McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A member on the mid engine C8 corvette forum started a thread - “C8 will be at NAIAS 2019”
Detroit is where future mobility innovations meet the pavement. With the largest concentration of the world’s top automotive and technology executives, designers, engineers and thought leaders, the North American International Auto Show serves as the global stage for companies to debut brand-defining vehicles and industry-shaping announcements.
NAIAS is unmatched in the industry in presenting six unique shows in one, including: The Gallery, an ultra-luxury automotive event, AutoMobili-D, an inside look at future mobility platforms, Press Preview, Industry Preview, Charity Preview and then concluding with a nine-day Public Show.
THE GALLERY - JANUARY 12, 2019
2019 marks the thirteenth year of the ultra-luxury automotive event, The Gallery. This event has now become the official kick-off to the North American International Auto Show. The Gallery will be located at MGM Grand Detroit. Guests will experience a nearly $10 million collection of the most acclaimed automobiles the world has to offer, including brands such as Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and Rolls Royce, to name just a few.
AUTOMOBILI-D – JANUARY 14-17, 2019
The 2018 AutoMobili-D featured more than 200 brands, ranging from automakers, to suppliers, to tech startups as well as universities and government organizations. No other event in North America provides an international platform for this vast array of companies, organizations and thought leaders under one roof.
In addition to the companies showcasing their new innovations, AutoMobili-D featured five days of mobility-themed content/presentations – topics ranging from suppliers driving mobility technology, V2I connectivity, urban mobility, smart cities, building a mobility workforce, ride sharing, cybersecurity and autonomous technologies.
AutoMobili-D will kick-off in conjunction with the start of Press Preview on Monday January 14, 2019, and will remain open through Industry Preview. NAIAS will dedicate specific press conference slots for participating AutoMobili-D companies on the afternoons of both Press Days.
Planet M Hall will be open:
Monday, January 14, 2019 –*Tuesday, January 15, 2019
7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
12:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Thursday, January 17, 2019
7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
PRESS PREVIEW - JANUARY 14-15, 2019
The world’s automotive and mobility leaders gather for three days of worldwide product and technology debuts all under one roof.
Last January, the 2018 NAIAS featured 69 vehicle introductions, including 52 worldwide debuts. News coming out of NAIAS is heard across the globe as nearly 5,100 journalists from 60 different countries annually attend to cover the latest and greatest happenings our industry has to offer.
Through a media audit conducted by PRIME Research, a global leader in media analysis, found:
• NAIAS remains the global leader among domestic shows in terms of influence as it garners the largest reach and number of articles.
• NAIAS generated the vast majority of global visibility for automaker executives with 11 out of the top 15 individuals being at our show.
• NAIAS is a true international auto show as it leads in total share of voice globally when compared to the other domestic auto shows.
Please note: NAIAS-issued media credentials are required for admittance.
INDUSTRY PREVIEW - JANUARY 16-17, 2019
Connect and share insights with 40,000 automotive executives, engineers, developers, designers and analysts representing over 2,200 companies from around the world. This unique networking and professional development opportunity brings together the key individuals responsible for the leading-edge products, technologies and services on display at NAIAS. Industry Preview is the largest automotive industry gathering in the nation.
Dates and Times
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
Noon - 9 p.m.
Thursday, January 17, 2019
7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
CHARITY PREVIEW - JANUARY 18, 2019
Charity Preview is the largest annual, single-night fundraiser in the world.
Proceeds directly benefit a wide range of children's charities. Funds raised will support services for children of all ages from birth to 18. Since 1976, the Charity Preview has raised more than $117 million for southeastern Michigan children's charities - over $40 million of which was raised in the last 10 years alone. For more information on Charity Preview, call 888.838.7500.
Charity Preview Date and Time
Friday, January 18, 2019
6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
(Black-tie)

PUBLIC SHOW - JANUARY 19-27, 2019
Experience an automotive event unlike any other. At NAIAS you have the opportunity to see up-close the vehicles and technologies that will shape the future automotive landscape. From muscle and electric cars, to high-performance supercars and full-size trucks, NAIAS has something for everyone to enjoy.
Dates and Times
8 a.m. daily - Early access for handicapped individuals
Enter at the Hall C Entrance only
Saturday, January 19 - Saturday, January 26, 2019
9 a.m. - 10 p.m. (no admittance after 9 p.m.)
Sunday, January 27, 2019
9 a.m. - 7 p.m. (no admittance after 6 p.m.)

1 Washington Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48226

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,630 Posts
I find the mid engine vette very exciting. They have always been great bang for buck. If you buy a 3rd model year or later corvette, they are Honda like in quality, and cheaper to maintain. Double wishbone suspension. Really really great engineering for the price point.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I find the mid engine vette very exciting. They have always been great bang for buck. If you buy a 3rd model year or later corvette, they are Honda like in quality, and cheaper to maintain. Double wishbone suspension. Really really great engineering for the price point.
Though I’ve seen mention that the C8 will probably start around $150K.. no longer as much bang for the buck as before.... personally I’ve never liked Corvette’s, but this one intrigues me. Need to see final images of it tho.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
284 Posts
GM has wanted to do this for years. But the diehard Vette owners screamed. So GM waited the old people out. It will be interesting on how this car does in sales. I think that is one of the reasons they are keeping both platforms for now.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,630 Posts
Though I’ve seen mention that the C8 will probably start around $150K.. no longer as much bang for the buck as before.... personally I’ve never liked Corvette’s, but this one intrigues me. Need to see final images of it tho.

Thanks!

Z.
Yea articles have since come out noting the prices will be around what they always were, plus im sure, at the least, the normal bump from model to model.

I don't personally have to like a car to respect and like it. Meaning, the aesthetics of muscle cars, particularly older ones from the 70s that get all spruced and fixed up, they aint my thing. But I totally respect them as great cars, just not my aesthetic.

I personally do not like how buggattis look, but I like the car in that I can appreciate it is really good for what it is.

I hate SUVs for myself, but I can respect the Tesla Model X.

Not a big fan of trucks, but really really respect the ford raptor.

Etc. etc. Corvette for its price punches WAY above its weight class. Then again, variety is the spice of life and YMMV! :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
The C8.R test mules look very interesting, but some of the regular C8 test mules don’t look very good IMHO. I’m hoping the camo is just doing a real good job of hiding the design, but I’m kind of doubtful. Looking forward to the reveal.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The price, according to speculation by Iacocca, will be around 80K. Within three years a higher performance version will be available, as is typical for Corvette, but with a price around $150K+. Makes sense to me. The typical buyer isn't spending over $100K currently,and GM would be foolish to price the car out of its normal range. At least for the base models that will launch. I'm excited that they're finally doing what ZA wanted to have done in 1967.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
The price, according to speculation by Iacocca, will be around 80K. Within three years a higher performance version will be available, as is typical for Corvette, but with a price around $150K+. Makes sense to me. The typical buyer isn't spending over $100K currently,and GM would be foolish to price the car out of its normal range. At least for the base models that will launch. I'm excited that they're finally doing what ZA wanted to have done in 1967.
The speculative prices are all over the place. However, a few things could point to the $150-$170K range:

1) There are rumors that the C7 and C8 will be sold at the same time as an overlap for up to a year. So the "new" C7 would be the affordably priced one.
2) It's an entirely new platform, with a lot of development costs. A very common practice is to sell the most expensive one first to recoup some of those costs with those that like exclusivity and can afford it. Releasing the better one later will likely attract less people that won't like that the market is already flooded with "cheap" C8's that look almost identical to their top of the line one.

I speculate that there is a good chance they release the top of the line C8 Zora first (at >$150K) in parallel with a facelifted/upgraded C7, then when the C7 is retired, they come out with the cheaper sub-$100K C8. I've seen mention that long time Corvette fans are typically much older, and the least likely to buy in to a mid-engined Corvette (or less in a position to buy a new incrementally priced C8), so pandering to the current enthusiast market is probably less of a priority than it once was.

I really think they will want to make a splash with this new platform, so targeting 911 owners around $150K, and maybe traditional supercar buyers who play in the used market, doesn't seem so far fetched as long as they have the C7 running in parallel.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Zombie, I couldn't agree with you more. My comments after Zombie's statements below, surrounded by **:

Zombie: I find the mid engine vette very exciting. They have always been great bang for buck. If you buy a 3rd model year or later corvette, they are Honda like in quality, and cheaper to maintain. Double wishbone suspension. Really really great engineering for the price point. **Agreed!**

Zombie: I don't personally have to like a car to respect and like it. Meaning, the aesthetics of muscle cars, particularly older ones from the 70s that get all spruced and fixed up, they aint my thing. But I totally respect them as great cars, just not my aesthetic. **I feel the same way. I have a few muscle cars and am not really into the ’32 deuce coupes, and the like. But I can sure appreciate the work that people put into them!**

Zombie: I personally do not like how buggattis look, but I like the car in that I can appreciate it is really good for what it is. **Exactly my perspective. The front-end to me is borderline homely. But you have to respect the engineering in that machine!**

Zombie: I hate SUVs for myself, but I can respect the Tesla Model X. **I am not an electric car fan, but the Tesla makes a compelling case. Just missing the music from the (lack of) exhaust.**

Zombie: Not a big fan of trucks, but really really respect the ford raptor. **My daily driver is a 2005 F150 with a Roush Supercharger. It has 339,000 miles on it and runs perfectly. I would “upgrade” to a Raptor but mine just fits me like a nicely broken in pair of tennis shoes. :)**

Zombie: Corvette for its price punches WAY above its weight class. Then again, variety is the spice of life and YMMV! **I picked up a 2013 12C Spider about 6 weeks ago and absolutely love it. But I also have a 2016 Z06/Z07 and can tell you that even though it’s not a “supercar”, it will hang with the MP4-12C. When I drive the 2 back-to-back, I talk to myself, saying, “Advantage McLaren”… or “Advantage Z06”, depending on what I am doing at that moment. (I.E., tight turns and transmission, advantage McLaren…. braking and stereo, advantage Corvette.) Acceleration is pretty much a draw. Vette, 0-60 in 2.95 vs. Mac at 3.0. Vette, 1/4 mile in 10.95 vs. Mac at 10.90. Each car is within .05 seconds of each other. Obviously the McLaren is considerably faster on the top end.**

**Bottom line: I have read in many places (including this forum), where people will compare Mclarens, to Lambos to Ferraris. And that’s a fair comparison. But then people say that the McLaren is the best bang for the buck and you can’t find a car that performs equally, unless you spend 2-3 times as much. Pretty much completely dismissing the Z06. My Z06/Z07 MSRPed at $106K and I got it new for $20K in back of MSRP. If there is a better performing car that can be bought for $86K, with carbon ceramic brakes, Cup 2 tires, a very well done interior, a built-in video recorder (which is amazing…. I don’t understand why no other car is doing this) with a 5 year, 50K mile warranty and that costs virtually nothing to maintain, I’d like to know.**

**Kudos for you Zombie, for acknowledging that the “Corvette for its price punches WAY above its weight class”.**

**I know that this thread was about the C8 mid-engine and I apologize if I high-jacked it. Maybe the mid-engine C8 will finally be what it takes.**

**That being said, I think I will go out to my garage now and take the McLaren out for an evening spin!**

·
Registered
10 Posts
Until you get to the C8s that have the blackwing engine, it won't compete with cars in the McLaren range. The LT1 derivative "base" car will be a great value $$$s wise.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Yeah i am a long term vette owner sold my c7 z last march get 570. Gonna be long wait for vette fans for mid engine. I dont think anyone will be driving em on th street til 2020 spring. I couldnt wait that long and wanted out of my c7z.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,630 Posts
I'm really rooting for the c8, but so far, it's weird bulges and stuff. Almost every variant of a mid engine car usually looks pretty good. But if the bulges and angles end up as what we see with the camo, it's like theyve managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory in designing it. That it still somehow looks cheezier than it needs to, like a smidge more trans am vibe coming from it than there need be. I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully the camo is really a good misdirect and the final version ends up looking great. But I have my concerns with the latest camo shots...

·
All cars are beautiful
88 Posts
The corvette really used to look cool...but now its trying to emulate something it isn't, which is the European exotics. That being said, if it continues to climb upwards in price - e.g. north of $150k - I think they will start to lose sales rather quickly.

Anyway, I find the Alcantera and carbon fiber bits in the interior really doesn't match the rest of their interior which always just reminded me of old school Chevy parts, not that anything is wrong with that. It's just that it doesn't fit well together somehow.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I am excited for this new era of Corvette but I don't think I will be too sad about having my 570 spider instead now for two years maybe once a ZO6 version comes out we will see what it looks like when camo comes off. I have a feeling gonna be a heavy car.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm really rooting for the c8, but so far, it's weird bulges and stuff. Almost every variant of a mid engine car usually looks pretty good. But if the bulges and angles end up as what we see with the camo, it's like theyve managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory in designing it. That it still somehow looks cheezier than it needs to, like a smidge more trans am vibe coming from it than there need be. I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully the camo is really a good misdirect and the final version ends up looking great. But I have my concerns with the latest camo shots...
Totally agree. It looks like a design mess to me and the proportions just look off. I feel like the front looks very tall, the side scoops bulge way too far out and the rear looks huge and flat.

That being said, I think they are being pretty clever with the camo, so I am hoping all of the above is just misdirection and the final product looks good.

I actually thought some of C8R spy shots in camo looked pretty good.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts