McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was low on fuel 25 miles to empty (according to the gauge) about to pull into Mobil and there it is. I was hoping filling the tank would resolve the issue, but it didn't. Then the car sat for about an hour and a half at the gym. Still on. Let's see if it resets in the AM. Any suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
586 Posts
When I get a check engine light, it takes some 3 to 5 cycles of turning the engine off (all doors locked too! This is necessary to turn off all the 7 on board computers at the same time) and restarting the car to get rid of it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just curious why do these cars have this issue? I've seen a few posts here about it and a few videos on youtube. Is there something actually wrong with the car or is the light coming on for no reason(which I guess would also be something wrong but not wrong light the light says)? The reason I ask is because I've been shopping for a 570s and since the closest dealer is 4 or so hours away I would have to have it trailer-ed up there. And paying $1500 for a round trip hauling service just to clear a code that shouldn't be on in the first place will get a little agitating.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
does the menu fault code say something more specific? or an obd2 scan is needed.

some folks have trouble, some do not. my buddies 570 has no problems in 5k miles, I have no issues in 20k + miles on my 12c

·
2012 MP4-12C
939 Posts
I just bought a $20 wifi obd2 scanner from Amazon and used a free app on the iPhone to talk to it. Reads trouble codes without issue. Let's you know what's wrong in minutes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It cleared finally. On the 5th start after locking the car as suggested. No rhyme or reason and no idea what caused it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No other indications. Just the check engine light. I'm guessing it was the low fuel that triggered something, as it happened as I was driving to the gas station, but don't know for sure. Just glad it's gone.

·
Owner
547 Posts
I had the same problem around 150 miles. ODB scanner said it had misfired on all cylinders. The hard code error will disappear after a few start top cycles. McLaren tech said it was caused by the computer still learning the idle on the new car. This made sense as I did experience a rough idle that day, during startup. Error never came back.

·
Raawwrrrrr!
56 Posts
No other indications. Just the check engine light. I'm guessing it was the low fuel that triggered something, as it happened as I was driving to the gas station, but don't know for sure. Just glad it's gone.
Driving on low fuel throws the fuel and temp sensors off and needs to be cleared. Known issue.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Driving on low fuel throws the fuel and temp sensors off and needs to be cleared. Known issue.
kinda begs the question why would it do that in the first place.

i mean, on the one hand it's "normal", nothing to worry about. on the other hand, that's not really "normal" is it, where other cars are concerned!

Ah, English motors :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just had a check engine light. Car brought back to Beverly Hills from San Diego, McLaren Roadside Assistance picked it up without charge. They told me it misfired in a cylinder, and it happens in heavy loads if too much air is being pumped in. It probably shouldn't activate the light, and it probably is too sensitive a fail-safe. They told me it actually went out itself during their testing, and they cleared it anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just had a check engine light. Car brought back to Beverly Hills from San Diego, McLaren Roadside Assistance picked it up without charge. They told me it misfired in a cylinder, and it happens in heavy loads if too much air is being pumped in. It probably shouldn't activate the light, and it probably is too sensitive a fail-safe. They told me it actually went out itself during their testing, and they cleared it anyway.
Interesting since you have a tune that they didnt note that it was tuned, perhaps McLaren themselves would as I believe they get all of this infomation sent to them automatically from the dealer computer. You poor bastards in CA have piss for fuel. We have 94 octane here in Canada and these cars love it. :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
They are the ones who tuned it, so they know it's tuned and they warranty the tune. And yes, the fuel here is utter shit. I used to have 93 and 94 back in NYC also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They are the ones who tuned it, so they know it's tuned and they warranty the tune. And yes, the fuel here is utter shit. I used to have 93 and 94 back in NYC also.
Brave, if McLaren HQ found out they were paying to fixing warranty claims from a dealer installing tunes I don't think they would be too happy. But on the other hand these cars are detuned so I doubt very much if they'd see any serious issues from a tune.

·
Registered
2018 McLaren 570s Spider
15 Posts
Having this issue on my 18 spider. Just got it, tried the recommendations in here (turn on/off with doors close) no luck. Any other recommendations? No mclaren here in vegas. 🙈

1 - 20 of 25 Posts