McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
They are available in carbon from MSO.

On a previous price list that was floating around I believe it was listed as 'Carbon Fibre Rear Deck Vent' and priced at $4,080.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
They are available in carbon from MSO.

On a previous price list that was floating around I believe it was listed as 'Carbon Fibre Rear Deck Vent' and priced at $4,080.

>8^)
ER
You know I think I'm going to have to move the US of A. The pricing up here is ridiculous that same part MSO-E006 is $6k plus 13% taxes and that's not even installed. The CF engine cover vents MSO-E005 are an astounding $12k. I do not know why we Canadians always have to pay so much more for everything. Oh yes I know why its due to our great health care system. Yeeeee haaaaa. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Not recommended due to the heat.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Not recommended due to the heat.
Markjayw you are partially correct in your above noted statement, and I only say this because of recent events. According to a appended clause which was affixed to the bottom of a price list received from my dealership it clearly states "Sustained hard driving may cause discolouration". So I guess who ever decides to purchase this item better make sure they do not drive to hard for to long. So whats the point of making a part if it cannot hold up to the extreme elements. Why not use a superior resin that can withstand high temps???? Cheers....??

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
You just need to cover the underside with gold foil, the same way they protected the carbon surfaces on the McLaren F1.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You just need to cover the underside with gold foil, the same way they protected the carbon surfaces on the McLaren F1.

>8^)
ER
Oh well there goes my wife's gold jewelry, that's a hell of an expensive way Peloton25 to over come the problem. Highly unlikely that I'm or should I say my wife is going to forfeit her jewelry. Lol...... Thanks for the truly expensive alternative to the solution. Cheers....??

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Oh by the way Peloton25 love the car and the picture, thanks for sharing that we me / us. That's what I call eye candy / jewelry. Cheers....??

·
Registered
560 Posts
fikse we have a guy in SOFL that makes all 3 louvered pieces around engine compartment in CF.
they actually go over the plastic but they look great!
ill find the pics

mods: can you change fikse status to owner?

·
C A R B O N
345 Posts
Our pyrometer reads in the range of 380-420 degres after an hours drive and idling to heat soak the vent area. We are in the process or developing a full carbon fiber rear vent panel as well as covers for the side glass vent panels for one of our clients for resale. For the rear exhaust vent. We will be using a resin developed for high temp applications to 600 degrees 3k CF twill. Additionally we will apply heat protective material to the underside of the part that has radiant protection of 2000 degrees.

The issue with the component cover will be adhesion to the base factory parts. Most 3M type adhesive tapes will start to loose adhesion over 300 degrees and can come off with a quick yank. Also with the cover if they are using a standard pre-peg and or resin. It is a matter of time before the items starts to discolor/yellow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have this part on mine (the armadillo). It's "perfectly fine" if you don't mind the resin getting a lovely gold sheen after driving for a while. I'll try and get a pic if the sun comes out today.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have CF engine cover. As mentioned, it gets a slight "gold" or bronze tint to it. That's the only effect after 3000 miles of reasonable driving (generally higher revs at highway speeds, therefore hotter conditions that tooling around in auto)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got the MSO Carbon Rear Deck Vents ordered on my UK Spider but no appended clause on my quote or order docs. Nothing verbal from the dealer either. Perhaps they don't bother here due to the arctic weather we now seem to enjoy...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Got the MSO Carbon Rear Deck Vents ordered on my UK Spider but no appended clause on my quote or order docs. Nothing verbal from the dealer either. Perhaps they don't bother here due to the arctic weather we now seem to enjoy...
Pete it could be due to the possibility that they may have changed the resins they're currently using. The clause that I mentioned was on a pricing document and not on any bill of sale. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Carbon Fiber

For what it is worth, the carbon fiber engine cradle in my Carrera GT has yellowed a bit. They use a special resin there versus other parts of the car. It still looks just fine. The nature of the beast I guess. I did not order the carbon vents on my not yet built Spider but look into something afterwards, from McLaren or another supplier. On the option form, there was a warning footnote.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
For what it is worth, the carbon fiber engine cradle in my Carrera GT has yellowed a bit. They use a special resin there versus other parts of the car. It still looks just fine. The nature of the beast I guess. I did not order the carbon vents on my not yet built Spider but look into something afterwards, from McLaren or another supplier. On the option form, there was a warning footnote.
I knew I wasn't hallucinating about the whole warning, I was starting to worry there thanks MikeSCT for the backup. Cheers....??

·
Registered
147 Posts
The flash from my camera *SERIOUSLY* over-accentuates the gold/bronzing of the resin, but this gives you an idea of how it looks. I think it's actually quite beautiful in the sunlight. Also, I can't upload an image larger than 2M, and my camera is 18MP and I'm too lazy to downsize it. I've hosted it on my personal server for now, I'll leave it up for a few weeks, but I'll edit this to remove the link when I take it down.

EDIT: Server crash killed the picture, URL is dead
https://www.roadskysnow.com/DSC00149.JPG

·
Registered
83 Posts
armadillo removal

could anyone please advise how to unlock the rear panel to expose the armadillo for removal - I understand one would have to remove the air brake but how do you get under the rear deck lid after having opened the engine cover - appreciated and happy holidays - I have bough an armadillo in carbon and will post fitment pics if I can get it down this weekend THX

1 - 20 of 72 Posts