McLaren Life banner
201 - 220 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2018 720s
46 Posts
Mine too! In fact the dealer told me mine finished production on the 18th so hopefully I’ll see it pretty soon.

Update: dealer said it will be a few weeks because there’s a “quality hold” on the cars right now. I assume that means they’re doing a extra quality control checking on the early production cars which is fine by me. I’d rather have it right than have it right now.
That's awesome! I checked today and my car is built. Now the wait. I am pleased they are doing heavy QC on the first runs.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I’m up to 730 miles now in my 2020 Corvette. Been rock solid and super fun to drive. Fit and finish quality is excellent. That row of buttons everyone thought was awful? I’d have that over digital controls EVERY time! But the Corvette has BOTH - every one of those controls is also available on the touch screen.

Driving-wise they’ve hit it out of the park. Even though it only has 495hp (with the Z51 performance option) on tap it feels like it gets every bit of that power down to the road even on cool-ish tires. My 755HP ZR-1 can’t do that. I’ve not had it on track yet but the grip feels awesome on twisty back roads - very confidence inspiring. Steering, brakes and throttle response also great. The 6,500 RPM redline is psychologically discouraging to someone used to high-revving McLaren & Ferrari engines but if you ignore the numbers it feels fine especially considering there’s one extra gear to shift through.

Tech-wise it is fantastic. Pretty much every option you could think of for $90K out the door. Heated/cooled electric memory seats w/comfort entry/exit, heads up display, performance data recorder, 4G LTE, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, On Star remote assistance, electrically adjustable steering wheel, front axel lift with GPS memory, 14 speaker stereo, front/rear parking cameras, auto heat/cool/defrost, digital/analog rear view mirror, multi-mode digital dash, and great but unobtrusive steering wheel controls. I’m sure I’m forgetting one or two other features but bottom line, is it is really well equipped!

Obviously it’s not as light and nimble as a 720S. 720S Spider beats it massively in outward view which is partially mitigated by the digital rear view mirror but is still not awesome. Obviously 720S coupe beats it (and pretty much every other car) even further in this area but Corvette is a Targa so best to compare with the Spider. Even though interior quality is great on C8, 720S still wins there too. From the drivers’ seat the Corvette feels more like an NSX in terms of how it’s all wrapped around you and places you in a pretty tight and high-walled cocoon. It’s not bad but I much prefer the more open feeling of the 720S. That said, they’re both very comfortable & fun cars that are easy to live with.

Happy to answer any questions.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Sounds great. I finally reached a build code of 3000 right before the current shutdown. So, once it starts up again I anticipate moving through the process fairly swiftly. How long did it take from when your build was accepted by production control (3000) to final build? I think I'm looking at 6-8 weeks following restart of production. What do you think?

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
227 Posts
I’m up to 730 miles now in my 2020 Corvette. Been rock solid and super fun to drive. Fit and finish quality is excellent. That row of buttons everyone thought was awful? I’d have that over digital controls EVERY time! But the Corvette has BOTH - every one of those controls is also available on the touch screen.

Driving-wise they’ve hit it out of the park. Even though it only has 495hp (with the Z51 performance option) on tap it feels like it gets every bit of that power down to the road even on cool-ish tires. My 755HP ZR-1 can’t do that. I’ve not had it on track yet but the grip feels awesome on twisty back roads - very confidence inspiring. Steering, brakes and throttle response also great. The 6,500 RPM redline is psychologically discouraging to someone used to high-revving McLaren & Ferrari engines but if you ignore the numbers it feels fine especially considering there’s one extra gear to shift through.

Tech-wise it is fantastic. Pretty much every option you could think of for $90K out the door. Heated/cooled electric memory seats w/comfort entry/exit, heads up display, performance data recorder, 4G LTE, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, On Star remote assistance, electrically adjustable steering wheel, front axel lift with GPS memory, 14 speaker stereo, front/rear parking cameras, auto heat/cool/defrost, digital/analog rear view mirror, multi-mode digital dash, and great but unobtrusive steering wheel controls. I’m sure I’m forgetting one or two other features but bottom line, is it is really well equipped!

Obviously it’s not as light and nimble as a 720S. 720S Spider beats it massively in outward view which is partially mitigated by the digital rear view mirror but is still not awesome. Obviously 720S coupe beats it (and pretty much every other car) even further in this area but Corvette is a Targa so best to compare with the Spider. Even though interior quality is great on C8, 720S still wins there too. From the drivers’ seat the Corvette feels more like an NSX in terms of how it’s all wrapped around you and places you in a pretty tight and high-walled cocoon. It’s not bad but I much prefer the more open feeling of the 720S. That said, they’re both very comfortable & fun cars that are easy to live with.

Happy to answer any questions.

I’m interested in the Z06 variant. My question is this...I also own a ZR1 and a 720 spider...and yes...the ME design puts the power down way better...so I expected that with the C8 as well...However, one of the biggest things I notice between the 720 and the ZR1 is the weight/nimbleness. So what’s your opinion on that, being that the C8 is some 400-500lbs heavier than the 720? Does it ‘feel’ heavy like the ZR1?

Congrats btw!!!!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
how would you compared to driving 570s?

been at 3000 since 2/4. with current situation i will just be happy with my 570spider until it finally shows up

mine seems like will never get here a convertible was supposed to be april production sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
My question is this...I also own a ZR1 and a 720 spider...and yes...the ME design puts the power down way better...so I expected that with the C8 as well...However, one of the biggest things I notice between the 720 and the ZR1 is the weight/nimbleness. So what’s your opinion on that, being that the C8 is some 400-500lbs heavier than the 720? Does it ‘feel’ heavy like the ZR1?
Yes it feels heavy like the ZR1 but some of that heaviness is offset by better balance and quicker steering. It is never going to carve the turns, and rocket out of the corners, like a McLaren can but it is definitely way less intimidating to drive fast than the C7. But it’s still an incredibly fun car and I don’t mean “an incredibly fun car for the money” I mean an incredibly fun car, period.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
how would you compared to driving 570s?

been at 3000 since 2/4. with current situation i will just be happy with my 570spider until it finally shows up

mine seems like will never get here a convertible was supposed to be april production sometime.
Well it’s definitely not as fast. It’s got good torque off the line so it might do a 0-60 time very close to a 570S but it won’t keep pace to 100 and it revs much more slowly than the 570S so it also won’t rocket out of corners the way the 570S can. In addition it weighs about 500 pounds more than a 570S so you’re going to feel that in the turns. But it’s still tons of fun and it corners better than the 7th gen Corvettes, which were not slouches at cornering - but no match for a 570S.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I’ve got a convertible on order too. They had not started convertible production prior to the announced plant shut down so I think convertibles are going to be a long way off.

In addition they’ve now stopped taking orders for the 2020 model year and currently don’t plan to start taking orders for 2021 models until “late May”.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My son and I put deposits on the C8 3 years ago and got our cars #958 and #1706 last month, for me it was just not the Mclaren so I sold it and purchased another MP4 last weekend. My son is very happy with his and he said he was going to keep it. The back of the car is huge and it doesn't have the Mclaren performance I don't care what the youtubers say.

201 - 220 of 256 Posts