McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I would like to open this post with the idea to show the progress in my car both in maintenance and the different mods that I will be doing.
If this serves as something to someone, I will be more than satisfied.
after 6 months of ownership and 5k miles traveled.
by living in a country without an authorized mclaren dealer, my doubts and fears about how to maintain the car and its technology from NASA.

they made me doubt about their possible purchase, during the first months with a lot of fear and ignorance little by little I began to use the car.
I want to share all the discoveries by having this alien on the operating table to dissect it as that visitor of the fallen space in Roswell, New Mexico.
thanks to the workshop manual in pdf
as if from an ancient papyrus to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics
greatly facilitated maintenance work and some basic posts
to make minor oil changes and maintenance

luckily, to get the spare parts, there is a dealer in another country, but that very kindly supplies me with the spare parts I need.
Of course if you consider buying this car, ebay is your friend. The search tasks must be constant, maybe who knows and we have fortune and we find something interesting

the car had a minor maintenance job
but I needed urgent attention, the brake discs (4) were ready to be retired, also a change of pills.
I was lucky to get a complete new rear set for ebay, and the dealer supplied me with the forwards.

it is really amazing the rigidity of the carbon chassis of this car
with just two wheels and a single front support on the elevator it stays perfectly in the air

the wear of the tires of irregular shape, betrayed a bad alignment of the car
a new pirelli pzero and perfectly aligned car.

new carbon side mirrors I found on ebay for a good price

for this project I have the help of a friend who has the super power of molding carbon fiber with his hands, an authentic artist with whom I can almost make carbon fiber any piece that comes to mind

my love and taste for carbon would be making a small mod

the carbon fiber floor with the MSO logo was manufactured

I never liked the red mclaren emblem of the first cars
the blur of the emblem I think it was a mistake and completely out of tune with the car

was replaced by the carbon version

another very improvable part are the small paddle to change gear
my friend made a new paddle based on the size of the MSO version,
in carbon fiber

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One of the most important aesthetic mods has been to modify the air intakes,

lateral in the 650 in my opinion this much better done.
the appearance of the car side better enough and is a great modification in the refrigeration provided that the air ducts are also modified.
before

after

The biggest difficulty of this project is to adapt the air channels and the grids

the grids have a ridiculously high price in mclaren, and are not 100% compatible without modifying them
with which he went down the straight path and created by copying the form using a 3d printer

·
Registered
543 Posts
Looks really great! Congrats to you....Is your friend in Spain Diego who builds the carbon pieces?
Yes, those are definitely his paddles. I've been working with him on them and should be having a set in the USA here shortly for my car.

-Troy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Broooo! Great work :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks to this forum I met the one that I consider one of my best friends and I supply these soft close door

my 2013 car with sliding door opening never gave me a single problem
as I have read from many users who have suffered.

once installed the soft close is a great improvement, closes better and has a softer setting

after reading a DIY on a 12c spider how to update soft close door easily, I have to tell my own experience.

It is a colossal job, nothing of plug and play, you have to disassemble half a car to access the hole where they are housed.
I only recommend updating if you have to perform more tasks
why?

A picture is worth a thousand words
whole hours "diving" inside the engine compartment

because you have to disarm the interocoolers, you have to disassemble coolant pipes, you have to disarm ... so it's worth it when done together with more work
doing this mod alone does not make sense.

P.D does not need any coding

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we come to the best part, to the mechanics
after removing the bottom tray of the car.

we discovered the endemic evil of the mclaren, water leaks although it does not leave remains in the garage floor. The loss is gradual and there are traces of antifreeze in the lower tray.

all anti-freeze losses come from the closing of the hoses.
please pay attention to me, the solution in mclaren's warranty is to put back the same clamp .... which is just a patch, sooner or later it will reappear.

the solution is easy and cheap
you only need clamps to tighten with a screw, and you will forget forever the losses.

I do not know how many hoses had leaks, they changed all
an important point to consider are also the front ones that go to the radiators after the front bumper

I also had a small leak present in the water pump.
of course if you have the mclaren warranty it will be exchanged for a new
when the leak is caused by the packing of the water pump due to bad antifreeze

without the intention of creating controversy, the commercial partner of mclaren mobil 1, supplies a highly improvable antifreeze of modest specifications.
is mixed with tap water (water from Dubai?, California?, New York?, Madrid? .... from where?)
and shares it with trucks iveco, renault, volvo :(

pay attention to me, buy an antifreeze of better charateristics and improved performance
Your mclaren is worthy of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
luckily my gearbox was perfect and completely sealed
I took advantage and changed the pentosin of clutch filter and oil of the gearbox.

this is because a previous service the operator was not diligent in his work

Every good mechanic knows that if the cork stopper falls to the ground and suffers a blow.
you have to change it for a new one and then if it has suffered a small deformation it will not screw well (metal with metal) and it will finish scraping the thread and will not close at 100%
luckily it was easily solved with a new plug

at this point
the spark plugs were also changed, which are supplied.
as a curiosity, the spark plugs are manufactured by NGK exclusively for mclaren and the reference is only known by mclaren
(now also you)

It is an uncommon size and no spark plug wrench that can get into the cylinder heads to remove the old spark plugs.
we had to use ingenuity and make a tool to do the work

changing the spark plugs is a great pain
To get to them you have to disassemble intercoolers hoses take out the coolant ...

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,474 Posts
Nice job! Interested in more detail how you did the 650S side scoops and grids? Can you print more grids on the 3D printer and sell them to us for a reasonable cost?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice job! Interested in more detail how you did the 650S side scoops and grids? Can you print more grids on the 3D printer and sell them to us for a reasonable cost?
thanks!!
Side scoops were purchased on ebay from a 650s
The grids were created with a 3d printer simply by copying the shape of the oem grids mp4 12c, same shape and drawing. in ABS plastic of good quality
it's a job that any 3d printer shop in your city can perform
They were not cheap, they are many hours to make them.
the grilles 650 oem mclaren cost very expensive

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Solved the problems of leaks and with all the car's liquid oil included by a more dense specification.
the air filters were replaced by BMC sports ones.

When you can get to change the spark plugs, getting to the catalysts is something much easier.
the secondary catalysts are designed to reduce the exhaust sound, the idea is to eliminate them to see how the car behaves without them.
Of course there is a significant reduction in the heat of the engine compartment where it is located next to the water intercoolers.

I think it's much more involved in the catalytic sound of the car than the exhaust itself, almost all the exhaust for this car without a silencer
there are only two possible shapes due to their design in the form of X and in the form of H.
opt for the factory option OEM Inconel sport exhaust

happy with the final result. Maybe it's not for everyone
it's much louder and maybe it has some drone,
but it sounds like a powerful biturbo rumbling through the walls of tunnels and rising faster from half the rpm
it sounds like 30-40% more than the stock car just eliminated the secondary catalyst
there is no cel engine

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, those are definitely his paddles. I've been working with him on them and should be having a set in the USA here shortly for my car.

-Troy
I put a set on my car a few weeks ago. Nice set and look very similar to the MSO carbon paddles, but are thicker than the MSO. I'm likely going to switch over to an MSO set of paddles in the next few months, but they work and feel great.

Attachments

·
Sponsor
694 Posts
The ones pictured in this thread are stick on. MSO are different. They are one piece. I can sell you one but it's attached to a steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts