McLaren Life banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Certainly the same car however the first video was on a race track whilst the recent one looks like an airfield, possibly Dunsfold which they use as the top gear test track. Its not far from Woking so to get the car a second time wouldn't be difficult.
The only guy I remotely trust is Brooks from drag times. He has no agenda and actually owns the cars.
Dragtimes videos are the best when it comes to acceleration testing but that's it. For dynamics, handling, braking etc we need to look elsewhere.

Reactions: Capsfan and Scrappy

Registered
If they cared about second hand they wouldn't rake one of their largest markets over the coals on parts. US market pays double what Europe does.
Interesting to hear as the US is probably close to or the cheapest country to buy a car new. This starts to explain the relative difficulties in scoring limited edition cars. We commonly see posts on this forum from US members having trouble getting an allocation. In Australia where the cars even allowing for exchange rates and taxes are much more expensive than US we have a dealer that has sold 4 or 5 spiders into a population of under 2M with some confirmed as recently as about 6 weeks ago.

Makes me think manufacturers preference markets with higher profit margins for their limited production cars.

Can't really comment on spare part prices here but our servicing costs appear to be relatively low compared to forum posts from US members here and on Porsche forums. We get reamed on entry, you guys during ownership. Looking at the amounts I'd rather be you.馃

Registered
Interesting. We are in APAC so economic concerns in Asia and China may have freed up more cars for Australia.

In general however profit margins in APAC would be higher than NA.

Registered
Doubt its an issue on the production line but moreso in dealing with suppliers.

Registered
Analogous discussions would have happened over 100 years ago when we went from horses to horseless carriages however within a few years the horseless carriages developed into the predecessors of our current cars and once again captured our imaginations whilst horses continued having their enthusiasts. Never done it but I imagine riding a galloping horse would be quite an experience even now even though it is much slower than a car.

Somehow I don't see this happening with electric vehicles, which I agree are aptly described as "appliances", albeit sometimes very fast appliances. The future may prove me wrong however.

Registered
He owes them nothing. This is a first world problem, although it's evidently very personal to you.
I agree, definitely first world problem...... for us. But the success of the company also affects the employment of many at McLaren and it's suppliers and also us eventually as the more successful (or the less it struggles) the better the development of the cars we buy, long term customer support etc.

Registered
That's a meaningless, specious argument.
Tell that to those who lost their jobs a year ago. Not the entire reason but anything that influences sales or the reputation of a company will affect peoples lives.

Reactions: shack

Registered
Lol. Yeah, that was all down to Chris Harris! 馃憤
I didn't say that was the entire reason however it contributes to the negative narrative around McLaren that it is doing poorly financially, builds poor and unreliable quality cars which is prevalent online. Whether we like it or not CH is influential to many.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.