McLaren Life banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
So..It will buff out? Somebody had to say it.

Reactions: ventura

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So..It will buff out? Somebody had to say it.
With my industrial strength buffer, sure ?

I actually have all the melted bits off already - lights, bumper, deck spoiler, deck lid, etc. Also have new pipes already welded up too (no couplers!). For Friday I’ll have a pretty racey look I think! ?

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I actually have all the melted bits off already - lights, bumper, deck spoiler, deck lid, etc. Also have new pipes already welded up too (no couplers!). For Friday I’ll have a pretty racey look I think! ?

Thanks!

Z.
Any current photos of the exhaust mod and the repairs?

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Thanks!

Z.
Any current photos of the exhaust mod and the repairs?
I just completed v3 of my exhaust about a week ago and tested it at Buttonwillow mid week - went very well. Latest version uses factory mounting points. I replaced the OEM wing, bumper, etc, last year so it all looks factory, and then cut a fresh new slot for the center exit exhaust. The new one is of course fully welded all the way so it so no chance of what happened before happening again. I have a curved shield on there now too, though personally still not 100% happy with it. Looks like the shield that the P1 GTR has, but still I think I need to tweak it a little more cosmetically.

I dropped off the car at McLaren yesterday for some other work I need done, so probably won’t see it for a few days. I’ll take some pics when I get it back and post them up.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would love to see someone fabricate the LT exhaust section with a custom decklid that can accommodate it. Or pray McLaren would ever release the LT's parts as upgrades which I doubt they'll do.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I would love to see someone fabricate the LT exhaust section with a custom decklid that can accommodate it. Or pray McLaren would ever release the LT's parts as upgrades which I doubt they'll do.
I inquired dealer.parts.counter would be around 22k. Eeek
There's pics of the tubing online. Just need to fabricate a custom decklid. Or use existing and carve out opening and put some metal surround around the opening.
I really thought about doing with with my V3 design. The main issue for me was that my wing doesn't have the heat shielding that the OEM 600LT wing has. Coming off the stock downpipes, which start to curve downwards before you get to the olive clamp, means you have to do a sort of U-shape, which brings the exhaust out pretty close to the rear, which would melt my AP 67" wing. Fabspeed have a top exit kit but with theirs you need to use their specific downpipe which lets the pipes come out much further up. I actually think the U-shape is a good thing for water ingestion though (if it rained, or washing the car) as it acts as a trap.

To do it properly it would need a much lower wing than mine, and some heat shielding - essentially a 600LT wing - or no wing at all (oem) ;)

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
191 Posts
Was this the car that got rear ended at the rally recently?
Looks like it. I was supposed to be on it as my friend was hosting it, but missed it. Here is a screen grab off the 570S from the video I have though. Sharing pic as it’s obvious this was no fault of his own (or even the car that was directly behind him).

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah, it was mine, and technically wasn't "rear" ended - more of a sideways impact against the wheel. The weirdest incident ever - I was completely stopped in traffic as the entire group came to a complete stop, and there was a corner behind me. Between stopping and the incident, I didn't have much time - maybe 10-15 seconds. The GT3 came around the corner, saw me at the last second, swerved to avoid me while slamming on his brakes. An older 911 Turbo behind him slammed on his brakes, but couldn't slow down enough before he hit the GT3, who then hit just my wheel! He didn't hit my car at all - just the wheel - with the leading edge of his rear passenger side wheel arch (as they flare out at the back on the GT3).

He hit it with enough force though that it broke my control arm, tie rod end, and probably axle - amongst other suspension components. All being repaired at the dealer though. Insurance stuff has been straightforward so far, but likely 4-8 weeks in the shop with all the delays, parts ordering, approvals, etc! :(

I've been doing car drives for decades, and this is the first incident I've ever had on one. Could have been much much worse (if he had not swerved, for example, and plowed directly in to me), so glad that the damage is repairable, and no-one was hurt in any of the cars. None of the cars even deployed airbags.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
586 Posts
OUch. That sucks. Cool exhaust idea. Mesh would be interesting. Waterjet a back plate like 765lt.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OUch. That sucks. Cool exhaust idea. Mesh would be interesting. Waterjet a back plate like 765lt.
Yeah, when I get it back I plan to finalize the work on it - I've decided i'm going to keep it long term, so will be properly finishing it up. I've been running the center exhaust now for about 2 years with no issues, a large number of track days, etc - basically near 20K miles. Had a P1 style (with genuine P1 exhaust tip purchased from McLaren) for a while, and it looked good, but I switched it to the twin pipe again to add some resonators to try to pass Laguna sound (useless experiment - sound limit there is insane!).

I'll finish up the work to get it up to OEM quality, along with a few other things (e.g. I have the front hood cut to the same spec as the 570GT4, including the splitter air entry, and will be adding the center radiator to improve engine cooling).

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Interesting. You can buy the 620r parts from Dave.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts