McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
2012 MP4-12C
2,428 Posts
if a rod broke the car should drive perfect ? i don't think so..
I guess you're the expert here, wondering why you bothered asking.

2012 MP4-12C
2,428 Posts
seems no one is an expert here.....
I know when my car makes funny noises, I say it runs fine and decline any suggestion of what's wrong after asking what could be wrong. /Sarcasm

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I know when my car makes funny noises, I say it runs fine and decline any suggestion of what's wrong after asking what could be wrong. /Sarcasm
Good grief, give the guy a break, he just bought a brand new 720 that you're suggesting might require a new engine, and he's in a country with no main dealer! It's not too much of a stretch to think that a broken rod would preclude any possibility of the engine running normally.

2012 MP4-12C
2,428 Posts
Good grief, give the guy a break, he just bought a brand new 720 that you're suggesting might require a new engine, and he's in a country with no main dealer! It's not too much of a stretch to think that a broken rod would preclude any possibility of the engine running normally.
It's also not a stretch to think a knocking in the engine isn't internals, which will require engine out to determine the issue anyway. Saying it's not something inside doesn't make it not something inside.

2012 MP4-12C
2,428 Posts
Which makes your original reply that it "sounds like a rod broke" even more mystifying.
Right, because it does sound like it. I didn't say it definitely is, I didn't quote a job to fix it. The only way to know for sure is pull the engine and take it apart.

·
Registered
McLaren 12c 2012
796 Posts
that's definitely not a rod, without being with the car is hard to tell exactly what it is. but its not a rod. Its not what the mclaren dealer says it is either. Im with @restosud on this one.

As others say, dont even touch it and DEMAND it fixed or a replacement, thats not acceptable AT ALL, a new car should come perfect.

Dont touch the car further before they blame it on you or deny help.

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
370 Posts
I watched the video, heard the noise - it told me to become a Hare-Krishna, donate all my worldly possessions to the guy with the noisy 720S and go live among the lepers of Timbuktu. Can someone give me a lift that way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I watched the video, heard the noise - it told me to become a Hare-Krishna, donate all my worldly possessions to the guy with the noisy 720S and go live among the lepers of Timbuktu. Can someone give me a lift that way?
My oh my!!! Stranger than fiction. I heard the exact same thing. I’m on my way there too. i shall pick you up en route. Warning: the Frunk is already full!

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
370 Posts
Mashing the pedal to the floor causes the 720S to swerve violently to the side and fly 50m through the air. It's a feature, not a bug.

Reactions: invisiblewave
21 - 40 of 42 Posts