McLaren Life banner

Break in period?

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mobiousblack 
#1 ·
So I finally received my MP4-12c a few days ago, it has around 120KM on the speedometer.

Our head guy for Mclaren sales over here seems to be quite the idiot when it comes to car information. So I wanted to go ahead and ask owners about this. I actually went full throttle today just to see what she can do (on track mode for both handling and power train). It was just for a very short period of time. The guy tells me that you can push the RPM to its limits but just don't go over 240kmph, I thought it was the other way around? Is there any chance that I might have damaged my car? Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Very doubtful you'd damage your car. Those break in periods are largely for your own safety since the tires and brakes ought to be broken in before attempting anything too crazy.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, you have set my mind at ease. Random question though, how to get the owner tag under your name?

#5 ·
No need to worry at all mobius. In fact my rep said I could even max revs during break-in, once in a while, as long as engine was warmed up. One of the forum mods will give you the Owner title, as soon as they notice. You could try posting info about your delivery in the Who has taken delivery thread, to speed it up. Welcome to the board!

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies you guys are great! I posted my cars pictures in the picture thread so hopefully a mod will notice them there. This was such a warm welcome and I am glad I found this awesome community!

#7 ·
not to pretend to be a McLaren or Ricardo engineer but....based on race engine experience...

The engine needs to have the rings set and that is about it. Ideally you need to vary the rpms up and down and not run the engine at the same rpm on the highway.

Always try to get the engine oil temp up to operating range before giving it much throttle or boost.

Initial brake-in could be accomplished in an hour of driving. Certainly would like to hear Ricardo's point of view.

#8 ·
the engines are run to full power on the dyno, before being sent to MPC.
Just dont over stress the engine while it is new, and never use full power or full throttle when the engine and fluids are cold. But that is the same for any engine.
Lets see some pictures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.