McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I ordered a new battery from the dealer, mine was broken, I need to move my car before the new battery arrives , can’t I install a regular Lead Acid battery without damaging my car? Thanks your your advise! I

·
Registered
227 Posts
12 volts is 12 volts. Wether it comes from a lithium battery or lead acid battery. I believe the stickler comes from how the car perceives and charges the lithium battery. If you could get a lead acid battery to mimic a lithium battery then the car wouldn't know the difference. I suspect it won't be long before someone figures it out and makes a ton of money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, some of the issues I can think of are the charge controller and any digital signature the lithium battery transmits.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything concrete.

If not lead-acid, are there aftermarket batteries that can be used?

Can these batteries be remanufactured with commercially available cells?

Lots of questions :)

·
Recent Convert
836 Posts
The Li-on battery is actually encased in a housing that is the same as a normal lead acid battery.
The issue is that the housing also has a battery management module in it.
It's this module that talks to all the others and controls what power they get.
When (not if) it thinks the voltage is low it start messing with all the other modules limiting their functions (ie a spider will crack the roof and drop the windows 10mm if it thinks the battery is going flat whilst running)
So replacing with a lead acid battery would remove this and its control of all the other modules :(

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Hi Everyone, I ordered a new battery from the dealer, mine was broken, I need to move my car before the new battery arrives , can’t I install a regular Lead Acid battery without damaging my car? Thanks your your advise! I
Yes, some of the issues I can think of are the charge controller and any digital signature the lithium battery transmits.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything concrete.

If not lead-acid, are there aftermarket batteries that can be used?

Can these batteries be remanufactured with commercially available cells?

Lots of questions :)
Suggest you PM @XPRD he has batteries

Also this thread from @ima2nr contains info on battery repair
https://www.mclarenlife.com/threads/diy-a123-systems-lithium-ion-battery-repair.67434/
"Your 12C will run a standard lead acid battery! (The owners manual even says you can do so in an emergency).

Things I learned running on a lead acid battery:

1) 100.00 at the auto parts store and your back on the road again!
2) lead acid battery's are HEAVY!
3) You will lose some functionality
4) The battery meter will always read "zero" and the car will play it safe and will not allow you to roll your windows all the way up that last 1/4 of an inch. I'm sure this is so you can still open the doors if the battery really was "zero", but it is annoying none the less.
5) Just when you think your windows are destined to be slightly cracked forever, after about 15 minutes they suddenly rolled themselves all the way up! Don't get too excited, the whole process starts over when you restart the car.
6) The car does not trust me anymore. If I put it in reverse with out my seat belt on, the parking brake will reengage itself. This makes you stop. Unexpectedly. After you are already moving.
7) My park sensor/side mirrors switch flashes red at low speeds, and give a long beep when I reverse. Not sure why?
8) I feel disadvantaged knowing I have 35+ extra pounds up front now. I can't wait to get back to normal with my super expensive Lithium Ion battery."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
XPRD
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing