McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 720S a year ago I noticed there was no coolant in the top off tank. When I told service they said it was just the top off tank and added distilled water. After a month or so the coolant top off tank turned brown and when I told them they said it was corrosion. So they charged me to do a full coolant flush and change. Now 9 months later it is happening again. From what I have heard this is not normal behavior on the 720S. Service manuals dictate coolant should be changed every two years. I don’t have any issues on overheating and the car is still under warranty.

What could have caused this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
that dealer should have took it in and topped it off. instead they were big enough dicks to charg your for a coolant flush? jesus.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a McLaren certified dealer and service center. Car was also certified preowned, so everything was oem. The first time I mentioned there was no coolant visible in the reservoir so they added distilled water. This caused it turn brown entirely after 2-3 months. I had used it on track as well and did the pre-track inspection. A couple weeks After the track event I noticed it turned brown. I suspected there was too much distilled water for the amount of anti corrosive in the coolant causing it corrode. I don’t know why after the full coolant flush and change it’s happening again after only a year. I drive the car almost every day for at least 15 miles usually closer to 30 and I haven’t even tracked it since then.

There’s no leak as well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
weird.
coolant color is not brown, no matter how much you dilute it.
I you sure there isn't another issue as brown fluid would suggest something else

·
Registered
395 Posts
What do you mean by Mclaren certified dealer? Is it a McLaren dealer you can find in the McLaren cars website or not?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is a McLaren dealer in the owners manual. The coolant was bluish green when they changed it, then after 6 months it turned brown and dark again.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that’s what I thought and I told them the first time which is why they completely flushed it and did the coolant change, now it is happening again after a year. My car is still under warranty luckily. I’m just curious what would cause this especially on a regularly driven car with no other problems.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hmmmm
If it looks like corrosion, why was the affected area that is causing the corrosion dealt with?

Reactions: TwnTrbo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mate you have a blown headgasket. Quite 'normal' problem on 720s, that will be good grounds for a new engine, all the blown 720s usually came from a ignored blown gasket. Try to see if you can get the senna/765lt tri-layer ones if there is no further engine damage, or just ask for a new engine because if there is oil in your water, there is water in your oil.

By the way contact Mclaren North America, because what the grease pricks told you. Incompetence, straight lie, did not followed with the obligation of following up with their diagnose (if it is corrosion aka bloody rust) they had to locate it and change it. Oxidation is excessive wear on a car under warranty.

EDIT: It can be a dual oil/coolant rad internal leak, but I'm pretty sure there is none on the 720s.
Another thing I would like to add is that there is OBVIOUS lawsuit worthy malicious intent, when putting distilled water on a suspected corroded coolant system, this is their job, they know exactly that it will just make it worse. Now, for the benefict of doubt given the whole thing in practice was so malicious, they maybe were trying to create the ideal conditions for you to blow the engine up and facilitate a warranty claim on a new engine and reduce the time your car spends there swapping parts that will not solve the issue and might mask worse internal issues, maybe they know that is what Mclaren North America does so they acted on the best way they could on the problem, obviously they wouldn't be allowed to spill this out to an unknown owner much less to someone who apparently does not understand the mechanics of an engine (not a dig by the way).
If I was in your shoes, I would either try to claim a engine replacement right now, or work very hard (no over revs) or track coordinates to blow the engine, because that one might be done.

As a curiosity what oil did they use? Is your thermostat working (water temp around 90c to less than 100c)? Did your oil rise in level? Did you check the condition of your oil?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mate you have a blown headgasket. Quite 'normal' problem on 720s, that will be good grounds for a new engine, all the blown 720s usually came from a ignored blown gasket. Try to see if you can get the senna/765lt tri-layer ones if there is no further engine damage, or just ask for a new engine because if there is oil in your water, there is water in your oil.

By the way contact Mclaren North America, because what the grease pricks told you. Incompetence, straight lie, did not followed with the obligation of following up with their diagnose (if it is corrosion aka bloody rust) they had to locate it and change it. Oxidation is excessive wear on a car under warranty.

EDIT: It can be a dual oil/coolant rad internal leak, but I'm pretty sure there is none on the 720s.
Another thing I would like to add is that there is OBVIOUS lawsuit worthy malicious intent, when putting distilled water on a suspected corroded coolant system, this is their job, they know exactly that it will just make it worse. Now, for the benefict of doubt given the whole thing in practice was so malicious, they maybe were trying to create the ideal conditions for you to blow the engine up and facilitate a warranty claim on a new engine and reduce the time your car spends there swapping parts that will not solve the issue and might mask worse internal issues, maybe they know that is what Mclaren North America does so they acted on the best way they could on the problem, obviously they wouldn't be allowed to spill this out to an unknown owner much less to someone who apparently does not understand the mechanics of an engine (not a dig by the way).
If I was in your shoes, I would either try to claim a engine replacement right now, or work very hard (no over revs) or track coordinates to blow the engine, because that one might be done.

As a curiosity what oil did they use? Is your thermostat working (water temp around 90c to less than 100c)? Did your oil rise in level? Did you check the condition of your oil?
Pretty heavy speculation.....no?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pretty heavy speculation.....no?
Coolant is brown. Either there is oil or corrosion.
Hypotesis 1. Headgasket or dual oil/coolant internal rad leak. Water gets into the oil, heavly reduces lubrification and creates oxidation inside the engine internals.
Makes sense given the coolant consumption (it didn't disappear, it was just transfered into the oil)

Or the mechanics hypotesis 2: somehow a 2 year car has enough rust in the cooling system to turn it brown, proceed to do nothing about diagnosing and proceed to the opposite they should do in case of coolant system corrosion, add distilled water.

An engine is an engine, all cars with a blown headgasket have the same results, 720s does not have the best headgaskets and there have been plenty of fatal failures because of it.
Another potential reason for coolant disappearing could be the water to air coolers, but it wouldn't turn brown and there would be plenty of smoke.

This is simple mechanics that anyone that bought their first car on a student budget and their own back will have to have at least know about to not get hustled...

·
Registered
54 Posts

This was my initial thought also. Coolant should not turn brown.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts