McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I'm a newbie here, very close to pulling the trigger on a 2012 12C coupe. There's an outside chance I may just buy another CGT. I had one and really enjoyed it, but regretted that the CGT is such a difficult car to use. The 12C seems almost practical by comparison, as outlandish as that sounds.

Anyhow, I noticed several members here have both. I'd love to hear their thoughts on the differences between the two.... what they like better, what they don't like, etc.

My other benchmark for the sake of comparison is that I had a Scuderia, which I thought was a fabulous car.

Any and all input appreciated. Best regards to all.

Rob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The 12C IS practicle. There is nothing "almost" about it. :)

You should at least see if you can go test one, or maybe go to a track event where some 12Cs are and ask the friendly owner (yes, we are all friendly!) for a passenger ride so you see what the car feels like.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The doors (entry/egress) are an issue, and if you are under 6 feet tall you may not notice. You need strong legs and a flexible spine. Well the start up is too quiet for some but undoubtedly too loud for any neighbors early in the morning. Easy to drag the nose even with lift option. But yes awesome "AND" car, practical, I use mine for a grocery getter, work, family events, everything.

To be honest nothing was ever close to as practical as my 997 turbo tiptronic, but that had drawbacks of course. I admit to being strongly anti-porsche after dealings with PCNA and some bad luck.

I thought a recent forum comparison of the CGT to a 911 GT3 was wildly contrived. Good to see the 12C is now in the running ;)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Gents,

I'm a newbie here, very close to pulling the trigger on a 2012 12C coupe. There's an outside chance I may just buy another CGT. I had one and really enjoyed it, but regretted that the CGT is such a difficult car to use. The 12C seems almost practical by comparison, as outlandish as that sounds.

Anyhow, I noticed several members here have both. I'd love to hear their thoughts on the differences between the two.... what they like better, what they don't like, etc.

My other benchmark for the sake of comparison is that I had a Scuderia, which I thought was a fabulous car.

Any and all input appreciated. Best regards to all.

Rob
I almost bought a CGT - went with a 16M.

Again almost bought a CGT added the MP4.

The CGT is a very cool car but IMO it's very unusable.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Oh lord! where is the mighty defender of the CGT when we need him!:D

The CGT and the 12C are almost polar opposites when it comes to the supercar experience. The 12C is a great DD, road trip car, weekend getaway car. The suspension in comfort mode is great when u want to drive long distance. It has plenty of trunk space and is capable and surprisingly easy to push at the track(Too easy actually for some people). Maintenance costs are low for such a great car. The big issues so far have been initial production run issues and resale.

The CGT is completely opposite of that. Raw, screaming NA motor with "proper" 3 pedal manual. There is No trunk space and it really is meant for wknd drives at 3-5/th. Beyond that can get dicey since it is "tail happy". Maintenance costs are high, but resale is excellent so it's a break even situation.

I was very close to buying a CGT in 2011 when I decided to go with the McLaren. After doing an extensive evaluation I concluded that if I got a CGT it would become a garage queen while the 12C would be used on a regular basis.

I still love the CGT and think its a great "investment" But then you can't drive it much. I wanted a car that could do everything including being used at the track!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
OP, look for past posts by wtdoom and Goplay for some thoughts on the 2.

On my part, despite the very similar paper numbers, the 2 cars could not be more different in many respects. The 12c is an extraordinarily capable road car, comfortable and very usable and yet you could turn it to mental mode at the flip of a few switches and have an absolute blast. The cgt is a race car disguised as a road car with all that entails and is all the better for staying true to it's origin as a proposed le mans racer. The engagement and intensity of driving experience is on a different level to any other car i have personally experienced. One could probably make a good case for getting both to be honest.

I really like the 12c but there is no question which one i would keep if I had to choose between the 2.

·
Registered
691 Posts
CGTs are amazing cars. Just don't expect your clutch to survive much stop/go commuting. Easily one of the top-five best sounding cars on the planet. Not sure any other car comes as close to an F1 sound.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys. I bought a 12C for a client of mine a month ago and I have driven it three times since - enough to pretty much fall in love with it.

My game plan is to get a 12C ASAP. I have an old Ferrari in my garage that is steadily appreciating and in fact approaching CGT money. As soon as the values cross, I will say adios Ferrari, welcome back CGT!!!

Sounds like a plan to me at least!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts