McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long ago I lusted after a Carrera GT and gave up my slot for one. I am toying with getting one. A number of you 12c owners had or have driven one. What do you think? Will I be disappointed? My expectation is a super car version of a GT3...

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Long ago I lusted after a Carrera GT and gave up my slot for one. I am toying with getting one. A number of you 12c owners had or have driven one. What do you think? Will I be disappointed? My expectation is a super car version of a GT3...
Check out some of wtdoom's posts, he has put a lot of miles both road and track on his.

The gt is unlike any car I have ever driven, it really for me is a race car disguised as a road car with all that entails down to the chatter of the gearbox at low revs but built to an incredible standard. Porsche's original design brief for the car was to deliver the purest race car experience for the road and they have succeeded in spades there I think. Have not done anything like enough miles to fully get to grips with the car but I would say it is a car that demands a lot of focus from the driver but rewards like no other I have come across.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Been there done that - they hit a low of 250 - 275k add another 50k today.

Some people love em and some people hate em ... too low can't figure out the clutch etc.

Even 95% of the ones who love the CGT don't seem to add many miles.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is surprising there are cars with such low miles available. A couple sold within the last 6-12 months with under 1,000 miles. Hoping I can get one with ~5,000 miles, good rev log, and enough clutch pad left, for under $350K...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I was seriously considering one a couple of years ago before I decided to get a 12C.

I think a CGT is a perfect complinent to a 12C. Just make sure the clutch has plenty of mm left and that the tires are new. It is an absolute monster of a supercar but has Porsche build quality and comfort. I was quite intimidated by it(plethora of horror stories on the net) and basically just did a couple of straight speed runs before I ended the "testdrive".

Couple of issues:
1. The car requires a full service every 4 years so make sure every car you look at has had it done with receipts.;)
2. CF shell means minor front end damage or wheel damage can lead to big bills.

Also if you haven't read it: Evo sept/2013 has a great article on the recent supercars(F40 Vs. F50 Vs. Mclaren F1 Vs. CGT Vs. Zonda Vs. Murci SV Vs. Noble). Their favorites were the F50, CGT and F1. That says alot.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I was seriously considering one a couple of years ago before I decided to get a 12C.

I think a CGT is a perfect complinent to a 12C. Just make sure the clutch has plenty of mm left and that the tires are new. It is an absolute monster of a supercar but has Porsche build quality and comfort. I was quite intimidated by it(plethora of horror stories on the net) and basically just did a couple of straight speed runs before I ended the "testdrive".

Couple of issues:
1. The car requires a full service every 4 years so make sure every car you look at has had it done with receipts.;)
2. CF shell means minor front end damage or wheel damage can lead to big bills.

Also if you haven't read it: Evo sept/2013 has a great article on the recent supercars(F40 Vs. F50 Vs. Mclaren F1 Vs. CGT Vs. Zonda Vs. Murci SV Vs. Noble). Their favorites were the F50, CGT and F1. That says alot.
So why didn't you buy it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm also seriously considering a CGT while I wait for my 12C spider. I've wanted a CGT awhile now but if I buy now, I'd have to sell my GT2. Alternatively thinking of a 16M to enjoy this summer and wait out the CGT for next year. That way I'd stay under my toy budget for the year, keep the GT2, and defer the CGT purchase into 2014.

The thorn in my side is my old RS4.0 that may come back on the market shortly.

16M and 4.0 or just go all for a CGT?

·
Registered
218 Posts
sell the GT2 buy the 4.0 and CGT. forget the 16M

the CGT is a beautiful car, exquisitely made, and probably the last of the true analog/mechanical supercars.

i was really considering one when it was worth around $300K or so. but i just got put off by the projected maintenance costs and the fact that it's not an easy car to drive. it's really a car you collect and drive occasionally that will put a big smile on your face because you know you are in a very special car.

it's so good that i am still tempted from time to time... as many here are, i am sure.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was seriously considering getting a CGT last year, even had one lined up and had the Porsche dealer do a check over. I was this ' ' close to buying it.

The 918 screwed that up. I realized the 918 is a all around better car, faster, more high tech, looks better inside and outside, it's even rarer than the CGT.

I know I am paying more than double the price of a CGT to get a 918, but I know I will also be more than double happy to be a 918 owner than a CGT owner. To me the CGT is too ancient, and the wooden shift knob just kills the car. Like wearing tuxedo with flip flops.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I'm also seriously considering a CGT while I wait for my 12C spider. I've wanted a CGT awhile now but if I buy now, I'd have to sell my GT2. Alternatively thinking of a 16M to enjoy this summer and wait out the CGT for next year. That way I'd stay under my toy budget for the year, keep the GT2, and defer the CGT purchase into 2014.

The 16M and the CGT were very close in price - went with the 16M and will never swap it for a CGT. I would put the 16M on the same level as a 4.0 til the top goes down :)

5000 miles later it's one of the greatest machines IMO to leave Maranello

Let's hope Rusell sees this!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought my CGT 2 1/2 years ago, 975 miles. All paperwork including full luggage set. Currently have 2100 miles on it. It is an outstanding, raw super car. Don't worry about the clutch, 1/2 day and you will be used to it. Sound will blow your mind, especially as the revs build. High sill, drop in just like the Mac. More interior room than the Mac. Funny thing, CGT steering wheel looks like it is out of a UPS truck as compared to the Mac. Mac is quicker, easier to drive, better balanced and handles better, as it should. Porsche has better brakes. Porsche build quality is great, so is the Mac. Maintenance on the CGT will be high and parts tougher to get should they be needed. Not sure which car gives me a bigger smile when I step out. Mac is friendlier, easier to drive but I have no intention of selling the CGT. Too much of a classic.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

There is a very nice looking CGT at the Mac Phili dealer. Better still, it looked like it already had the Michelins on it.

Don't recall the mileage (maybe 5k), and sticker might have been 350ish--going from memory so don't hold me to it.

Beautiful beautiful car.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was seriously considering getting a CGT last year, even had one lined up and had the Porsche dealer do a check over. I was this ' ' close to buying it.

The 918 screwed that up. I realized the 918 is a all around better car, faster, more high tech, looks better inside and outside, it's even rarer than the CGT.

I know I am paying more than double the price of a CGT to get a 918, but I know I will also be more than double happy to be a 918 owner than a CGT owner. To me the CGT is too ancient, and the wooden shift knob just kills the car. Like wearing tuxedo with flip flops.
I was considering a 918. My worry is the battery complexity. I think 5 years from now the battery technology in current cars (918, p1, LaF, etc) will be like a PC xt to an iPhone. From a technology point of view, better to be a laggard. 918 is very nice regardless.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was considering a 918. My worry is the battery complexity. I think 5 years from now the battery technology in current cars (918, p1, LaF, etc) will be like a PC xt to an iPhone. From a technology point of view, better to be a laggard. 918 is very nice regardless.

That worry crosses my mind too. But seeing how the P1 and 918 packaged their hybrid components as modules, especially the battery pack, I don't really fear that anymore.

If the manufacturer chooses to, they can bring out a better battery pack that will be a drop in replacement for the existing one without much trouble. Plus, since the cars are controlled by a computer, support for a newer type of battery or newer type of motor is only a firmware update away. Beauty of the electronic era.

I see the hybrid revolution like fuel injection replacing the carburetor. Back then, car guys FEAR the fuel injection system despite the benefits it brings, they feared the unknown, as they are used to the carburetor and can 'tune' it themselves. They fear the complexity of the 'complicated' new technology like some modern people fear the hybrid system.

20 years from now, batteries will still be with us, so I have no fear of running out of propulsion power, same cannot be said of old classic cars that runs leaded gasoline.

As for the obsolete part, when the 918 becomes the XT, it will still be one of Porsche's classics. The Jaguar E-type is a dinosaur too compared with modern cars, yet it is still consider a great classic car by any manufacturers. Hell even the Carrera GT with the dated interior still command presence whenever one sees one and is tempting enough for quite a few people to consider buying it, myself included.

I see you have a G63 on order. I have one and it's the WORSE driving experience ever, non stop bouncing, gigantic body leans on the slightest turn of the steering wheel, a heavy, slow, disconnect steering. It can only do straight line drags and it will stop a block away from where you want it to stop. It drinks gasoline like there is no tomorrow. But I LOVED it. My wife love it even more and confiscated the car to be her daily driver. Mine has just over 2000km on it and I have only driven about 400km of that.

·
Administrator
2,696 Posts
The 16M and the CGT were very close in price - went with the 16M and will never swap it for a CGT. I would put the 16M on the same level as a 4.0 til the top goes down :)

5000 miles later it's one of the greatest machines IMO to leave Maranello

Let's hope Rusell sees this!
16M or a CGT, which will be considered more of a collectable classic in 5-10 years? Personally find both hugely appealing.

·
Administrator
2,696 Posts

Or if you want something even more exotic:

This is up for sale in Geneva:

http://www.carugati.ch/news-online/20130719_97298557.html

Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR
09 / 2000 - 2'900 Km

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with all your points (including the G63... Heck one of my favorite vehicles is my Ford F350 pickup truck!). While I am an early adopter by nature, having been in the tech business has made me more of a laggard :D

I am sure the flagship cars like P1, 918, LaF will get the engineering attention they deserve but software seems not to be car company's strongest capability (or most companies for that matter, including software companies). Numerous examples of this as all of us know! Iris anyone? :)

That worry crosses my mind too. But seeing how the P1 and 918 packaged their hybrid components as modules, especially the battery pack, I don't really fear that anymore.

If the manufacturer chooses to, they can bring out a better battery pack that will be a drop in replacement for the existing one without much trouble. Plus, since the cars are controlled by a computer, support for a newer type of battery or newer type of motor is only a firmware update away. Beauty of the electronic era.

I see the hybrid revolution like fuel injection replacing the carburetor. Back then, car guys FEAR the fuel injection system despite the benefits it brings, they feared the unknown, as they are used to the carburetor and can 'tune' it themselves. They fear the complexity of the 'complicated' new technology like some modern people fear the hybrid system.

20 years from now, batteries will still be with us, so I have no fear of running out of propulsion power, same cannot be said of old classic cars that runs leaded gasoline.

As for the obsolete part, when the 918 becomes the XT, it will still be one of Porsche's classics. The Jaguar E-type is a dinosaur too compared with modern cars, yet it is still consider a great classic car by any manufacturers. Hell even the Carrera GT with the dated interior still command presence whenever one sees one and is tempting enough for quite a few people to consider buying it, myself included.

I see you have a G63 on order. I have one and it's the WORSE driving experience ever, non stop bouncing, gigantic body leans on the slightest turn of the steering wheel, a heavy, slow, disconnect steering. It can only do straight line drags and it will stop a block away from where you want it to stop. It drinks gasoline like there is no tomorrow. But I LOVED it. My wife love it even more and confiscated the car to be her daily driver. Mine has just over 2000km on it and I have only driven about 400km of that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts