McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted my nearest McLaren dealer (80 miles away) and they told me an alignment is $740 + tax and it takes 4 hrs to do. This seems excessive in so many ways. This asks the question, can any alignment shop do an alignment on these cars? I know my E55 AMG can only be done at the dealership because nobody else has a clue how to do it (I tried 3 shops), but I also know the data for specifications have to be available.

·
Sponsor
694 Posts
Yes, anyone can. Not rocket science. If that shop had a newer alignment machine, then their rep (i.e. Hunter) can provide alignment specs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, anyone can. Not rocket science. If that shop had a newer alignment machine, then their rep (i.e. Hunter) can provide alignment specs.
Then the quest to find a local shop that isn't inept begins..... I'm almost thinking the Audi dealer probably has their stuff together. My brother works at a Kia dealer but there is no way that car is ever going to a Kia dealer, no matter the equipment they have.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Any one can donl it with the right kit but it needs the rear under trays removing to adjust the rear, hence the labour.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any one can donl it with the right kit but it needs the rear under trays removing to adjust the rear, hence the labour.
I can't see it taking 4 hrs to do, the trays take no time to get out so that doesn't explain much of the labor. But, this is the response I got from the Audi dealer.

I spoke with my service manager and unfortunately since a McLaren is a high performance specialty car we are not able to do any type of work on them. They would require special tools and manuals that we don't have. For instance when we do an alignment on an R8 we have to order a special kit that is a single use kit. We are able to get those kits from Audi but unfortunately we do not have access for other makes and models.
I can't imagine any "special tools" are needed, I think it's more they don't know how so they don't want to.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The extra time has to do with setting the camber. Toe is Toe after removing the trays.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Look around to see if you can find any shops that deal with autocross or track cars. I had a local Tire Pro's shop do mine, but they are used by all of the local autocross community. They had no issues with doing the alignment, they also installed my lowering springs for me.

I'm sure I could've also talked our local Porsche Indy repair shop to do it as well. Might check to see if you have any Indy British or Porsche repairs places locally.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look around to see if you can find any shops that deal with autocross or track cars. I had a local Tire Pro's shop do mine, but they are used by all of the local autocross community. They had no issues with doing the alignment, they also installed my lowering springs for me.

I'm sure I could've also talked our local Porsche Indy repair shop to do it as well. Might check to see if you have any Indy British or Porsche repairs places locally.
Most of our "track cars" here are 1/8 mile drag or circle track cars, there are very few exotics within a 60 mile radius and places won't even think about touching them in most cases. Hell the few I've talked to were scared to touch my Mercedes, then none of them were capable of doing it except the Mercedes dealer. I wouldn't be shocked if many places had never heard of McLaren. Most independent shops here don't do alignments, or if they do it's your typical stuff that would be rusted out and off the road in northern parts of the country.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you will need shims. Removing the panels.... The process does take around 3-4 hours to do it correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shims are not required for a stock alignment. But, you can use them to get extra negative camber if that's what you're after.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know what you are referring to, but many owners still add negative camber to their cars for track days. Adding shims won't achieve the amount of camber that you are referring to.

On a side note, if I am not mistaken you used to be very involved in the wakeboarding community?

·
Registered
5 Posts
that is actually completely false. shims are not used in any way for any adjustments. :)
If you do enough lower mclaren .. shims are needed. Factory settings consist of front and rear toes. I hope whoever you did alignment for they get what paid for!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts