McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my 12C the dealer told me to take it easy on it for 600 mi or 1000 km. That meant not to rev it over 7000 rpm and no launch starts. Was just wondering if everyone is told that across the board and if so, did everyone abide by it? I'm finding it pretty hard not to drive the car hard. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If you want to stay out of Jail...........run it in........but 7000 rpm in 7th will take you direct to Jail!

Drive it normally but make sure the engine is warm first.....oh and tyres.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
Trust me, even shifting up at 5000 is plenty fast enough and right in the middle of the torque curve.
Manual just says use range of revs, across the gears, try not to sit at one speed for long periods in same gear, don't rev from cold. Essentially drive normally, but hold back from full bore warp acceleration until you've got some miles on the clock.
Nb. Judging by some of the criminally low mileages reported on used 12Cs on the market, some cars will probably take 3 owners to get there.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Trust me, even shifting up at 5000 is plenty fast enough and right in the middle of the torque curve.
Manual just says use range of revs, across the gears, try not to sit at one speed for long periods in same gear, don't rev from cold. Essentially drive normally, but hold back from full bore warp acceleration until you've got some miles on the clock.
Nb. Judging by some of the criminally low mileages reported on used 12Cs on the market, some cars will probably take 3 owners to get there.
Good advice and how can you own these cars and not drive them:mad:
Surely all the low mileage examples are not failed speculators:( Stupid

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys...I'm itching to drive the car all the time, so I'm almost done with the break in, but I was bad a few times but never kept the needle in the same range for any measurable length of time. Got it over 100 mph a few times but at 120 mph one of the loose windshield flaps started coming off so I had to back off. Is double-sided tape in UK not as strong as it is in the States ;)

Besides, having an LP 640 which didn't even have full power until you warmed it up for at least 15 min, I'm used to making sure that my 12C oil gage is out of the blue and into gray before I even start driving it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Got it over 100 mph a few times but at 120 mph one of the loose windshield flaps started coming off so I had to back off.
Try a couple of inches of duct tape either side of the flap. Doesn't look pretty but stops it interfering with the fun :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
How on earth does someone sell a car with barely delivery miles? I reckon to get mine run in within 36 hours, max, might be sooner. Before I finalise my plans, who claims the fastest/ shortest run-in period thus far?

·
Smitten
285 Posts
Here's my marker, 1,150 miles in 24 hours of driving over my first weekend with her.

How's your running in expedition planning coming along?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks guys...I'm itching to drive the car all the time, so I'm almost done with the break in, but I was bad a few times but never kept the needle in the same range for any measurable length of time. Got it over 100 mph a few times but at 120 mph one of the loose windshield flaps started coming off so I had to back off. Is double-sided tape in UK not as strong as it is in the States ;)
I had the same probem @ 100mph. The dealer installed some super-sticky double-sided tape they received from the UK and now everything is fine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Harry, you certainly did a great job there and set the bar high. It seems though that your 1150 miles was set over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I am intending to start at 0 mins from registration, ie midnight, and run in in 1 day, actually the requisite 600 miles should be achieved by mid-day. The question is whether to leave it at that or do a bit more. I don't think you actually ran it in in the first day. Run-in in the first 12 hours is the target.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
Yeah, 'only' did about 400 miles day one before duvet stopped play. I reckon my 600 would have been somewhere around lunchtime day 2 just short of Ullapool.

If you have a whole weekend to play with there shouldn't be any question about leaving it at that or doing more!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same probem @ 100mph. The dealer installed some super-sticky double-sided tape they received from the UK and now everything is fine.
It freaked me out because the noise was quite loud but I'll get the dealer to get it fixed when I take it in for my paint fix etc...Actually, I'm quite surprised at how only small problems seem to pop up with the ownership of 12C considering that it is a brand new car built completely from scratch.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes, great route Harry, I have done much that trip over a hundred times as I had relatives at Gairloch and often went up to Ullapool, but not since they died (old age). So my route is pretty much planned and will be kept secret until afterwards. I also plan a trip to our cottage in Croatia before the car is a month old, so will take in parts of Germany for sure, but avoiding Switzerland. The car needs to be well run in by then. Do I need gaffa tape in the boot? When I took a Lotus elite to Monaco many years ago and it snapped the suspension, then was rebuilt with the wrong bolts (for europa) specially sent from Paris. The agent in Norfolk said afterwards that I should have taken spare suspension bolts with me!!!
Also the wiper broke, (then we had a rainstorm) and the "local" Lotus agent in Marseilles had never seen a Lotus elite before!!! Then on the way home, the head gasket went, and at anything over 70mph blew all the water out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts