McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm nearly finished with this design now... Here's how it looks now. My last design used black tips, but now I've switched to dual 4" raw burnt titanium, with black mesh grill:

I've also shortened it to be more cohesive with the rear. Almost all of it (about 80%), including H-pipe section, is in Grade 1 (commercially pure) titanium now, all my own design - which makes it incredibly light. Probably saved 25lbs over the stock, or more (I'll weigh the before and after when I get a chance). The bits that are still stock are the downpipes and a small section of the curved piece from the OEM exhaust (was easier for now than getting pie cuts and trying to redesign those curvy bits). I do plan on doing the entire thing from titanium at some point.

Here's the 3" and 4" raw titanium pipe:

And welding the transition piece:

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's pretty cool. Do you have a straight on shot from behind and with lighting to see how the opening for the pipes look like?

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's pretty cool. Do you have a straight on shot from behind and with lighting to see how the opening for the pipes look like?
Here's a rear pic:

Nice work! I'm curious to hear how it sounds.
It definitely sounds better/louder than stock. For one the exhaust is higher up, so more noticeable. Secondly the transition from 3" to 4" amplifies the sound (about 12" of the pipe is 4" now on each bank). It's louder than stock, but not sure how much louder than the "sports" exhaust it is since I've not heard that one in person. No drone though, and the titanium gives it a bit more of an exotic sound. I'm a numbers person though so at some point I will measure the output in dBA, and compare it to my friends stock exhaust 570s coupe.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so I weighed the stock exhaust without tips MINUS the curvy bits I cut off to reuse and got 22.9lbs. The titanium piece I replaced it with is about 2.8lbs - so saved 20.1lbs over stock.

I probably saved a few more ounces due to the heavier heat shield (I used much more lightweight shielding), and the two triangular tips were quite heavy too - estimate at least 1.5lbs between them - but will measure it (I forgot about those until right now).

Next will do sound measurements...

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What would be cool if someone just made a nice mesh piece that replaces the whole rear panel like how the P1 looks. Then you could have cutouts for the center exhaust with all the engine bits showing through.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What would be cool if someone just made a nice mesh piece that replaces the whole rear panel like how the P1 looks. Then you could have cutouts for the center exhaust with all the engine bits showing through.
You mean like this one? Talk to Hypercars.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I did that here in Germany, the SWAT team would come by helicopter in 5 minutes and pick me up. Germans does not understand any fun and zero tolerance in such things.

Respect and have fun !

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You mean like this one? Talk to Hypercars.

I don’t think they do that for the 570S though... I was definitely thinking of cutting that entire section out and putting a grill in. I might still do it if I can work out a clean surround.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How did this turn out? Got any sound clips?

Hi all,

I'm nearly finished with this design now... Here's how it looks now. My last design used black tips, but now I've switched to dual 4" raw burnt titanium, with black mesh grill:

I've also shortened it to be more cohesive with the rear. Almost all of it (about 80%), including H-pipe section, is in Grade 1 (commercially pure) titanium now, all my own design - which makes it incredibly light. Probably saved 25lbs over the stock, or more (I'll weigh the before and after when I get a chance). The bits that are still stock are the downpipes and a small section of the curved piece from the OEM exhaust (was easier for now than getting pie cuts and trying to redesign those curvy bits). I do plan on doing the entire thing from titanium at some point.

Here's the 3" and 4" raw titanium pipe:

And welding the transition piece:

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A real nice grill could be made if you had a laser cutter. Aluminum or stainless. I have one but tend to leave my cars stock for the most part.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ouch

This looks like you - WTF happened?

Attachments

Reactions: kadzkaan and Spr

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow looks like his design led to a fire in the engine .... at least that what Mclaren and insurance company is gonna say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks a lot worse than it is - all cosmetic outside the engine bay (melted plastic).. After that pic was taken I drove the car around the paddock and even on to the the transport to get home, and then again at home. If work constraints permit I'll have everything cleaned up and I'll be back at Laguna on Friday. The exhaust was a prototype and both heavy duty couplers (from titanium to the OEM pipes since you can only weld titanium to titanium) failed from the vibrations (even with 70ft/lb bolts). This caused the exhaust to move and come in contact with the plastic at high temps.

I'll be in the shop this afternoon fabricating some parts, and have some items coming in overnight. Hopefully don't run in to anything too time consuming.

As an aside, I paid for temporary access to the McLaren online service manual (to speed up removal of some of the body parts) and it worked great - they have a lot of great info on there - step by steps for every single part of the car, very thorough. Was instant access too, which is cool (https://mclarencars.techinfoportal.com/).

Thanks!

Z.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts