McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Owner
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently it is a process similar (but better) to wrapping, which gives a carbon fibre effect. A guy on pistohead has covered his whole engine with the stuff, even the diffuser. Seems to be durable and able to deal with the heat.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had the lower grill bars and splitter done on mine, I created a thread about it on here, will try and find it.

I was very pleased with the results, its much better than wrapping and is durable with a strong top coat/lacquer. Guy in Kent did it, will find details. A friend of mine has his own wrapping business and he wouldn't let me have them wrapped as he felt it wouldn't befit the car.

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing the process, quite impressive but has to be done with care when several pieces are to be joined to continue the pattern, as it were.

I actually wanted more pieces done (rear deck and engine panels) but they were going to be a bugger to remove.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Looking at the pics it is an excellent result. Very impressive. Expensive ?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Looking at the pics it is an excellent result. Very impressive. Expensive ?
No, think it was £250 for the whole lot Kevin, he had the pieces for a week as is a real perfectionist.
The biggest problem was getting the grill bars off, that's another story.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
No, think it was £250 for the whole lot Kevin, he had the pieces for a week as is a real perfectionist.
The biggest problem was getting the grill bars off, that's another story.
Should have had a closer look in the summer.. short of the mso bumper it's an excellent improvement and somewhat more cost effective ! .

Edit.. sadly had to change summer from the auto corrected submersible, and whilst I know you chaps would have found should have had a closer look in the submersible amusing am not sure it would quite have got my point across...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Should have had a closer look in the summer.. short of the mso bumper it's an excellent improvement and somewhat more cost effective ! .

Edit.. sadly had to change summer from the auto corrected submersible, and whilst I know you chaps would have found should have had a closer look in the submersible amusing am not sure it would quite have got my point across...
You got me there Mikey,my word brain is not working today,not that it does normally anyway,completely lost,your playing me ???
Will change my name to confused of Yorkshire .........

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Would that work for a whole car ? :cool:
It would have to be a bloody big Vat Martin,and you would have to make sure the electrics were well waterproofed,but it could work ,especially if you've had new door seals ;)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
You got me there Mikey,my word brain is not working today,not that it does normally anyway,completely lost,your playing me ???
Will change my name to confused of Yorkshire .........

Like they say.. if you have to explain it, it ain't funny!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Ha!
Given the nature of carbon dipping, would have been quite relevant Mike..

See you next submersible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts