McLaren Life banner
241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well it’s definitely not as fast. It’s got good torque off the line so it might do a 0-60 time very close to a 570S but it won’t keep pace to 100 and it revs much more slowly than the 570S so it also won’t rocket out of corners the way the 570S can. In addition it weighs about 500 pounds more than a 570S so you’re going to feel that in the turns. But it’s still tons of fun and it corners better than the 7th gen Corvettes, which were not slouches at cornering - but no match for a 570S.
I’m getting consistent 2.8 - 2.85 0-60 times
1/4 mile times not as fast ……. Great car for the $
Guess that’s why they selling 15-20K over sticker still

·
Registered
442 Posts
The standard C8 just never did it for me. Something off about the looks. But the Z06 is tweaked enough that it looks ok. The engine sounds amazing though and I think the performance will be awesome too. Glad I’m on the list for one.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,657 Posts
The standard C8 just never did it for me. Something off about the looks. But the Z06 is tweaked enough that it looks ok. The engine sounds amazing though and I think the performance will be awesome too. Glad I’m on the list for one.
have you seen it in person. I find what you say about it to be true in photos but in person it looks way better

·
Registered
74 Posts
Huh?
They look almost exactly the same. Both the base & Z06 are stunners. A D- badged mid engine C8 often gets mistaken for a 570.

·
Registered
2018 720s
46 Posts
Huh?
They look almost exactly the same. Both the base & Z06 are stunners. A D- badged mid engine C8 often gets mistaken for a 570.
I was at my tire/wheel dealer today and they had a new C8HTC next to a 720s in the lot. The 720s is such an awesome design and had a great presence to it. That being said, the C8 is a good looking car. I hate the stock C8 ride height and the back end is really busy... but the car for the $$$ is a steal. I had one on order when Covid hit and sold it. I ordered an HTC a while back. I don't expect it to be a McLaren, but I think it will make a fun car. Will look good next to the 720s...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Huh?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

IMO there are subtle differences in the Z06 (at least what I can see in camo) that make a pretty big overall difference over the base C8. I don’t think the C8 is a stunner at all.

Just a few examples:

1. I hate how the side intakes look on the base C8. They look tacked on with the black trim piece and end abruptly at the bottom, rather than continuing all the way down to the rocker like they do on the C8.R and appears to do on the Z06.

2. Rear end is just a design mess on the base C8 IMO. The Z06 is subtly different and improves it, although still not great seems to be much better. Although I’ve only seen it in camo, so remains to be seen if I still feel that way after it’s revealed.

3. Speaking of rear end, center exhaust placement and shape is much better on the Z06 IMO.

4. Wider body on the Z06 looks better and gives a little more shape. Base looks slab sided to me with a side scoop thrown on and some clunky design elements to hide that fact.

5. I like the more aggressive front splitter and vents.

Again, no one major thing, but to my eye the C8 has always been so close to being great, but just off enough in subtle ways to ruin it for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Add me to the list that thinks this new corvette is a eye catcher in person. I’m not a Corvette person but GM did an amazing job with this new design.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I also like the C8, it's a big improvement over the C7, but a 570 it is not. There are angles where the Corvette just looks wrong. I've yet to find any angle from which the 570, or any other McLaren, looks anything less than stunning (Senna notwithstanding!).

241 - 253 of 253 Posts