McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
We too will almost certainly have a spider when the P1 arrives boxer... I wonder if the 12c will become the must have car in anyone's garage as it is so everyday useable as you say.., am interested about the comments about the fuel tank... I find that at a steady 85 mph 300 miles on a tank is possible... Above that yes 250 becomes more of a challenge. I am not sure id want to carry more weight around .. And indeed on track it tells you to have a rest at reasonable intervals. Totally agree about the paddles. Bit extreme to have to upgrade to P1 to get them as standard heh!

·
Administrator
2,745 Posts
We too will almost certainly have a spider when the P1 arrives boxer... I wonder if the 12c will become the must have car in anyone's garage as it is so everyday useable as you say.., am interested about the comments about the fuel tank... I find that at a steady 85 mph 300 miles on a tank is possible... Above that yes 250 becomes more of a challenge. I am not sure id want to carry more weight around .. And indeed on track it tells you to have a rest at reasonable intervals. Totally agree about the paddles. Bit extreme to have to upgrade to P1 to get them as standard heh!
If you buy a P1, think they might throw in a set of P1 paddles for your 12C?

Agree on the added weight for the extra fuel but a cruising range of 350-400 miles would be nice for those longer cross continental trips.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Agree with you boxer. I think 350+ is a sweet spot for range. That way with "reserve" you can roam about 300 miles. I think you'd need about 3 more gallons of capacity. You're talking 18.6lbs more for 3 gallons of gas. Maybe 2lbs for the extra space in the tank. So really, about 20lbs to get you there.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Would agree on the fuel tank, a bit more would be nice - just about every other comparable car has a 90litre tank vs 72 (i think) on the 12c. While the 12c is very good on the motorway, when pressing on a bit it goes through the tank very quickly indeed. The paddles though never really were an issue for me I have to admit., if they were fixed like on a Ferrari, longer paddles would make sense but the standard ones are quite ok I find. Plus I think I am probably in a minority of one here but interior carbon fibre when not part of the car monocoque itself has never really appealed...

·
Registered
156 Posts
My old SLS had a 100 liter tank. I feel like I am fueling up twice as much with the 12c.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fuel tank capacity is quite annoying on the track.
In the Miami-Homestead track the car uses 1/2 of a tank per each 30 minute session.
This means that I have to go and fill the tank at the end of each session or risk running out of gas at the end of every other session, plus I have to drive 3 miles out to go to the gas station since the track pump just have 100 octane or higher fuel at $8.00 per gallon.
Can I use 100 or 110 Octane gas ?
I really miss the Lambo 24 gallon tank ... Somehow it could last me for three sessions !
... But I like that I've been able to lower 5 seconds of my time on the track too ;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I find the petrol gauge very conservative and rarely get above 55 litres in after running on empty (72 litre tank?). Best was 60 litres after running on empty for 50 miles or so.

McDc went to the petrol station 7 times at the Nurburgring so he definitely would vote for a larger tank so if it was 100 litres he would visit 5 times per track day!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts