McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts
2012 MP4-12C
1,913 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
In the past, he was not favorable toward the car, which unfortunately, put off a few people from purchasing, as they trusted his opinions. That was clearly a misguided opinion. Personally, I don't care to hear any redo assessments. Good friends of mine passed at msrp and now they're paying a premium.
Really? I knew he hated the Senna, but he loved the 720S, so I gathered he loved the 765LT as well.

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
153 Posts
Never understood why someone would buy/not buy a car based on someone else's "opinion"! But then again, in all my years in the automotive field, most of the reasons why people bought cars were baffling.... 🤣 :cautious:

·
Sponsor
960 Posts
Never understood why someone would buy/not buy a car based on someone else's "opinion"! But then again, in all my years in the automotive field, most of the reasons why people bought cars were baffling.... 🤣 :cautious:
Limited production makes customers rely on insider information in order to make "informed" decisions. At that time, most people trusted Harris.

·
Sponsor
960 Posts
The original Chris Harris assessment was prior to any customers having access to driving the car. New cars are always a bit of a gamble. After experiencing the 675lt, I knew the 765lt had to be magic. I wish they had listened to my advice...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whilst I haven't watched this latest Top Gear Chris Harris review, I now pay very little attention to what motoring journalists say.

I have seen at media track release days journalists, on a very tight time line, upload reviews to their editors prior to driving the car. Furthermore, when given VERY limited time with the car to film a video review many things are left to creative license. I have also witnessed a journalist falling out with a manufacturer's media team of insufficient access to the car and subsequently write unfavourable reviews as 'payback'.

My history with the 765LT. My car was imminently arriving (March 2021) and the Chris Harris tweet advising everyone to buy a 720S was the topic of the moment. Some wanted to cancel orders / allocation. I wasn't among them.

I am an expericned track driver and was one of (if not the first) to track the 765LT in Australia and likely southern hemisphere. Early that day San Francisco time a group of 765LT owners had tracked their cars. They all raved about how good it was, how BENIGN it was when the limits are breached, how fast it was and how much fun. This was consistent with several of the moroting press reviews but not all - the most prominent of which was Chris Harris and top gear stating words to the effect of the 765 is a good car not a great one.

Back to the first track experience in April 2021. Both I and another 765LT owner tracked it. We both are experienced and drivers of similar ability. Both had 720s previously and experience in 600LT and 620R and lots of experience with Porsche GT3, GT2RS, Pista as well.

After the first track session it clearly was the best car I had ever driven, faster than anything I had driven and in my first track session ever in it I was 3 seconds a lap faster than I was in 720S. Now 7 months later I am 5 seconds a lap faster.

I spoke to our American friends who also had pro drivers track the car - the conclusion was similar to mine. Fast, fun and EASY to control. A similar conclusion was drawn from the Australian Pros too.
The 765LT continues a dynasty of the best drivers cars ever made, and cars that are superlative on track. The 765LT is the final product of the P14/15 team or the "dream team" assembled by Ron Dennis before the 12C. Everyone of their products has decimated the competition. McLaren's challenge now is to build and improve on this legacy and maintain product superiority as the majority of this team no longer works for McLaren.

Summary: The 765LT is the best track car available today in its segment. And the car journos are full of shit. Draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Whilst I haven't watched this latest Top Gear Chris Harris review, I now pay very little attention to what motoring journalists say.

I have seen at media track release days journalists, on a very tight time line, upload reviews to their editors prior to driving the car. Furthermore, when given VERY limited time with the car to film a video review many things are left to creative license. I have also witnessed a journalist falling out with a manufacturer's media team of insufficient access to the car and subsequently write unfavourable reviews as 'payback'.

My history with the 765LT. My car was imminently arriving (March 2021) and the Chris Harris tweet advising everyone to buy a 720S was the topic of the moment. Some wanted to cancel orders / allocation. I wasn't among them.

I am an expericned track driver and was one of (if not the first) to track the 765LT in Australia and likely southern hemisphere. Early that day San Francisco time a group of 765LT owners had tracked their cars. They all raved about how good it was, how BENIGN it was when the limits are breached, how fast it was and how much fun. This was consistent with several of the moroting press reviews but not all - the most prominent of which was Chris Harris and top gear stating words to the effect of the 765 is a good car not a great one.

Back to the first track experience in April 2021. Both I and another 765LT owner tracked it. We both are experienced and drivers of similar ability. Both had 720s previously and experience in 600LT and 620R and lots of experience with Porsche GT3, GT2RS, Pista as well.

After the first track session it clearly was the best car I had ever driven, faster than anything I had driven and in my first track session ever in it I was 3 seconds a lap faster than I was in 720S. Now 7 months later I am 5 seconds a lap faster.

I spoke to our American friends who also had pro drivers track the car - the conclusion was similar to mine. Fast, fun and EASY to control. A similar conclusion was drawn from the Australian Pros too.
The 765LT continues a dynasty of the best drivers cars ever made, and cars that are superlative on track. The 765LT is the final product of the P14/15 team or the "dream team" assembled by Ron Dennis before the 12C. Everyone of their products has decimated the competition. McLaren's challenge now is to build and improve on this legacy and maintain product superiority as the majority of this team no longer works for McLaren.

Summary: The 765LT is the best track car available today in its segment. And the car journos are full of shit. Draw your own conclusions.
The only guy I remotely trust is Brooks from drag times. He has no agenda and actually owns the cars.

·
Owner
601 Posts
I don't understand why it has taken this long to release this video. This had to have been filmed over a year ago and here's the proof... There was a Top gear episode with Ollie Marriage driving the 765LT and it was the exact same car with the same license plate and it's been online for over a year...

Here are the comparison screenshots...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
462 Posts
Certainly the same car however the first video was on a race track whilst the recent one looks like an airfield, possibly Dunsfold which they use as the top gear test track. Its not far from Woking so to get the car a second time wouldn't be difficult.
The only guy I remotely trust is Brooks from drag times. He has no agenda and actually owns the cars.
Dragtimes videos are the best when it comes to acceleration testing but that's it. For dynamics, handling, braking etc we need to look elsewhere.

Reactions: Capsfan and Scrappy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Brooks is quite the character. I appreciate how the only thing he cares about is the time slip. EV ? Turbo ? Cool brand ? Modded ? Nothing matters besides having fun and going as fast as possible. But mostly just going as fast as possible. It’s an ethos.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Brooks is quite the character. I appreciate how the only thing he cares about is the time slip. EV ? Turbo ? Cool brand ? Modded ? Nothing matters besides having fun and going as fast as possible. But mostly just going as fast as possible. It’s an ethos.
Atleast there is no agenda. So far. Maybe as he grows he might get some corporate influence.

2012 MP4-12C
1,913 Posts
Atleast there is no agenda. So far. Maybe as he grows he might get some corporate influence.
...... because everyone has had an Elva delivered to them to drive for a week.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts