McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have narrowed the search down now..... to one in the 600s range, two in the 1100s range and one in the 1700 range.

The 600s range car has every option, and low miles and is middle of the pack in price terms, but the others have slightly more miles or lower spec. Are there any "known issues" or reasons to steer clear of the earlier models? Were there any pre-MTC cars produced? Is the build quality itself in earlier models any different to the later models? Are there any engineering differences at different VIN strata that would be important to know about?

...or am I being paranoid? ;)

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
No your not paranoid, just picky, as you should be when spending large amounts of wonga.

The early cars are just as reliable as later cars but build fit and finish of external panels improved with time.......the interior has always been good. It takes a good eye to see the differences.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RIC. I am going to visit my local McLaren dealer with the VIN, he offered to check it over for the 600s model. He was very accommodating when I dropped by to pick his brains despite telling him I may end up buying a car elsewhere if the specs fit my list.

The VIN numbers are only in my head because people here seem to talk about the paddle feel changing, the fit and finish changing as you said, and small differences. I think on another thread 1000+ was mentioned as ironing out a lot of the early issues, would this affect resale value at all do you think?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I think 2013 cars are considered a tighter build than earlier ones. As regards residuals that will sway with demand imop with early cars moderately cheaper.Difficult to be precise.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
I have #213 - pretty early build. The most notable issue I have is the paddle feel. I have also realized the car is a better shifter than me and leave it in auto. In track mode it holds the shifts no different than if you were shifting manually. My dealer told me that the early cars used a rigid suspension to tub mount that they installed rubber bushings in later models. This produces a noticeable clunk when you hit big bumps in the road. I have not encountered anything that made me think OMG!

IMO I think it's super cool to be able to say my car was built in the MTC next to the F1 cars... If you get one thru a Mac dealer and can get it CPO - do it and never look back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts