McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like a spot in the garage might be coming free shortly. A 12C is one of the leading options to fill it. As I will want the car for use this spring/summer, I will be buying used. Any and all advice on what to look for when looking at different cars would be greatly appreciated.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I'd suggest a blue one. ;)

If you were in the USA there would even be one great option.

Best of luck in your searching. :cool:

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Boxer. Tough question. The engine and gearbox seem to be bomb proof. The brakes are a choice, iron or carbon, but I assume you have a preference ?

The Volcano paints are very expensive to maintain as they have a soft surface and cost £1000 per panel to rectify so that needs consideration if you are on a budget but looking at your garage your budget is either substantial or under pressure!

All the colours are good with Volcano Red clearly the most spectacular, tasteful and fastest plus Ron likes it.

Multi colour interiors reflect in the screen unless Polarised glasses are worn. The seat does not suite all so try the adjustments. I do think contrasting stitching lifts the understated cabin.

Avoid cars with Darren and Sharon stickers on the screen and ones from Brighton in Dulux black.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Boxer. Tough question. The engine and gearbox seem to be bomb proof. The brakes are a choice, iron or carbon, but I assume you have a preference ?

The Volcano paints are very expensive to maintain as they have a soft surface and cost £1000 per panel to rectify so that needs consideration if you are on a budget but looking at your garage your budget is either substantial or under pressure!

All the colours are good with Volcano Red clearly the most spectacular, tasteful and fastest plus Ron likes it.

Multi colour interiors reflect in the screen unless Polarised glasses are worn. The seat does not suite all so try the adjustments. I do think contrasting stitching lifts the understated cabin.

Avoid cars with Darren and Sharon stickers on the screen and ones from Brighton in Dulux black.
Every thing RIC says Boxer,especially the colour,but not VR,many of the greys and silvers seem a good bet as a second hand buy,if you are not too big standard seats are just as comfortable as electrics and the lightweight wheels set the car off well,any carbon options are just cosmectic,but worth having as they will have lost there value from new.So its just personal preferance,none of the options make the car any quicker and as you know they are all being upgraded at no cost to the owner for the life of the model

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've just bought a 12c and waited and waited for a car with a very high spec, there are some nice cars around at the moment, especially 2012 cars, and some bargains. The car I bought is as 2012 car with 6.5k on the clock, with every single carbon option. Paid £155k, you cannot go wrong with savings like that!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would also think about doing something sooner rather than later. Presumably you realise that McLaren are dialling back production on the coupe. They are also doing some silly deals on new 2012 stock thats having an impact on 2nd hand pricing, but I don't think that will last. Thats why I decided to buy this month rather than waiting till Spring.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
If I were buying a car again, I would probably go for a volcano orange car but just plaster it with paintshield bearing in mind the cost of the elite paints instead my current car colour of sapphire black but it's really an issue of personal preference.

Main thing I would suggest would be to get one with lightweight wheels as I think the car feels better with them. I accept however that might be a something of a placebo effect as I knew I was running a car with them and unfortunately am far from convinced my driving is of the standard that I can honestly say I feel the difference 10kg of unsprung weight makes! Carbon options I would say are nice to have if you like the look and also optically look good on getting a bigger discount to price paid on a new car but I don't have them on my car as it doesn't actually make the car any lighter and I rather like the non carbon look more.

One other thing perhaps to look out for is that I find the front luggage bonnet quite easily gets a bit of a dent when being shut as I have seen quite a few of the used cars having that...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
These cars look awesome in pretty much any color/trim combination, so I'd go for whatever takes your fancy. Black roof always adds to the look too, but you could do that later. The only option I got that I probably won't do next time are the power seats - I've once used them!Did get the CF backs tho' and they match the CF dash nicely.
Make sure the car has had all the recalls and upgrades attended to, and if its a year old get the service done as part of the deal and save yourself $1280. I'm sure there's an official list of upgrades and recalls somewhere, but there has been a LOT! Door latches, A/C, V-10, suspension sensors, amplifiers, etc, etc.
Do it now Boxer!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts

Boxer as you know ones in Brighton are one colour only & are used a lot to take the DULUX dogs out for walkies so the car has NOT had any nagging women in the car saying slow down so WORTH A LOT MORE MONEY RIC has never had this because he only goes 40MPH on the M25 ( YOU MUST GET IRIS & SPORTS EXHAUST ) Boxer this is a MUST ! ! ! !:):):):):eek::eek:

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I used to just read this forum for the info - now it is for the comedy. :D

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Boxer,when i first read this thread i was somewhat surprised,as way back when we first started you thought the car would not be for you.Tell me have we just worn you down with our enthusiasum and you need to find out what all the fuss is about?????????????:)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Boxer. You will have noted that Robbie did not recommend Black with carefully placed, and artful, paint runs in. However Iris is a good recommendation and the Sports exhaust if you are at war with the neighbours.

But I assume your neighbours live a mile or so away given the size of your garage!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Boxer. You will have noted that Robbie did not recommend Black with carefully placed, and artful, paint runs in. However Iris is a good recommendation and the Sports exhaust if you are at war with the neighbours.

But I assume your neighbours live a mile or so away given the size of your garage!
RIC,i always thought the paint runs were to mask the crap venture shield finish,certainly a case of not touched by human hands going on there:D

·
Owner
893 Posts
Speaking of paint ...... (and, I know they are not that perfect) but, does anyone make a touch-up paint for McLaren cars ?
Not looking to rectify anything major; just something (god forbid) like a very small stone peck (head of a pin size). I've had success, doing this with the tri-stage metallic Lamborghini paints.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It looks like a spot in the garage might be coming free shortly. A 12C is one of the leading options to fill it. As I will want the car for use this spring/summer, I will be buying used. Any and all advice on what to look for when looking at different cars would be greatly appreciated.
If you are having a mid life crisis then go for the Volcano Orange, with optional winkle picker go faster shoes,. If you feel you have done that got the Tee shirt and just want to see the kids squirm as you spend their inheritance then Volcano dream coat Red is for you. Alternatively if you are more 007 than 99 go for the Carbon Black or Grey CLASSY !!!!!! as only a Southerner would know , and like Big Ron's car ask Ric
Most importantly no matter how good your hearing must have sports exhaust

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Speaking of paint ...... (and, I know they are not that perfect) but, does anyone make a touch-up paint for McLaren cars ?
Not looking to rectify anything major; just something (god forbid) like a very small stone peck (head of a pin size). I've had success, doing this with the tri-stage metallic Lamborghini paints.
The mac Manchester paintshop gave me a small pot of VO,but being water based its very thin but does the job on the tiny stone chips that are not covered in venture shield.

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boxer. However Iris is a good recommendation and the Sports exhaust if you are at war with the neighbours.

No matter how loud the sports exhaust is, I am sure the neighbors will appreciate it vs the "waking the dead" ability of the XJR-15.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts