McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I might soon be in a situation where no McL dealer is in the reach so will have to get them changed by a tire shop/small garage or even by myself.

Any experience how hard or easy is it to change the rear and/or front brake pads ? Anyone done this already ?

Thanks.
That's not good news McDc, whats happening with the Mac dealership are they relocating? It's a pretty simple procedure if you are mechanically inclined, and have the tools and location to be able to perform the task at hand. Personally I would much rather have someone who's familiar with the car and it's systems to perform this task, better safe then sorry. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
No no, my Mac dealership is still there :)

It's just that I'm travelling across europe for some trackday and would need to change the pads at some point in time.

I'm surprised that nobody ever changed his pads themselves.
I would definitely do mine (at my friends garage, with supervision!) if they needed doing but they don't just yet. I was actually thinking of getting a set of the Yellow Stuff pads just to chuck in the boot, eg for the Ring trip, just so I knew I had some spares. Heard ok reports on them for other cars but not sure about the 12C.

·
Registered
289 Posts
How to change your pads?

Here is a link on how to change your brake pads
http://www.ehow.com/how_4514453_change-front-brake-pads.html

We can follow all the steps except that I feel we do not need to unbolt and remove the calipers. Removal of heavy calipers may stress the brake lines and cause brake fluid leaks if not handled properly. We can simply remove the top pins at the top of the calipers to un-slot the pads.

Our advanced brake system consist of a brake sensor cable that fits into the pad backing the caliper, please remember to reconnect this sensor clip. Another point the article did not mention but i thought was important is to apply a high temp copper grease on the leading and trailing edges of the pad backing.

Disclaimer: I have not done it myself but I did observe the process on several occasions.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a link on how to change your brake pads
http://www.ehow.com/how_4514453_change-front-brake-pads.html

We can follow all the steps except that I feel we do not need to unbolt and remove the calipers. Removal of heavy calipers may stress the brake lines and cause brake fluid leaks if not handled properly. We can simply remove the top pins at the top of the calipers to un-slot the pads.

Our advanced brake system consist of a brake sensor cable that fits into the pad backing the caliper, please remember to reconnect this sensor clip. Another point the article did not mention but i thought was important is to apply a high temp copper grease on the leading and trailing edges of the pad backing.

Disclaimer: I have not done it myself but I did observe the process on several occasions.

Hope this helps.
Thanks RC33, much appreciated.

I'm more or less familiar with the standard process of changing pads but just wanted to make sure there is nothing special with the 12C as the car has some very unique solutions in other areas.

@Naranja: Not very keen to try EBC yellow stuff. Tried them a few years ago for track use and was not impressed at all. IMO they are good for advanced street pace but not more.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
@Naranja: Not very keen to try EBC yellow stuff. Tried them a few years ago for track use and was not impressed at all. IMO they are good for advanced street pace but not more.
Thanks Martin. Point taken. I'd heard poor reports on somewhat heavier cars but was hoping the 12C may be different. Will keep looking.
Back slightly more on topic, I'd imagine there's no mystery to changing the pads from what I can see, without taking the wheels off.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks RC33, much appreciated.

I'm more or less familiar with the standard process of changing pads but just wanted to make sure there is nothing special with the 12C as the car has some very unique solutions in other areas.
Some important points to note:
1) Got to remove the 3 horizontal pins as denoted by the red arrows.
2) The Brake pad wear sensor cable
3) Ensure that the Pad Spring has to be in the right orientation as per 'ARROW' indicating direction of rotor moving forward.

A prudent practice is to do one corner at a time to prevent any confusion should any mis-steps occur.:eek:

Picture is taken for the left front 6 pot caliper but the same will apply to the 4 pot caliper in the standard cast iron setup as well... albeit not as large.:D

Attachments

·
Banned
111 Posts
The brakes are just ap racing so unless mclaren will only stock them from dealers might be able to get spares from AP dealers, is all pretty basic not sure if pads drop out without taking calipers off. Stick to standard pads more than adequate and if you need more braking stamp harder on the pedal.

·
Registered
615 Posts
front discs are very easy to change as well

next week we'll have to change rear discs

i'll let you know if it's difficult or not

the important things is to be sure you've got a new set of sensor wire (for the pads)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The standard(non ceraminc) brake pads should be quite easy. What after market pads are available for the 12C right now. I like Performance Friction and Pagid's but do they make any in the 12C's size?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pads just slide out once pins are removed. I have AP's at present.
You should also use copper grease on the pins as they can seize over time.
Just a bit on the tip and head.. You might need to replace these at the same time as the pads.#
They are cheap £8 a full set of 8..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Changing the pads was very easy. Just remove the pins, clam, sensor cable and then change the pads. The pins are part of each package of pads.
Good to know. Did you use OEM Martin? And are they AP's? Thanks.
I'd never actually considered the jacking up issues (I admit to not checking the handbook at this stage btw!) I assume as long as rubber pads are used in the correct places there are no problems?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
615 Posts
a lillte bit more difficult to change rear dics because, the wheel doesnt turn to help you ...

anyway very easy BUT

i ve got an issue with my hand brake rear left pad, there is no more material on it, and it is possible that i ve got a problem of hand brake setup. So I'll change this pad friday but i need to go to service in paris next week to check the problem. It has damaged the rear disc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts