McLaren Life banner
281 - 300 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
303 Posts
Seeing them ‘everywhere’ is a testament to how good they are at a reasonable price point.
I’m sure the base will be under $100k...probably $90k...with options pushing it to $130k ‘decked out.’ Certainly in this economy there will be ADM’s and 1-3 year waits...

Perhaps Bugatti owners buy them because they are tired of seeing too many McLarens on the road. And maybe Ferrari 250GTO owners buy them because Bugatti’s are just so ‘common.’

I say congrats to GM for providing what is likely a world class car at 1/2 the price of anything close to it. Except for the rear...I think the car looks fantastic...sounds fantastic and likely performs just as well...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Seeing them ‘everywhere’ is a testament to how good they are at a reasonable price point.
I’m sure the base will be under $100k...probably $90k...with options pushing it to $130k ‘decked out.’ Certainly in this economy there will be ADM’s and 1-3 year waits...

Perhaps Bugatti owners buy them because they are tired of seeing too many McLarens on the road. And maybe Ferrari 250GTO owners buy them because Bugatti’s are just so ‘common.’

I say congrats to GM for providing what is likely a world class car at 1/2 the price of anything close to it. Except for the rear...I think the car looks fantastic...sounds fantastic and likely performs just as well...
Yes and no. If you live in metro Detroit, you see corvettes everywhere, no matter what model. So I'm sure it's good, especially for the money, but I wouldn't spend $90k on a sport car that's a dime a dozen and general owned by a kind of annoying demographic.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I agree, but at this point, that's about the only reason left not to choose one over a European exotic.
Corvette Z0x has been objectively better than most exotics for a while now. Since what, 2006?

C8 looks good front then distance, but looks like a toy hot wheels car up close IMO. Just not my taste. I'm not big on track versions either. Too messy. No need for aggressive aero stuff on a road car IMO.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
303 Posts
Yes and no. If you live in metro Detroit, you see corvettes everywhere, no matter what model. So I'm sure it's good, especially for the money, but I wouldn't spend $90k on a sport car that's a dime a dozen and general owned by a kind of annoying demographic.
So image/exclusivity is your #1 objective when purchasing a car...ok🙄 To each their own...I enjoy actually driving my cars.

While exclusivity is nice...it comes at a price. $100k for what the C8Z offers is a steal. Hence its popularity.

Everything in life is relative. Just curious...what’s in your garage??

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
So image/exclusivity is your #1 objective when purchasing a car...ok🙄 To each their own...I enjoy actually driving my cars.

While exclusivity is nice...it comes at a price. $100k for what the C8Z offers is a steal. Hence its popularity.

Everything in life is relative. Just curious...what’s in your garage??
It has little to do with exclusivity in a "I have it, you don't" way, it's more like architecture or interior design. Do you really want to have the same house as 100 other people in your neighborhood, or do you want something that looks unique when you pull up your driveway and sit down to relax? Same could be said for many things in life. Variety is very important to me.

When it comes to cars, especially if I'm going to spend $100K on a sports car, I'd simply rather have something much less common, especially when all cars are "good enough" these days, assuming I can afford it. Like you said, it has a price that has to be weighed. I doubt most C8 buyers can swing a Huracan, but I think they would if they could.

At the moment I own nothing at all. Just been renting random stuff as I travel around. Will have something new next week for the next month :) Just depends what they give me. I had a small manual VW-something (Golf maybe?) in Spain for a month recently and it was arguably more fun than any exotic I've driven in recent years. My friend didn't understand why I insisted on asking for a manual at the rental desk LOL. Really made me question if I'd want to buy a new exotic with paddles. Maybe something like an old FGT, but I'm not really sure I'd be happy with paddles anymore.

Only other option is a manual GT3, but I've never been crazy about 911 design and interior. I'd kill for a manual GT3 with a 720S body though hah

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I never thought I'd prefer paddles either, until I drove a car with 500+ hp. I like driving manual, but I also really like the experience of zipping through instant gear changes while accelerating at rocket speed.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It has little to do with exclusivity in a "I have it, you don't" way, it's more like architecture or interior design. Do you really want to have the same house as 100 other people in your neighborhood, or do you want something that looks unique when you pull up your driveway and sit down to relax? Same could be said for many things in life. Variety is very important to me.

When it comes to cars, especially if I'm going to spend $100K on a sports car, I'd simply rather have something much less common, especially when all cars are "good enough" these days, assuming I can afford it. Like you said, it has a price that has to be weighed. I doubt most C8 buyers can swing a Huracan, but I think they would if they could.

At the moment I own nothing at all. Just been renting random stuff as I travel around. Will have something new next week for the next month :) Just depends what they give me. I had a small manual VW-something (Golf maybe?) in Spain for a month recently and it was arguably more fun than any exotic I've driven in recent years. My friend didn't understand why I insisted on asking for a manual at the rental desk LOL. Really made me question if I'd want to buy a new exotic with paddles. Maybe something like an old FGT, but I'm not really sure I'd be happy with paddles anymore.

Only other option is a manual GT3, but I've never been crazy about 911 design and interior. I'd kill for a manual GT3 with a 720S body though hah
Nothing common about a vw golf
Never see those:unsure:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I couldn’t care less if the Z06 is everywhere. If it puts a smile on my face when I drive it that’s all that matters. Besides, I have plenty of unique/exclusive cars to drive already.
Winner winner! I agree 100%. I don’t know where you guys all live that you see 10 or 12 new C8 daily on the road. . I live on the sunny west coast and in my daily travel 30 miles each way, I may be see one daily. When I do see one it definitely catches my eye. GM did a great job with these.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I have to take my hat off to the Corvette team. They are seriously bringing it with this C8 Z06. I would buy this car for the engine, alone. Very impressive. Watching the launch mini-film, it seems they went the extra mile everywhere, even the exhaust sound in the cabin, retuning the steering rack for the carbon wheels option, etc. I loved my C6 Z06 back in the day but it was nowhere near this much of an upgrade over the base Vette. I still find the C8 design slightly busy, but I will forgive all for that engine - wow. We are lucky to get this car and the Lotus Emira (V6, manual), as the industry heads toward EV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Winner winner! I agree 100%. I don’t know where you guys all live that you see 10 or 12 new C8 daily on the road. . I live on the sunny west coast and in my daily travel 30 miles each way, I may be see one daily. When I do see one it definitely catches my eye. GM did a great job with these.
Near the big 3 headquarters.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,950 Posts

yea I diasagree. I just want quality in an absolute sense. But I get that being different is important to many people. Variety is the spice of life.

My big disappointment with it is weight. 3400lbs dry weight on the absolute lightest model, means they average z06 will be around 3800lbs. Second big disappointment is no manual.

That said, they have done a really great job. This zo6 killed it!

·
Registered
491 Posts
And eventually we will get RHD (at least for C8, not sure if Z06 will). NA V8 going to 8600 will be fantastic. And I could get away with driving it to the office.

Long wait and although dealers here don't do ADMs I'm sure that to get a Z06 you'll probably need to buy a C8 first......

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,950 Posts
Interestingly, I could see this really affecting the SCG004. I think SCG uses boxed corvette engines and soups them up. This gives them a really great new option.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
man this guy is aggravating!
surely a great fast and competent car but the looks....... ricer comes to mind.
Annoying and utterly clueless on the details. Surely if you're going to do a video presentation that is likely to be widely viewed, you'd spend a bit of time to understand the details you're pointing out rather than just making assumptions and talking bollocks.

281 - 300 of 315 Posts