McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed Martin had his car set with aero and sport/track and it occurred to me I have never used aero settings ( always forget) and wondered if you could feel the aero working?

When I went on the sighting lap, following Martin, my car would not respond and thought it was duff petrol until I hit the 'go go' button and became Active in Sport/Sport........bloody hopeless when your in your late sixties as you can remember your first (second and third) girlfriend but forget where the Active button is!!!

Anyway I wondered what setting you all used? (Can't say I noticed other aero users?)

So for me....

non-aero
Sport/Sport
foot on the brake

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I was sport track in the morning, with aero, track track in the afternoon with aero
for me the biggest difference is track handling, altbough you can feel the aero a little bit... rear is a smidge more stable...

track gives you feel in the steering and suspension like the best there is. (i.e. like a McLaren, hahha)... you have to be a bit careful with the throttle, but not excessively so.... just avoid stamping and all is okay.... I did tend to reach for sport mode at the beginning of dottinger hohe though as it's quicker than track mode down the straight which is just a smidge bumpy in track mode

the other thing I think that makes a difference is the mso bumper perhaps.... having had mcdc's video on repeat since it was put out, I think there might be a small improvement with the better front end... I asked them about it and they confirmed there is more downforce with it, but not the 100kg I think that was put up... clearly that would turn the car into an oversteering nightmare...

hope to have my video posted in the next day, even though not too exciting!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Ric,late 60,s :eek: I had thought you were younger than Robbie,he must have had a hard life!!!
McDc did say it was best in sport/track as its too bumpy in places,no wonder you lost us on the sighting lap if you were in N/N auto,but not having it in Aero was what really slowed you down ;) You really shouldn't have let Sabine Smitt pass you in that Icecream Van,although it was good of her to serve me as she passed you :D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I was sport track in the morning, with aero, track track in the afternoon with aero
for me the biggest difference is track handling, altbough you can feel the aero a little bit... rear is a smidge more stable...

track gives you feel in the steering and suspension like the best there is. (i.e. like a McLaren, hahha)... you have to be a bit careful with the throttle, but not excessively so.... just avoid stamping and all is okay.... I did tend to reach for sport mode at the beginning of dottinger hohe though as it's quicker than track mode down the straight which is just a smidge bumpy in track mode

the other thing I think that makes a difference is the mso bumper perhaps.... having had mcdc's video on repeat since it was put out, I think there might be a small improvement with the better front end... I asked them about it and they confirmed there is more downforce with it, but not the 100kg I think that was put up... clearly that would turn the car into an oversteering nightmare...

hope to have my video posted in the next day, even though not too exciting!
Agreed on track handling, the car comes alive a lot more I think than just staying on sport when one can really push hard. Given how bumpy the ring is though I would have thought perhaps sport might be the better compromise especially at some points.

Can't honestly say i notice the aero but all the mclaren gt instructors always flip that one on so am happy to take their word it does do something for the car....Interesting you think the mso bumper does make a difference as well.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I think for some bumpy parts of the Ring Sport/Track is best and for others Track/Track would be. Overall I would still suggest Sport/Track but of course it's always a compromise.

Aero is clearly a must as it gives more downforce and all you - theoretically - loose is a bit of speed at Schwedenkreuz, Kesselchen and Doettinger Hoehe which does not make any significant difference to the lap time.

Not so sure about the MSO bumper. It surely generates more downforce (20-30 Kg ?) but I would guess it is hardly noticable to any non-pro driver.

My major problem and concern are the brakes. I'v gone through a full set of pads on that day with only 30 laps, that's double the pad wear of a gt3. The stock pads are great for street and slight track use but if you really hammer it, they are melting like swiss chocolate.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ric,late 60,s :eek: I had thought you were younger than Robbie,he must have had a hard life!!!
McDc did say it was best in sport/track as its too bumpy in places,no wonder you lost us on the sighting lap if you were in N/N auto,but not having it in Aero was what really slowed you down ;) You really shouldn't have let Sabine Smitt pass you in that Icecream Van,although it was good of her to serve me as she passed you :D
Andy my FRIEND i have had a hard life ive had to keep OUT of ( Parkhurst,Brixton,Strangeways, ) RIC thinks he is late 60's but the Girls look at him late 30's :D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Andy my FRIEND i have had a hard life ive had to keep OUT of ( Parkhurst,Brixton,Strangeways, ) RIC thinks he is late 60's but the Girls look at him late 30's :D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p
He is of course the most charming male on the planet so not surprising heh robbie!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to know that in 1966 I had a night shift job at a M1 petrol station to fund my way through College.

John Lennon pulled in at 3.00 am in a Mercedes 600 Pullman, slid the window down and asked me 'to fill 'er up mate 'wack'. He had a very attractive Bird next to him.

I walked around the car and could not find the filler cap......knock, knock on the drivers window, 'Mr Lennon, can't find the filler Sir'......' wack, it's behind the number plate which hinges down, 'wack.'

He paid in cash and the tip was so BIG that I managed a deposit on a second hand Morris Minor.

Good guy was my mate John.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is of course the most charming male on the planet so not surprising heh robbie!
Charm and cleverness like what Robbie and I have has enduring and endless appeal to the fairer sex..........I know Robbies printing press helps but his dapper dress sense scores as well.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
My major problem and concern are the brakes. I'v gone through a full set of pads on that day with only 30 laps, that's double the pad wear of a gt3. The stock pads are great for street and slight track use but if you really hammer it, they are melting like swiss chocolate.
:eek: you managed to do 30 laps in a single day?! wow... (how many times did you have to refuel. :D..)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6 or 7 times don't exactly remember. But the car is eating pads... :rolleyes:
Well, the girl at the petrol station said you had called in every 45 miniutes. She wondered if you had a soft spot for her:D

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
You think the discs might be the problem McDc.. I.e a bit out of true now and therefore wearing the pads quicker?
Nope, I have had new front discs.

so do you have any pad replacement options?
I'd love to try out pagid yellow (RS19/29) as I am sure they would last at least double but this would affect warranty. I was even encouraged by the McLaren tech on site to do so. But as long as my car has other problems, I won't do anything that could possibly void the warranty.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Nope, I have had new front discs.

I'd love to try out pagid yellow (RS19/29) as I am sure they would last at least double but this would affect warranty. I was even encouraged by the McLaren tech on site to do so. But as long as my car has other problems, I won't do anything that could possibly void the warranty.
Martin,do the pagid pads then wear out the rotors more quickly? therefore cancelling out any saving??

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Martin,do the pagid pads then wear out the rotors more quickly? therefore cancelling out any saving??
Yes, but only slightly. They are just more robust, can take the heat better but of course they are squealing. The 12C would sound like a train, but any proper sports car does that :D

Overall the cost saving would be significant. And beside the cost, having pads lasting at least two or three trackdays can save you a lot of hassle if you don't have the time and/or gear to change them on site.

McLaren should really offer a pad alternative for the track affinados :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts