from the initial media tests - then when were these incorporated into customer cars, if any and were there later software updates, if any (I'm not aware of any).

Mclaren should perhaps let competent local pro's/owners set lap times on these cars and splash it on their social media...
You are very good and work hard to share the truth as are others and it is appreciated! Thank you
Cancel culture or bad reviews is very tough on owners employees and ultimately profits and inefficiency - amazes me it's guys who pay nothing as the factories and owners carry all the costs for the reviewer who takes free joy rides - bad reviews only make things worse from the inside out.
Prefer someone with skin in the game offering true insight from start to end.

As you stated owners test drivers and or F1 drivers - keep the ones who have no skin in the game out - my .02 to Mac
A lot to be said about Fiorano or to the Ring for the ultimate test with a prepared car and driver.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
431 Posts
As is often said, the truth probably lies in the middle. To think McLaren hasn't tweaked ANYTHING from the initial launch would be foolish, as they do this almost every year even with the same model. It's not uncommon at all. Corvette in 2017 with the Z06 overheating comes to mind. So I think there is merit to this line of thinking.

With regard to Chris Harris, it's entirely possible he had an axe to grind with Mac. It's also possible he got a crappy car with bad tires or was in a sh*tty mood that day. Who knows...While I could be 100% wrong, I have a feeling the car he drove the second time was not identical to the car he drove the first time. It's rare journalists get it as wrong as he did with the initial 765LT test. It could've been a complete tweak by McLaren, it could've been something as small as a re-alignment or new tires...But I highly doubt the car was exactly the same...Whatever it was, he seemed to really like it. Now the waiting game begins...likely Q4 for me.

·
Owner
657 Posts
A car that weighs 5,000lbs and lapped the Nurburgring at 7:30 I would not necessarily consider to be a track monster haha. An SVJ which is 261 hp less than a plaid, has the transmission from a 1927 Ford Model A, and also a huge fat pig, did it in 6:44. Shoot even a $60k Chevy Camero ZL1 beat the Plaid around the Nurburgring and did a 7:29 haha.

Get a Senna or a 765LT in the hands of a professional, and I would guarantee it would in the low 6:30's, if not faster. A full minute faster than the Plaid.
Sorry, my words went right over your head.

My point was that a simple software change can completely affect the dynamics of a vehicle; the Plaid is a most recent case in point. It is very likely the software in the 765LT has changed since Chris Harris reviewed it over a year ago, so it in essence is not the same car. Software can make a huge difference on modern cars which was the point I was trying to convey.

With respect to the Plaid, all quoted times were with the previous version of the Plaid's software, before the recent Race Mode update. Despite that not being the point I was making, the Plaid is indeed one of the fastest in the world of sedans, the current time of 7:30 on standard Michelin Pilot Sport 4's in a 4800lbs luxury sedan that can haul five adults and three suitcases is an amazing feat for a car that doesn't have a wing nor track focused tires. Not to mention it's been beating every other sedan before this latest update even came out last week. Reevaluating it with this new update on any track is going to show how very amazing it truly is, and it will indeed be a track monster, needing maybe only pads and track tires. Since the update it's a completely different car now with the new race mode, like getting a $30k suspension, steering, and brake upgrade for free. I have no doubt the car is going to be even faster on all tracks with the software update, owners that have received the recent update know exactly what I'm talking about. It's like the car was converted to a go-kart and is on rails now. Zero body roll, near perfect torque vectoring, and absolutely mind-blowing cornering. Even the brakes are way better. Night and Day from last week. Just wait to see the new reviews, or better yet, go drive one and put it in Race Mode and compare it on and off. Go attack an on-ramp or twisty road with the pedal floored, you'll see what I mean, it can now do things that don't even seem possible.

·
Registered
748 Posts
There’s no doubt that the Plaid is impressively fast and that EVs will soon be the highest performing vehicles in every segment.

To me, sound is one of the most important attributes of a sports car and therefore I have no interest in owning an EV (aside from a daily driver). I watched the Plaid video from the Nurburgring and all I could hear was tire noise. No thanks.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There’s no doubt that the Plaid is impressively fast and that EVs will soon be the highest performing vehicles in every segment.

To me, sound is one of the most important attributes of a sports car and therefore I have no interest in owning an EV (aside from a daily driver). I watched the Plaid video from the Nurburgring and all I could hear was tire noise. No thanks.
Yep. F1 is not the same without the sound.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

I 100% agree. I think for a daily appliance EVs are fine- but man- don’t call an ev a sports car. They just aren’t the same type of driving that a 720 type car give you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Analogous discussions would have happened over 100 years ago when we went from horses to horseless carriages however within a few years the horseless carriages developed into the predecessors of our current cars and once again captured our imaginations whilst horses continued having their enthusiasts. Never done it but I imagine riding a galloping horse would be quite an experience even now even though it is much slower than a car.

Somehow I don't see this happening with electric vehicles, which I agree are aptly described as "appliances", albeit sometimes very fast appliances. The future may prove me wrong however.

·
Registered
238 Posts
While I’m holding onto the internal combustion engine fun cars, I also understand fun electric sport cars and super cars will come. I might even like them in the future. Of course, sound is important to me but I realize it’s the meaning and emotions that I assigned them. I expect a new generation of enthusiasts to not care about internal combustion engine sounds.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
While I’m holding onto the internal combustion engine fun cars, I also understand fun electric sport cars and super cars will come. I might even like them in the future. Of course, sound is important to me but I realize it’s the meaning and emotions that I assigned them. I expect a new generation of enthusiasts to not care about internal combustion engine sounds.
what enthusiasts? Professor Says Technology for Driverless F1 Is Closer...

·
Owner
657 Posts
Boy this thread took a turn and derailed. I'm sorry I mentioned the word "Plaid", you all saw one word and ran with it. 😂 It was for the purpose of comparing how software can dramatically affect vehicle dynamics, advanced software suspension tuning and torque vectoring, not pick on the EV scab.

Point was, Chris Harris and Ollie Marriage got into a vehicle that likely did not have polished software at the time. Because they are the #1 car show in the UK, they got an early car likely before anyone else. They both agreed on each other's assessment of the vehicle, which leads me to believe they had an early pre-production version of the 765LT with unpolished software. Two guys with the same assessment of the same car on the same track. Software updates were likely released and installed on all the other journalist demos. Case in point was the Plaid recently went from a noodly suspension to go-kart handling overnight with just a software upgrade. ...now let's start talking about noodles and go-karts. 😆

141 - 160 of 248 Posts