McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a blog on the pros and cons of the different options for buying and selling supercars:

Comments? Thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As usual from you, very well thought out, with useful and helpful information.

Thank you for taking the time to do.

Boxer, you mentioned that "used supercars at dealerships are marked up some 15% - 20%". Makes good sense,...

Sir, what about NEW cars?

Thanks,,....

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As usual from you, very well thought out, with useful and helpful information.

Thank you for taking the time to do.

Boxer, you mentioned that "used supercars at dealerships are marked up some 15% - 20%". Makes good sense,...

Sir, what about NEW cars?

Thanks,,....
Harder to tell on the new supercars but dealer margins can be 20%+

·
Registered
287 Posts
Boxer, don't want to hijack your thread, but what did you think of the XJR15? I love their popcorn in a skillet clatter at idle and banshee howl at rev. Similar to a P51.

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boxer, don't want to hijack your thread, but what did you think of the XJR15? I love their popcorn in a skillet clatter at idle and banshee howl at rev. Similar to a P51.
Definitely a car I enjoyed owning. Jaguar XJR-15: Driver's Seat | karenable Its a Point A to Point A car though as its got zero luggage room and more than 2 hours in a row behind the wheel will result in brain damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Informative article, with a proper balance between entry-level details and in-depth insights. thanks as usual :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
thank you for your insights.
I think i have purchased every way you describe, and have sold same.
I have a good experiences and horrible experiences throughout.
Those that i thought i could trust screwed me even though i had done all i could to protect myself, and other transactions worked out well.
go figure......thats life

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
As long as you do a PPI and your homework, I think private sales are always the way to go if you can find the spec you want. Best price for both parties, and if it's a modern car it will be pretty low risk.

I'd say the main reasons to buy from an authorized dealer is a potential for a warranty and simply the fact that authorized dealers tend to have the most inventory. If the car is somewhat unloved (like 12c was), dealer pricing can be pretty close to private pricing. They often take the cars on trades, which gives them a lot of margin room to unload the car quicker so they can just get rid of it.

I don't think I'd ever buy a "normal" car at auction. Always seems like bad pricing, high risk. If you can buy a model at a dealer or from a private party, then there is no reason to buy it at auction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts