McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Future Owner
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the rubber bump stops have been discussed at length, a warning, today I bottomed out going down a rural lane and the rubber puck has punched a hole through the plastic nose section - looks like a whole new front bumper section to me.....Anyone got any idea how much these cost? Should I try one of the alternatives that are available?

Thanks, Chris

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Have a word with mclaren see if you can blag it under warranty perhaps , that shouldn't happen surely ?
Mclaren service have been fantastic to me , great bunch of guys .

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
There is a largish plastic transition piece from the bumper to the undertray which I had a hole punched out when the rubber thingies went AWOL. It cost about £500 to replace although I can't remember the exact cost. It's unlikey that the rubber deflectors can punch a hole in HDPE bumper but can in rigid plastic. HDPE is very elastic.

When I knew I had bottomed the underside out big time I dropped into the local tyre shop and we put the car on a lift and took a look. They were as interested to see as me......all four wind deflectors on the underside had gone walkies........and I bet they do again, and again.....

The underside damage on my car was clearly not a function of poor design.......more a function of speed, unstable road surface and misappropriation of public funds on Govt salaries and poor quality road building.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I back out of every driveway, never do I ever go nose first. I also have skid plates too, but they would not prevent the rubber bumper stops from going through the bumper on a hard hit. Many owners I know have removed them completely.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I back out of every driveway, never do I ever go nose first. I also have skid plates too, but they would not prevent the rubber bumper stops from going through the bumper on a hard hit. Many owners I know have removed them completely.
Where did you get the skid plates?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Where did you get the skid plates?
McLaren Newport Beach has them, around $400 plus a little installation time. They cannot be seen unless you get down on the ground and look under the bumper. Gives me piece of mind.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
How do i remove the rubber "thingies"?
A socket and a screwdriver,very easy as many of us have ripped them partly off and had to replace them,its easy enough and they cost £28 each last time,i hope its not one of the parts they have tripled in price as i class them as a consumable:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I'm going to say with your fingers or your mates, if we're talking the same "rubber thingies". LOL��.Cheers....����
Kevin!!! Get the Lady to do it not your mate,what are you getting up to in your part of the world:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts