McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am a DSG fan through and through, but it'll be sad to see it phased out from the base 911s. The GT3/GT2 set are designed to be track oriented machines (despite what lunatic poseur fanboys say), so PDK is the only way to go. But I can appreciate the fun of rowing my own, particularly if I never have to do it in traffic, so it'd be cool to still have that option for a sunday car. But McLarens will never (and should never) back pedal on technology.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Innitially VW developed dual clutch boxes to reduce emissions and suddenly the world car makers realised that the dual clutch could also speed up gear change and thus performance with little or no weight penalty.

I have just bought a 4x4 with an 8 speed DCT box despite the fact it has so much torque it cycles between 7th and 8th most of the time........so why not just eliminate 1st, 3rd, 5th and maybe 6th or 7th......well it's driven by emission compliance and being seen to be a good citizen in my view as it has little logic or impact on performance ( it is a diesel engine),

I think the demise of the manual box is connected to the good citizen of the future issue!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts