McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
2012 MP4-12C
2,430 Posts
Hello,

my name is David I just got my 720s brand new.

when I start the engine I heard very strong knocking noise.

the problem that I don’t have any dealership in my country.

Can Someone help me please? Video below:

Sounds like a rod broke.

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
428 Posts
Is the knocking noise coming from the engine specifically or could it be the rear wing when you hit manual mode/wing up mode? I’m not saying it’s not the motor...but if it sounds like a loud ‘clunk’ when pushing the top center button where all of the ‘modes’ are then it could simply be the hydraulics for the rear wing. Just a thought...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the knocking noise coming from the engine specifically or could it be the rear wing when you hit manual mode/wing up mode? I’m not saying it’s not the motor...but if it sounds like a loud ‘clunk’ when pushing the top center button where all of the ‘modes’ are then it could simply be the hydraulics for the rear wing. Just a thought...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
knocking noise coming from the engine specifically.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey

Let me know if you have more directions what to check. thanks!

·
Registered
2020 720 Spider
428 Posts
Sorry...just watched the video..:sounds like possibly a rod to me...but it’s hard to say. Certainly doesn’t sound like a loose piece of aluminum. If you don’t have a dealership there then I’d have an independent sho look at it. If it is a rod or something serious then send it to the closest McLaren dealership...which is likely far away. To be fair...engine failures on 720s are pretty rare...Sorry to hear about your issue...Good luck with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry...just watched the video..:sounds like possibly a rod to me...but it’s hard to say. Certainly doesn’t sound like a loose piece of aluminum. If you don’t have a dealership there then I’d have an independent sho look at it. If it is a rod or something serious then send it to the closest McLaren dealership...which is likely far away. To be fair...engine failures on 720s are pretty rare...Sorry to hear about your issue...Good luck with it.
If its some mechanical issues so i will need to see that on the oil filter element. Maybe it’s a piston pin?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts